Animation Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Genre: Action & Adventure, Animation, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2008-10-03

Creator: George Lucas

Cast: Matt Lanter, James Arnold Taylor, Ashley Eckstein, Dee Bradley Baker, Tom Kane, Matthew Wood

Overview: Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu and other Jedi Knights lead the Grand Army of the Republic against the droid army of the Separatists.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

A strange choice of CGI used there. Very dark imagery combined with exaggerated insectile joint movements in the humanoids. Sort of aimed at kids, but hopefully not too dark for them.

i wish he'd address the EU after return of the jedi. i've seen enough of the clone wars thanks, george. money again! how much does he need?

i really hope the reason that the clone wars was skirted over in the 3 prequels wasn't so he could make this. surely even lucas can't be that calculating.

A strange choice of CGI used there. Very dark imagery combined with exaggerated insectile joint movements in the humanoids. Sort of aimed at kids, but hopefully not too dark for them.

I think I read they wanted the 3D animation look a lot like the comics, that's why it looks a little bit funny.

But dammit, as much of a Star Wars fan I might be, I am just so not a fan of 3D animation. I am even thinking about NOT going to the movies for this one. Bleh.

Ten Reasons Why the Clone Wars TV Series is Going to Rule [Star Wars: Clone Wars]

Of course you're nervous about the new Star Wars: Clone Wars movie, and the 100-episode Clone Wars TV series that will begin airing on Cartoon Network this fall. Maybe you feel a little burned by episodes I-III, or the idea of an animated series gives you burning visions of Jar Jar. But have no fear, young Padawans. We've carefully weighed all the evidence, watched all the clips, and studied the Clone Wars back story carefully by combing through the comic books and "expanded universe" novels. And we bring good news. Clone Wars is going to be awesome — here are ten reasons why.

1. Dooku vs. Palpatine
In the movies, the Sithy Separatist leader Count Dooku is in league with Palpatine (Darth Sidious), and there are very few hints that he's much more than a very competent henchman. But in fact, he has his own agenda and has a whole future planned for the Separatists, a group that includes most of the galaxy's free traders and techie types. Clone Wars will focus on how Dooku's Separatists push for their agenda against Palpatine's power-grabbing imperialists. I like the idea of free traders vs. fascists. It's an interesting clash, with our Jedi heroes right in the middle.

2. Female ninjas
No offense to Leia and Padme, but on the scale of princess to ninja they were pretty far to the princess end of things. In Clone Wars, we're going to get some seriously kickass female ninjas mixing it up with the Jedi Knights. Anakin's padawan Ahsoka is fearless and strong, and Obi Wan Kenobi will meet his nemesis, the powerful assassin Asajj Ventress.

3. Clone rights
At the heart of this series will be a biology vs. technology theme, with the Jedi-led clone army fighting the Separatist-led droid armies. Will biotech soldiers prove better than techtech ones? More important, though, is that we'll watch as the clones begin to overcome their programming and become individuals. Will there be clone rights? Clone romance? These are the kinds of weird questions that make me excited about this series.

4. Clone Wars is new-school YA fiction
Perhaps influenced by a new generation of YA fiction with more adult themes, Clone Wars will be aimed at young people but will shed the kiddie comic relief of the Star Wars movies. Instead of identifying with Jar Jar or C3P0, kids watching Clone Wars can put themselves in the boots of the brave, wisecracking Ahsoka.

5. The Jedi come in shades of grey
We've seen a few Jedi in the movies, and we know they can be either good Knights or evil Sith. But we haven't seen the full range of Jedi powers (many Jedi have unique powers that go beyond telekinesis), nor have we seen them when they stop being polite and start going badass on the battlefield. I'm excited to find out about Luminara's powers, and what Kit Fisto can do with all those tentacles. The point is, it's not just Sith vs. Jedi — it's the many shades of Jedi.

6. War dramas are instant win
While every episode of the Star Wars movies has dealt with a decisive battle or coup, none of the movies could be classified as a "war film" proper. They are epics, character studies, political melodramas, and space operas — but none has focused on the lives of soldiers and officers waging a several-year campaign. It's about time we learned about the lives of grunts in the army of the Republic, and got some good soldier banter going.

7. More droids
The Separatist forces are packed with trade associations and tech guilds, so they have the latest droids with all the most up-to-date service packs installed. Expect serious coolness in the droid department: Those rolling shielded guys from Attack of the Clones are just the beginning. The fact that the series is animated will only add to the awesomeness of these droids, who look best in a stylized, CGI environment anyway.

8. Dooku backstory
He was once a Jedi, and he semi-trained his assassin Ventress in the ways of the Dark Side even though she was never Jedi material. What other weirdness lurks in Dooku's past? Why did he turn to the Dark Side? Why did he start the Separatist rebellion in the first place? We've got 100 episodes to find out.

