Sci-Fi Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Tagline: Darkness rises... and light to meet it

Genre: Adventure, Action, Science Fiction

Director: Rian Johnson

Cast: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern, Benicio del Toro, Frank Oz, Billie Lourd, Joonas Suotamo, Amanda Lawrence, Jimmy Vee, Brian Herring, Dave Chapman, Justin Theroux, Tim Rose, Tom Kane, Adrian Edmondson, Mark Lewis Jones, Hermione Corfield, Veronica Ngo, Noah Segan, Jamie Christopher, Paul Kasey, Michaela Coel, Priyanga Burford, Navin Chowdhry, Crystal Clarke, Hugh Skinner, Shauna Macdonald, Kate Dickie, Ralph Ineson, Michael Jibson, Luke Neal, Andy Nyman, Lily Cole, Warwick Davis, Kiran Shah, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mike Quinn, Gareth Edwards, Gary Barlow, Peter Mayhew, Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, Griffin Hamill, Nathan Hamill, Chelsea Hamill, Yang Liang, Bern Collaço, David M. Santana, Andrew Jack, Jonathan Harden, Danny Euston, Aki Omoshaybi, Togo Igawa, Tim Steed, Simon Lowe, Joe Van Moyland, Darren Morfitt, Gerard Monaco, Patrick O'Kane, Paul Bazely, Orion Lee, Amira Ghazalla, Akshay Kumar, Temirlan Blaev, Josiah Oniha, Sara Heller, Matthew Sharp, Jack Greenlees, Danny Sapani, Kevin Layne, Ben Morris, Andrew Abbott, Chris Adams, Samantha Alleyne, Martin Bratanov, Glen Carroll, Cavin Cornwall, James Cox, Steve Doyle, Josh Dyer, Karl Farrer, James Filanowski, David R. Grant, Omar Gudjonsson, Craig Izzard, Christopher Jaciow, Tobias James-Samuels, Dan Lam, Antonio Lujak, Josh Methven, Sandeep Mohan, Ross Moneypenny, Florian Robin, Scott Tanner, Stephanie Silva, Clem So, Leo Thompson, Andy Wareham, William Willoughby, Oscar Wright, Karanja Yorke

Release: 2017-12-13

Runtime: 152

Plot: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Yes, you're reading the title right.... Star Wars movie #8. :eek:

A bit of news today is that Rian Johnson, the writer and director of Looper, is set to to take over the core Star Wars movie starting with VIII. Episode VII (#7) is currently in production under the helm of JJ Abrams. JJ Abrams, of course, jumped to Star Wars from Star Trek.

No word yet on JJ Abrams' future with the franchise after VII.

le and save your money.Hello everyone,

My two sons, and one of my friends saw it tonight. I will not spoil it for anyone, BUT I was not impressed. I would rate this movie at a "C+". There have been way to many reused plot devices used in this series for my taste. I am a die-hard SciFi fan and all I can say is "Enough is Enough". Now my friend that was watching it with me is also a Star Wars fan and we both agree, wait to see it on cable. this being the 8 movie in the series line, along with the other movie Rouge One...the series is "tired". I guess if you were to just see the last movie Star Wars VII, and this one VIII it would be ok. For us it had some "plot Holes" as well to much rehash to really keep it going. I am trying to not spoil anything for anyone here, but I don't plan on paying to see it again. I will also not buy it on DVD/Blue Ray or etc either. I feel they have milked this cash cow a bit much.

