Sci-Fi Stargate (reboot!)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
qm79WwX.gif
This is a bit of a surprise. The team of Roland Emmerich & Dean Devlin wrote & directed the original Stargate movie. The 1994 movie went on to launch several successful TV series and a bit of a cult following of fans. Now, 20 years later, the same team is returning to reboot the franchise as a possible trilogy of movies!

No news is available yet as to whether it will be a total reboot or if the new movies will be in the same canon as the original movie & series.

From Deadline:

MGM and Warner Bros. announced they are teaming with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin to create a re-imagined trilogy based on the sci-fi hit Stargate, one of the biggest titles in the MGM library. Emmerich, who directed and co-wrote the original film with Devlin, is on board to direct this one, with Devlin producing. Those two are already hard at work on a new version of Independence Day at Fox.

MGM’s Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin “world-class creators of the original Stargate,” and said they will “bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.”

Said Emmerich and Devlin: “The Stargate universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy. This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.” MGM’s Jonathan Glickman will oversee it with Warner Bros’ Greg Silverman. Warners will distribute with MGM handling some international territories. Back in its day, Stargate set the record for highest October gross and did near $200 million in global ticket sales. It went on to have a very successful run as a syndicated TV series.​

I've not watched any of the Stargate movies, but I watched the felgercarb out of Stargate: SG1.

I think Stargate is excellently suited to a TV series, but I don't think there's much point in a movie. That said, if it looks good in the trailers, I'll go see it.

I've not watched any of the Stargate movies, but I watched the felgercarb out of Stargate: SG1.
Definitely go back and watch the original movie! The movie was much darker in tone and the character of Jack O'Neill was totally different from how it was portrayed in the TV shows. For example, in the movie the only reason O'Neill even accepted the SG mission was because he was convinced it was a one-way suicide mission and he was mentally in a bad place at the time. It is why O'Neill is a lot more business like in the beginning of the SG1 series versus. The movie also sets up some story line elements for Daniel Jackson that was covered at various times in the SG1 series.

I think Stargate is excellently suited to a TV series, but I don't think there's much point in a movie. That said, if it looks good in the trailers, I'll go see it.
I really liked the SG-1 series and SGA wasn't bad but I didn't like SG-U at all. The more SG-U went on I mentally kept comparing how similar it was to Star Trek: Voyager.

No we do not need a reboot of Stargate , Reboot will ruin Stargate forever! All we need is A New Seasons of Universe and Atlantis

I would watch anything new with Stargate.
It's a great concept.

Think a new series of some kind would be best though.
But I'll take another movie any day.

/SK

I don't care much for Stargate SG1 but I just flat out loved Atlantis. Not sure what put me off about SG1? I liked Amanda Tapping in Sanctuary but something with the SG1 series just didn't sit right with me. Since I haven't watched Universe yet I will stay silent on that series.

Not sure what put me off about SG1?
Depends on if you watched the early SG1 episodes or the later episodes as it can kind of be looked at as two different series. I know, I know, it was only ever one show but in the beginning the series was much more serious in nature and more of a drama in line with the movie while the later episodes were much more lighter in tone, with O'Neil nearly being a dumbed down comedic character. Personally I preferred the darker episodes that were more drama oriented then comedy oriented.

I think it was more that I felt it was creativity short-handed. Seemed like I was watching the same thing over and over. I expected a wide range of exploration but got chumped by team in peril over and over again. Atlantis had redundancies but the whole unknown technology of the builders had me captured. I love stories about 'Founders & First Ones".