9. Anakin as ironic hero
Knowing what we do about how Anakin turns out, it's a strange and intriguing irony that he's going to be our hero in this series. Even as we see him being a good mentor to a sympathetic young woman (Ahsoka), we know he has a dark side — and we know that he's lying to the Jedi every day since his secret marriage to Padme. Anakin has acquired a lot of creepy depth during the Star Wars series, and the Clone Wars were probably the time in his life when he could have turned it all around and told the Dark Side to stick it. And yet we know he won't: That each act of kindness and bravery is going to go sour one day soon. That makes for a pretty dark war tale, and I'm down with it.

10. Second-generation Star Wars sensibility
Filoni and Winder have both been associated with contemporary game-changing animated series: Filoni with Avatar and Winder with Powerpuff Girls. If they can successfully infuse the sweep of the Star Wars universe with a contemporary burst of anime sensibility and good humor, Star Wars will reach a new generation. And reawaken the first generation's love for a franchise that once felt like the most amazing new thing any of us had ever seen.

(Via io9)

Last edited by a moderator:
as this gets nearer to release i find my interest waning more every day. i just have a bad feeling about it...

The more I find out about this film, The less I want to see it.
What kills me is that some of the commercials are playing up the angle of Anakin Skywalker having his own padawan (apprentice) who is a teenage girl and I can't help but think...

When the events of Episode III take place, does he kill her also?

I know that dark question will be on my mind every time I watch a Clone Wars episode.

‘The Clone Wars’ Abandons ‘Star Wars’ Crawl: Find Out Why!

140x105.jpg
In the new animated “Star Wars: The Clone Wars”, you get to see two major new characters and a whole host of new stories. (Read the full “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” interview with George Lucas here.)

But one thing you won’t see is perhaps the most familiar of all “Star Wars” tropes. And its absence will be noticed immediately.

“Because we originally developed this as a TV series, George [Lucas] felt that the crawl wasn’t going to be effective as a way to introduce the audience to the TV series,” director Dave Filoni said of the ‘Star Wars’ crawl, the distinctive prologue which has begun every single feature adventure so far. “He wanted it to be faster and he wanted to do it visually.”

Instead, Filoni and Co. utilized a “Starship Troopers” esque newsreel trope, complete with 1940s style radio announcer.

“We kind of borrowed from old serials that would have like the little circular wipes and show you what Flash Gordon was up to the last time you were at the theater and we did it in a more traditional sense,” Filoni said of the change. “The narration also is kind of a nod to old newsreel footage that you could see during a war, where they would update you on where the allies were at and their battle against the axis.”

But more than anything, though, it was a chance, Filoni said, to clue an audience into thinking that this wasn’t your father’s “Star Wars,” even though it kind of is.

“It was an attempt to say to the audience, ‘This is animated but it’s different in a couple more ways than that,’” Filoni said. “It’s going to be a new experience even though its involved with the characters you know and love.”

But… but… no Star Wars crawl! Read all about “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” here and let us know – are you ok with them beginning differently? Sound off below.

(via MTV Movie Blog)

wbdigi, welcome to Cool Sci-Fi! (y)

I think I read they wanted the 3D animation look a lot like the comics, that's why it looks a little bit funny.
There is definitely an anime influence to them, something that a lot of North American viewers may not be used to.

I have no discourse with the material visually, it is the story lines that are a bit dodgy (eg: Anakin has a 14~ year-old padawan who ends up caring for the infant son of Jaba the Hutt? Umm.....).

I don't think I'll be able to handle the PC/Cartoon version of the missing episode.
I'm thinking "Gaps" stuffed with balderdash?
Too much in too insignificant an arena. Cheapens it, as well it should/is.
Tough for me to get behind/involved.

I've been wrong before.

Let us know (those who see it) if my/our interpretations are founded.

Well, my kids want to see it, so I'll end up watching it at some point soon...

Good news for those who are looking for Lucas to fall flat on his face: the movie made only $15 million domestically over the weekend, putting it in third place behind The Dark Knight... which coincidentally just topped Star Wars for second-highest gross of all time (not adjusted for inflation.)

So I saw Clone Wars, and it was... blah. Kind of boring. Somewhat stupid. Mindless and unworthy of the Star Wars moniker.

I'd honestly say that the Ewoks movies were better and more representative of the overall quality of the series.

:(

Promo Photos Pop as Clone Wars TV Premiere Approaches
Wired said:
With the CG-animated Star Wars: Clone Wars set to premiere on Cartoon Network this Friday, Warner Bros. is ramping up its publicity effort.

The feature film that previewed the series will arrive Blu-ray DVD on Nov. 11.

Meanwhile, a set of promotional photos (such as the harsh glare from General Grievous above) hit the web teasing the series that promises to unveil what a lot of Star Wars fans always thought would be the coolest chapter in the saga since Mark Hamill first mentioned the Clone Wars in A New Hope.
(Via Wired)

TV show information provided by The Movie Database