I will post more after it has been out for a while. The CGI shots and tech were good, but how many times can you see the same type of shots again? See it and post your thoughts!

le and save your money.Hello everyone,

My two sons, and one of my friends saw it tonight. I will not spoil it for anyone, BUT I was not impressed. I would rate this movie at a "C+". There have been way to many reused plot devices used in this series for my taste. I am a die-hard SciFi fan and all I can say is "Enough is Enough". Now my friend that was watching it with me is also a Star Wars fan and we both agree, wait to see it on cable. this being the 8 movie in the series line, along with the other movie Rouge One...the series is "tired". I guess if you were to just see the last movie Star Wars VII, and this one VIII it would be ok. For us it had some "plot Holes" as well to much rehash to really keep it going. I am trying to not spoil anything for anyone here, but I don't plan on paying to see it again. I will also not buy it on DVD/Blue Ray or etc either. I feel they have milked this cash cow a bit much.

I will post more after it has been out for a while. The CGI shots and tech were good, but how many times can you see the same type of shots again? See it and post your thoughts!
Mad magazine called it Star Bores.....;)

Maybe Star wars and Star Trek should make a film together, heck throw in alien for good measure.;)

go to a afternoon showing (matinee) and buy you tickets online to get a discount. Paying full price for this movie is a waste of money. I remember when Star Wars first movie cam out, as a teenager I paid $1.50 for a ticket and I saw that movie 19 times. With this movie I wait to see it on cable if I have nothing better to do. I was a bit disappointed in it's over all plot and scope. There is so much more that they could have done with plots to go deeper plots. I just feel very empty with what they did and think Walt Disney had far to much say in what did happen in this movie. Far to much "FLUF" and not enough "STUFF" for my taste. Plus to many reused plots that are so tired...how many times can you do the same theme over and over again? The younger crowd may like this movie because they have not seen the other 7 movies, but those of us that have are not impressed.

go to a afternoon showing (matinee) and buy you tickets online to get a discount. Paying full price for this movie is a waste of money. I remember when Star Wars first movie cam out, as a teenager I paid $1.50 for a ticket and I saw that movie 19 times. With this movie I wait to see it on cable if I have nothing better to do. I was a bit disappointed in it's over all plot and scope. There is so much more that they could have done with plots to go deeper plots. I just feel very empty with what they did and think Walt Disney had far to much say in what did happen in this movie. Far to much "FLUF" and not enough "STUFF" for my taste. Plus to many reused plots that are so tired...how many times can you do the same theme over and over again? The younger crowd may like this movie because they have not seen the other 7 movies, but those of us that have are not impressed.
I hear you brother, Matinee it is, I totally agree, the writers make movies like a big video game, Fluff-n-stuff is the order of the day for us intelligent Sci-fi fans. I said earlier in multiple threads and forums the Alien cove, was a let down. The android David did not create the newer aliens, and Prometheus changing the space jockeys head to a human head was the biggest let down of the whole franchise. The planet should have been non-plant, no forest or jungle. it should have been bone, metal, and concrete like all of Gieger's doom scapes. The space jockey was older than most solar systems, and the space jockeys home base should have skeered the dung out of alien fans for generrations to come. As for modern film writers, learn from Kubric, Early Spielburg, Early Lucas, Hell the funny Mel Brooks could write a great sci-fi scipt. I hear you bro!!!
AlienSpaceJockeyFilm-thumb-550x366-38129.jpg
H_R_Giger%20Art%2064.jpg
H_R_Giger%20Art%2064.jpg
AlienSpaceJockeyFilm-thumb-550x366-38129.jpg

I liked Rogue One.
The Force Awakens, for me was Meh but it was well made which is tough to find in the scope of the films I watch.
I think the biggest problem with large scifi franchises is that they lose the sense of wonder and astonishment for those that repeatedly watch them.
A true guage of any film is the reaction of the person seeing it for the first time, with no serious fandom background. They go into the movie without preconceptions.
Some movies are just bad, others are bad because they don't do for us what we expected them to do.

I liked The Dark Tower because it was different and unexpected.
I liked Valerian because it was different and unexpected.
Both are made with the same standards of movie making but they opened new places for my imagination to roam.
Star Wars and Star Trek films make me think my imagination is being directed to go to a familiar place but don't. I see inconsistencies where I should see astonishment and awe.
If you consider how many movies I watch, nearly every movie is a mish-mash of cookie cutter plots and devices. For me, its rare to find a truly rewarding film or TV show.
Most feel like, Meh, been there, done that.
That being said, I will get and watch this movie because it is part of a collection.

Sounds like by reading the comments here. the allure of star wars is dead/
Yeup, it is too commercial, the writers have no vision, its just the same-o, same-o. Star wars is based on ww-2 and eventually it was won in a few years. So the film is petering out.....

Mrs. Kevin & I saw this one New Year's Eve in 3D at the local Movie Tavern; personally I don't get the negative reviews of it. The trilogy of trilogies has always been about the rise, fall, and redemption of the Skywalker family line. Anybody expecting to see Luke Skywalker in his glory days of the original trilogy will be sorely disappointed but unless they want to see a CGI''ed Mark Hamill or a different actor in the role then the new trilogy is bringing closure to characters. If the SW movies are to continue they can't rely upon the same old characters lest we end up with a reboot like Star Trek.

Plot line, yeah, there are some holes and die-hard SW fans will likely find fault with elements, like the lack of a backstory for Snoke and the nature of Luke's self-imposed exile. The only thing I'm really let down by was that there was a way to have had Carrie Fisher's death be part of the story line and it wasn't taken.
... Leia should have faded away at the same time Luke did. She was already injured since the beginning of the film, was weakened, and was tuned in to Luke. It would have been a lot more fitting end to the character whereas now her absence from IX will end up being offscreen.

Something fans should appreciate is that the explanation as to what is the "Force" is more aligned to the original trilogy versus the silly midichlorians explanation from the prequel trilogy.

I think what some fans may not like about this one is that there are no heroes, nearly every character ended up being tarnished a bit. For an analogy I would go with saying that it was the Star Wars brush clearing by fire; to start anew some of the old has to be burned.

I wouldn't say I loved the movie to where I would watch it multiple times at the theatre (I may end up going to see it a second time if our niece wants to see it), but I enjoyed it enough that I'll probably ask for it on DVD for a birthday or Christmas next year. I have to agree with Kevin's comments on Leia and the path that I honestly thought they were going to take (but didn't).

Watched the Bluray of it last night. Yeah, its Star Wars but yeah, lame.
It had all the Star Wars elements but also had some really stupid stuff.
Plus, it felt like it was trying to shove excitement down my throat with scenes that were not really exciting.
Oh sure, there was a lot of action going on but I felt nothing for the characters.
There were a 'few' creature designs that were interesting and more that were lame.
Plus, why is it that every movie has a 'cantina scene'.
Come to think of it, every movie has the same scenes with different characters and effects.
If you've seen the original trilogy, you've seen them all.

That being said, I did like the huge 1st Order ships, just wish I got a better look at them.

commandship.jpgdreadnought.jpg

Now I believe a newerest est, star wars film is out, Han Solo's history or something, yayy, teo, teo...;)

This movie was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't intend on seeing the third one at all. Even if I have an afternoon to myself and it's on for free.

Yeup, it is too commercial, the writers have no vision, its just the same-o, same-o. Star wars is based on ww-2 and eventually it was won in a few years. So the film is petering out.....
Star wars is the most commercial product ever. Right from Day 1 Lucas was selling action figures and lunchboxes. Star wars sits in this really weird place where people who like it consider it nerdy, yet star wars it's self is so incredibly popular that it is hard to call it anything but the biggest movie franchise of all time. How you co-exist as a niche series and yet the biggest one ever is beyond me.

The movie is offensively bland. There's nothing to like here, none of the cast members are likeable and you have no story happening. It's rather sad that Episode 3's saber fighting looked so good and this movies fight scenes are worse than power rangers from 25 years ago. You would think with how heavy Disney rely on action scenes to carry their special effects movies they might hire proper fight instructors and teach them how to do fisticuffs.I've seen better back yard wrestler performances.