Science Star Trek's "Synthehol" now a reality?

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
In the Star Trek universe "Synthehol" is an artificial alcohol replacement that tastes like alcohol and gives the drinker the same feeling of inebriation but doesn't have the same hangover results nor negative health impacts. In yet another example of reality catching up with Star Trek, somebody has come up with a "hangover free" artificial alcohol replacement.

f33d_star_trek_tumbler_inuse.jpg

Hangover free alcohol is finally here

'Hangover-free alcohol’ could replace all regular alcohol by 2050, says David Nutt
The new drink, known as 'alcosynth', is designed to mimic the positive effects of alcohol but doesn’t cause a dry mouth, nausea and a throbbing head

The Imperial College Professor and former government drugs advisor told The Independent he has patented around 90 different alcosynth compounds.

Two of them are now being rigorously tested for widespread use, he said – and by 2050, he hopes alcosynth could completely replace normal alcohol.

“It will be there alongside the scotch and the gin, they'll dispense the alcosynth into your cocktail and then you'll have the pleasure without damaging your liver and your heart,” he said.

By researching substances that work on the brain in a similar way to alcohol, Professor Nutt and his team have been able to design a drug which they say is non-toxic and replicates the positive effects of alcohol.

“We know a lot about the brain science of alcohol; it's become very well understood in the last 30 years,” said Professor Nutt.

“So we know where the good effects of alcohol are mediated in the brain, and can mimic them. And by not touching the bad areas, we don't have the bad effects.”

According to Professor Nutt, the effects of alcosynth last around a couple of hours – the same as traditional alcohol

Interesting, but not Synthehol as I understood it. I was under the impression that Star Trek's Synthehol is taste and smell only, with no significant intoxication resulting. Checked the Memory Alpha wiki though and it's a bit...vague, so I'm not completely sure.

Mr. Scotty preferred a good old Scotch wiskey! I think Texas select is as close to synthehol that is possible for now...;)

Back