TV Star Trek Discussion

okay, i am finally prepared to reveal my inner geek. i was a closet trekkie for a very long time, but now i am open and free about my trekkiness! :D i even wrote a paper on cultural appropriation and resistant viewing in star trek (tos) for my critical gender studies class. ;)

anyway, what was your favorite series? favorite characters? favorite episodes? etc...

i've only watched tng, ds9, and voyager. too young to watch tos (even though i wrote a whole paper on it), and too uninterested in enterprise. my favorite series was voyager, my favorite character was b'elanna, and my favorite episode was faces (when b'elanna was split in two). i can understand how a lot of people didn't think voyager was the best series though (and how it sort of marked the downfall for the entire star trek...what's the word...genre?).

okay, i'm going to feel like a huge nerd if i turn out to be the only trekkie on this entire forum. :thinking: but hey, this IS the sci-fi thread after all, and what's a sci-fi thread without star trek? :smiley:

I'll give. I've seen the original series--come on, it's in perpetual re-run--I liked it very much (except for the third season, which was a travesty for the most part), so I tried out the other series.

My favorite series by far is Deep Space Nine because of its complexity and the fact that it had continuing stories (I like that sort of thing, hey I also like Alias and Buffy . . .). It also had a lot of Cardassians and they are my favorite extraterrestrial race--they are ruthless without having to layer on a whole bunch of ritual about it like the Klingons--bah! If you're ruthless, be ruthless! Don't make excuses for it! My favorite character is Garak. Secrets, espionage, complexity, and hidden despair--hm, sound like anybody we know? I also developed rather a fondness for Weyoun--not that I liked him that much, I admire Jeffrey Combs' acting a great deal and he was great as the oily Vorta. Things changed on the program. Relationships changed, and things at the end of the series weren't the same as at the start.

What I liked about the original series was exploring the character of Spock as a half-alien. Also, it was interesting in that there was some friction between the characters, especially between Spock and McCoy. I always thought the relationships in Next Generation were just a little too perfect. It was annoying.

I really didn't care too much for Voyager. We lost the ability to get UPN for a year or two and I really didn't miss it too much. As for Enterprise, I'm watching it, but as far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out. There's some potential there, but it has some problems. It's being a bit revisionist about the Vulcans, continuing a trend started by the later series. But they have cast Jeffrey Combs in a recurring role as an Andorian, which is good to see, and two of his episodes have been among the stronger ones. Let's just say that if they put it up against Alias, no contest! Alias all the way.
;)

O cool! I like Star Trek too! :smiley: I wasn't even born yet when tng cam out but i've watched reruns. it's okay. i ds9 but i was little so i didn't really get it a whole lot. i feel so sorry for the captains wife and son though! he had to go and his wife was pregnant!

what's weird is that voyager is my favorite too and b'elanna was my favorite character too! :smiley:

I love star trek! I think the original series is a little... underdeveloped, but that could be because it was made such a long time ago... I really like New Generation, although I do miss spock. And i havn't watched any of the others :(

oops, i sort of left this topic dangling, sorry! :(

i don't know, i never really caught onto ds9. a lot of the storylines were very religious, focusing on sisko as the emissary and the bajorans' prophecies and whatnot. it did get easier to watch later on with the introduction of the dominion. and i never did see jadzia and worf as a good match! :angry: nor did i think worf and troi or worf and ezri were good matches!! worf wasn't good with anyone except k'ehlar (sp?) but she died, so... :confused:

and i haven't seen nemesis yet! no one will go see it with me! :(

and yay for voyager and b'elanna! :D

yeah... on my ski trip earlier this year they had teh 3rd movie on tv and i really wanted to watch and i finaly persuaded my friends to watch and they kept laughing at it and saying how cheesy it was :(

DS9 is starting to come out on DVD now . . . so it ought to be becoming available for rental. (As usual, 1st season weaker than following seasons)
;)

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of commercials for it. I would buy it but since Star Trek is a big thing I could probably watch it on like tnn or somethin'.

I am a huge trekie! My favorite used to be Voyager, then it was DS9 now its Enterprise, but I still LOVE DS9!!

I love Star Trek!! It's creepy how much I love it lol. I really can't take TOS b/c it's so CHEESY!!! the special effects are retarded. I love love LOVE TNG tho!! I upset for days when Data died in Nemesis!! ah! I love Troi!! She's my favorite character from TNG and I love how Troi and Riker got married in Nemesis (i just loved nemesis in general ... hehe) and yea. cool stuff. My sister was really into DS9, and I thought it was okay,but my TOTAL favorite w/o a doubt is Voyager. Mainly b/c of captain janeway. LOVE HER!! lol. And Paris is freakin CUTE I mean ... what a hottie he is/was! lol (hes a bit old now ...) I like b'elanna too, but she isnt my fave. I also liked 7 of 9 a lot, and i catch jeri ryan on boston public weekly (bp was one of my fave shows and when she joined the cast i was all like ... whoohoo!) And i SERIOUSLY think they need to make a voyager movie so Janeway and Chakotay can get together! 7of9 is waaay out of his league!! Come on ppl would they be going out in real life? I THINK NOT. ummmm. I also really like Enterprise. I think Hoshi and Tucker need to hook up and OBVIOUSLY T'Pol and Captain Archer. In case u coudn't tell ... i like it when ppl hook up! HAHHA. im a hopeless romantic. it's frightening.

YEEEAA that's about it.

I'm a trekkie ... deal with it.

WOW!! That was amazing!! You descibed me to a t! Except I was'ent bumed out when data died. And B'Lanna was my fave, and Janeway she was sooo cooL! I even had a crush on Tom too!! And for Hoshi and Trip... I used to want it to be trip and T'pol, but I relized he's to good for her, so HOSHI AND TRIP!! But if they did put them together I would'ent mind. Archer and T'pol! Eeew, gross, don't you think he is a little um..well, OLD!lol
Sorry, but all in all we r really alike...

C'mon, in actual years, T'Pol's a lot older than Archer! (character-wise)
:lol:

Back