Sci-Fi Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

$0 - B

Groke

Cadet
I only ask because of the robot having red hot rods placed on his feet. He seems in an awful lot of discomfort.

Why would someone create a (service) droid capable of feeling pain? Emotions, yes – they aid human/alien to droid relations, but surely pain is a bit pointless?

Simon Tall

Tall Englishman
I dont think they feel pain but would probably be programmed to avoid destruction in order to fulfill their function (e.g. repairing space ships from the outside!).
The red hot rods may cause the droid to fail and be destroyed therefore it fears it...

Just an idea..

Groke

Cadet
Good point. Alternatively, it might have just felt queasy being hung upside down!

You wouldn't get that from an Astro Droid - much better put together they are!

Starbeast from Planet X

Benevolent Galaxy Being
No, no, nooooooooooo!

I only ask because of the robot having red hot rods placed on his feet. He seems in an awful lot of discomfort.

Why would someone create a (service) droid capable of feeling pain? Emotions, yes – they aid human/alien to droid relations, but surely pain is a bit pointless?

I remember people were laughing at the robots being tortured in the movie Return of the Jedi, but why punish a droid? Wouldn't it be the programmers fault? And couldn't they just reprogram the droid? Perhaps Jabba liked a dungeon atmosphere.

my 7 year old is a SW expert and will tell you "of course it hurts them!" "They want to exist."

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I dont think they feel pain but would probably be programmed to avoid destruction in order to fulfill their function (e.g. repairing space ships from the outside!).
The red hot rods may cause the droid to fail and be destroyed therefore it fears it...
My thinking is the along these lines as well. In the Star Wars universe many of the droids are sentient beings and as such desire self-preservation like any thinking being would. The hot rods on poor droids casing, in this case the bottom of their feet, likely would not cause pain in the sense that human thinks of pain but to a droid it is likely something that would kick in a 'fight-or-flight' response.

Tom

An Old Friend
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)
MV5BMTQ0MzI1NjYwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODU3NDU2MTE@._V1._CR93,97,1209,1861_SX214_AL_.jpg

PG | 134 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy | 25 May 1983 (USA)
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) - IMDb

Darth Vader and the Empire are building a new, indestructible Death Star. Meanwhile, Han Solo has been imprisoned, and Luke Skywalker has sent R2-D2 and C-3PO to try and free him. Princess Leia - disguised as a bounty hunter - and Chewbacca go along as well. The final battle takes place on the moon of Endor, with its natural inhabitants, the Ewoks, lending a hand to the Rebels. Will Darth Vader and the Dark Side overcome the Rebels and take over the universe?

I found a stream at

VidBull
Watch Return The Jedi[1983]Dv Drip Sub aXXo online - VidBull
325 MB @ 414 kbs

Luke Skywalker has returned to
his home planet of Tatooine in
an attempt to rescue his
friend Han Solo from the
clutches of the vile gangster
Jabba the Hutt.

Little does Luke know that the
GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly