Star Wars Galaxies

I was not a fan of the SWG changes and maybe if they started the game as it is, I might still be playing but the changes they did not only really changed the sandbox game I really enjoyed but also the community members as a whole. Almost everyone I know from meeting in game do not play anymore at all.

But one thing I will say about the beast mastery is that when they pulled out creature handlers they did state that they would be bringing it back in some form in the future as well as a bioengineering I do believe.

I personally just am not of the way it is designed now but I am sure some still enjoy and the newbies surely will :smiley:

Actually, it was stated that Creature Handler and Bio Engineer was gone for good. But....

Helios said:
Creature Handler and Bio Engineer will not be returning to SWG. The code for those profession is imcompatible with this version of SWG. If Creature Handler gameplay is to return to the game, most of those system will need to be re-written. To prevent confusion, we would call this new version Beast Mastery and Genetic Engineering. This is a brainstorming concept document. Implementation or scheduling is neither guaranteed nor implied. This is simply a "Request For Comments".

A new set of expertise would be introduced that allow players to gather creature eggs throughout the galaxy. These eggs can be hatched into baby versions of existing SWG creatures (“hatchlings”) using player crafted incubators. Once a hatchling is born it must be physically and emotionally cared for. Creatures progress, as a function of time, through various stages of development including the hatchling, juvenile, adult and elder phases. Each phase of development has a specific purpose in the life of a creature. For instance, a creature can no longer learn tricks once it reaches the elder phase of development. If a creature is to be genetically mutated into a ferocious creature (combatant) it must be mutated during the juvenile phase. The hatchling phase is most important in determining the base stats of the creature (physical). So on, and so forth.

Each creature has a shared set of stats that will change depending on how well the creature is cared for. Each creature will have different beginning values for each of these stats. In this way, some creatures will be naturally better for some tasks than others.

All creatures start off as domesticated pets that have no combat value. Domesticated pets can learn a number of abilities (“tricks”). Tricks must be practiced by the pet in order for the pet to reliably perform the trick on command (use based skill gain). Until the pet reaches the elder phase, the pet’s progress for each of the tricks it is learning can and will decay if the tricks aren’t repeatedly practiced. Once a pet reaches the elder phase all skill gains are locked and no new tricks can be learned.

While a pet is in the juvenile phase of development, it can be mutated into a ferocious combatant. Depending on the physical condition of the pet, it may or may not die (permanently) during the mutation process. Once a creature has been successfully mutated into a ferocious creature it unlearns all of their domestic tricks as a result of the genetic stresses of the mutation process. Once successfully mutated, however, creature gains access to a new set of combat tricks. Controlling a ferocious creature requires the handler to devote some amount of concentration to the pet, thus reducing the attack speed of the handler by some percentage.

-The Dark Lord Helios
-Lead Designer
"YEEEE-HAAAWWW!"

blur said:
Aye, that's what I just referred to. I know a guy who built his whole character around it, and when they nerfed it, he didn't just quit the game, he deleted the character and vowed never to play an SOE game again. He is going to go ----ing MENTAL when he hears of this backflip.

SOE is dead to Hammer. He wouldn't go back if they reset the game back to pre-NGE and gave him a free lifetime subscription.

Dirk Gently said:
SOE is dead to Hammer. He wouldn't go back if they reset the game back to pre-NGE and gave him a free lifetime subscription.
I know... have you seen the sig quote I'm sporting over at the TCO forums, lately? Classic :smiley:

I would totally go back and play pre-CU. In fact, I often pine for pre-CU. I loved SWG and desperately miss my old server. :( Oh well.

What am I talking about? Like I have any free time to play games! Hehe!

You realise what makes up your workday intrigues us greatly... as it might give us clues as far as what's going on with HJ ;)

blur said:
You realise what makes up your workday intrigues us greatly... as it might give us clues as far as what's going on with HJ ;)

Heh, they could collect emails from the work week, and anything that isn't classified, they could post.
It would be a great insight to the design process.

When I left SWG I went cold turkey, hehe I had reached the addict stage, logging in automatically then having no idea of what I would do.

