Sci-Fi Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Groke

Cadet
Title: Return of the Jedi

Tagline: The Empire Falls...

Genre: Adventure, Action, Science Fiction

Director: Richard Marquand

Cast: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Sebastian Shaw, Ian McDiarmid, Frank Oz, James Earl Jones, David Prowse, Alec Guinness, Kenny Baker, Michael Pennington, Kenneth Colley, Michael Carter, Denis Lawson, Tim Rose, Dermot Crowley, Caroline Blakiston, Warwick Davis, Jeremy Bulloch, Femi Taylor, Annie Arbogast, Claire Davenport, Jack Purvis, Mike Edmonds, Jane Busby, Malcolm Dixon, Mike Cottrell, Nicki Reade, Adam Bareham, Jonathan Oliver, Pip Miller, Tom Mannion, Margo Apostolos, Ray Armstrong, Eileen Baker, Michael Henbury Ballan, Bobby Bell, Patty Bell, Alan Bennett, Sarah Bennett, Pamela Betts, Danny Blackner, Linda Bowley, Peter Burroughs, Debbie Lee Carrington, Maureen Charlton, Willie Coppen, Sadie Corre, Tony Cox, John Cumming, Jean D'Agostino, Luis De Jesus, Debbie Dixon, Margarita Fernández, Phil Fondacaro, Sal Fondacaro, Tony Friel, Daniel Frishman, John Ghavan, Michael Gilden, Paul Grant, Lydia Green, Lars Green, Pam Grizz, Andrew Herd, J.J. Jackson, Richard Jones, Trevor Jones, Glynn Jones, Karen Lay, John Lummiss, Nancy MacLean, Peter Mandell, Carole Morris, Stacie Nichols, Chris Nunn, Barbara O'Laughlin, Brian Orenstein, Harrell Parker Jr., John Pedrick, April Perkins, Ronnie Phillips, Katie Purvis, Carol Read, Nicholas Read, Diana Reynolds, Danielle Rodgers, Chris Romano, Dean Shackelford, Kiran Shah, Felix Silla, Linda Spriggs, Gerald Staddon, Josephine Staddon, Kevin Thompson, Kendra Wall, Brian Wheeler, Butch Wilhelm, Mark Dodson, Simon J. Williamson, Richard Bonehill, David Gonzales, Peter Roy, Erik Bauersfeld, Mike Quinn, Bill Kipsang Rotich, Deep Roy, Alisa Berk, Hugh Spight, Swee Lim, Richard Robinson, Gerald Home, Phil Herbert, Tim Dry, Sean Crawford, Phil Tippett, Toby Philpott, David Alan Barclay, Larry Ward, Jasper Jacob, Peter Allen, John Altman, Glyn Baker, Dickey Beer, Ailsa Berk, Don Bies, Paul Brooke, Ben Burtt, Maurice Bush, Trevor Butterfield, Vivienne Chandler, Tony Clarkin, Kenneth Coombs, Andy Cunningham, Peter Diamond, Richard Driscoll, Douglas Farrell, Alan Flyng, Ernie Fosselius, Stuart Fox, Isaac Grand, Gordon Hann, Alan Harris, Walter Henry, Philip Herbert, Larry Holt, William Hoyland, Colin Hunt, Monty Jordan, Michael Josephs, Eiji Kusuhara, Anthony Lang, Arnold Lee, Julius LeFlore, John Maloney, Paul Markham, Richard Marquand, Hilton McRae, Billy J. Mitchell, Amanda Noar, Terry Sach, Errol Shaker, Paul Springer, Guy Standeven, David Stone, Jules Walters, Robert Watts, Pat Welsh, Paul Weston, Corey Dee Williams, Michael Stevens, Michael McCormick

Release: 1983-05-25

Runtime: 135

Plot: Luke Skywalker leads a mission to rescue his friend Han Solo from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt, while the Emperor seeks to destroy the Rebellion once and for all with a second dreaded Death Star.
Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

I only ask because of the robot having red hot rods placed on his feet. He seems in an awful lot of discomfort.

Why would someone create a (service) droid capable of feeling pain? Emotions, yes – they aid human/alien to droid relations, but surely pain is a bit pointless?

I dont think they feel pain but would probably be programmed to avoid destruction in order to fulfill their function (e.g. repairing space ships from the outside!).
The red hot rods may cause the droid to fail and be destroyed therefore it fears it...

Just an idea..

Good point. Alternatively, it might have just felt queasy being hung upside down!

You wouldn't get that from an Astro Droid - much better put together they are!

No, no, nooooooooooo!

I only ask because of the robot having red hot rods placed on his feet. He seems in an awful lot of discomfort.

Why would someone create a (service) droid capable of feeling pain? Emotions, yes – they aid human/alien to droid relations, but surely pain is a bit pointless?

I remember people were laughing at the robots being tortured in the movie Return of the Jedi, but why punish a droid? Wouldn't it be the programmers fault? And couldn't they just reprogram the droid? Perhaps Jabba liked a dungeon atmosphere.

my 7 year old is a SW expert and will tell you "of course it hurts them!" "They want to exist."

I dont think they feel pain but would probably be programmed to avoid destruction in order to fulfill their function (e.g. repairing space ships from the outside!).
The red hot rods may cause the droid to fail and be destroyed therefore it fears it...
My thinking is the along these lines as well. In the Star Wars universe many of the droids are sentient beings and as such desire self-preservation like any thinking being would. The hot rods on poor droids casing, in this case the bottom of their feet, likely would not cause pain in the sense that human thinks of pain but to a droid it is likely something that would kick in a 'fight-or-flight' response.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)
MV5BMTQ0MzI1NjYwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODU3NDU2MTE@._V1._CR93,97,1209,1861_SX214_AL_.jpg

PG | 134 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy | 25 May 1983 (USA)
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) - IMDb

Darth Vader and the Empire are building a new, indestructible Death Star. Meanwhile, Han Solo has been imprisoned, and Luke Skywalker has sent R2-D2 and C-3PO to try and free him. Princess Leia - disguised as a bounty hunter - and Chewbacca go along as well. The final battle takes place on the moon of Endor, with its natural inhabitants, the Ewoks, lending a hand to the Rebels. Will Darth Vader and the Dark Side overcome the Rebels and take over the universe?

I found a stream at

{...}
Watch Return The Jedi[1983]Dv Drip Sub aXXo online - {...}
325 MB @ 414 kbs

Luke Skywalker has returned to
his home planet of Tatooine in
an attempt to rescue his
friend Han Solo from the
clutches of the vile gangster
Jabba the Hutt.

Little does Luke know that the
GALACTIC EMPIRE has secretly