As for SOE, never blamed them them for the NGE, there were far to many obvious problems with doing it to be SOE behind it. Even if people don't like SOE they have to admit that SOE have been doing MMOs long enough to know what things you do an do not do. Things like

- you do not release a major change to your game that totally changes gameplay
- you do not work on an expansion offering cool bonuses to professions then on release announce that you plan to scrap those professions.
- you do not do anything major to your game two years after release, if someone is still playing after two years its because they like it the way it is.

Basically I think SOE have too much experience to pull a stunt like the NGE, you don't go looking for new customers at the expense of your existing ones. To me the main cause of the NGE and most of the other problems SWG had was Lucas Arts.

I hope folks do realize that most of the CU and NGE changes in SWG were not brought upon the game by SOE, but rather George Lucas and his folks... right?

The NGE was too sudden to be otherwise. I beleive it took some at SOE by surprise. I'd ask TH, but I am afraid he is constrained by the need to retain his job....

Yeah you could try asking him but he won't give you any answers, everything with SOE is confidential. About all he can tell you is how frustrated he is or something but not why.

I played for a long time on SWG's Test Server and over time picked up lots of bits an pieces. The Devs never commented on the full extent of the contract with Lucas Arts but I got the sense that it was very tight, and over time got the feeling some would have prefered to have never gotten involved in teh first place. Lucas Arts have complete control over all content in SWG, nothing goes in without approval from LA first. If LA doesn't like it then teh SOE devs have to go back to the drawing board and start again. A good example is the Combat revamp, that was rejected lots of times by LA before SOE released the final version. The version shown to the correspondents at the special summit they had was given rave reviews by all who saw it, everyone but LA anyway. A few months later they showed a new preview to the public, showing how there would be 3 types of damage. Again a few months later this was gone.

If anyone ever wanted an example of why its better make a game based on a new idea rather than use an existing property then SWG is a perfect example.

Orba said:
I played for a long time on SWG's Test Server and over time picked up lots of bits an pieces. The Devs never commented on the full extent of the contract with Lucas Arts but I got the sense that it was very tight, and over time got the feeling some would have prefered to have never gotten involved in teh first place. Lucas Arts have complete control over all content in SWG, nothing goes in without approval from LA first. If LA doesn't like it then teh SOE devs have to go back to the drawing board and start again. A good example is the Combat revamp, that was rejected lots of times by LA before SOE released the final version. The version shown to the correspondents at the special summit they had was given rave reviews by all who saw it, everyone but LA anyway. A few months later they showed a new preview to the public, showing how there would be 3 types of damage. Again a few months later this was gone.

If anyone ever wanted an example of why its better make a game based on a new idea rather than use an existing property then SWG is a perfect example.

Yeah, I remember that. I remember when the guys got back from Austin, they were pretty stoked over the CU. .....and when it was finally delivered, it was not what most of us were hoping for. It had....evolved.

Be very careful about laying blame for the CU and the NGE. Heck, even for release. I think everyone had a hand in what happened to some degree.

man SWG. i played for about 5 or 6 months (from day 2) then kept my accoutn active the year i was in Baghdad and came back and played until the CU. i logged in and it made me change my armor to something much less protective then the armor i was wearing. i played for about an hour and logged out. a few months later i donated all my creds and assets to TCO and cancelled my account.

i do miss some things about pre-CU. i actually heped our servers first jedi train for a long time. i was a master combat medic but enough doctor skill to buff. so i would follow him around and heal him as he laid waste to entire herds. i was one of only a handful of people who knew who he was. once we figured out just my seeing him fight was putting him on the BH terminals i would buff him and then go on my way.

THAT was fun for me, part of the secret jedi underground.

hey Scin what was your name in SWG? mine was Ood Zarnell

Ah the glory days.. yeah that was back when I was doing Dancer/Medic with Leonia for RP/Covert purposes. Eventually I ended up pursuing Master Fencer/Master Doctor and I quite enjoyed the set up.. could take and dish out decent damage while healing my party if anyone stole aggro. Was well liked by all the Jedi post-CU on Dantooine because of my ability to take on full lairs of those piket thingies and let 'em beat on me. Hard to believe I was a Bothan chick doing all that work :smiley:

Back