Sci-Fi Stargate: Universe

stargate_universe1-499x331.jpg

Something hit me as I watched episode three of this new series. We may be lamenting the natural death of SG1 and the perhaps unnatural seeming loss of SGA, so we are holding our breathe where SGU is concerned, but are we really giving the due time and effort into watching the new series?

Given that we may be unconsciously lowering our expectations of the last series I have to say that there were moments in this episode that jumped out and made me accept the new series.

robert-carlyle1.jpg.gif
loudiamondphillips.jpg.gif

I haven't really been following the actors, bar the top ones that are listed, Robert Carlyle, Lou Diamond Phillips and a cameo by Richard Dean Anderson.

So these moments came after being kicked off by RDA when he sits there in a form of soliloquy talking about the 'old days' when he felt he was unqualified to do the job where the story is talking about an imperfect team. We could also see this as reaching out to the audience to get us to give the new cast a break, give it some time to settle in.

brian_j_smith_image.jpg.gif
jamil-walker-smith.jpg.gif

So I did. First we look at the two military guys whose confidentials may not have made them in their project leaders eyes as right for the team. They do the job to satisfaction though! The goal is reached. From seeming to belittle the project leader in Carlyle, Jamil Walker Smith's character goes on to obey his orders to the letter at the right time. Then the more qualified soldier struggles with his own demons (RDA style?) to reach his goal.

david-blue.jpg.gif

But is the quirky introduction of the chubby gamer character going to win us over? David Blue is an unknown to me yet a few of his scenes have shown he is capable of convincing emotional acting. Several of his scenes really pulled at me and showed me that this show might be quite character driven and that the choices made in the cast and the direction are actually rather good.

So, I've bitten and any worries about the validity of the show have already been lessened as I look forward to more episodes weekly.

So I'm not the only person watching this show, what is everyone else's opinion so far? It seems to be significantly more dialogue heavy than previous Stargate series but so far I think its really well written and Dexter is the only show on I get more excited for

sorry - I have tried to watch it sooo many times but it is just too much like the new Battlestar Galactica series was - too deep and heavy. I loved the original Stargate series - the the light friendliness and fun it portraied. I just cannot get into this one.

[ Threads merged ]

I've been watching; so far I miss the light-hearted feel of the original SG's which made them enjoyable. SG:U, as ellensin notes above, seems to have been modeled more after the Battlestar Galactica remake instead of the actual SG shows. Any moment I expect to hear the 'drums' soundtrack from BSG and Rush to be exposed as a Cylon. Combine that with the actual premise of the show, a ship lost thousands of years away from home, which we've have already seen recently with ST:Voyager, and SG:U ends up feeling more like a bunch of existing shows & ideas were tossed into a grinder and this is the result.

SG:U is set to automatically record on the DVR but it is shows like Fast Forward, Fringe, and even Sanctuary that I am playing back first.

Yep I agree with the other comments...it's just too darn deep and dramatic for me. When they try to insert too much drama in these shows then they get monotonous to me and just not worth me spending an hour on. I get enough "drama" in everyday life to fill those needs I guess.

For me, the big appeal of SG-1 and Atlantis was the off-world travel, the interaction with new societies and new locales. Things like that offered real escapism, but Universe is mostly confined to the ship and brief excursions for supplies etc. I find it too claustrophobic, and even though I'm slowly starting to connect with the characters, they're much less engaging than before. There are no comical eqivalents of O'Neill and Daniel or Shephard and Rodney, and everyone is too hard-boiled and depressed.

I'm sure thet the series will grow on me eventually, but only once I've reassessed how I look at Stargate.

Stargate Universe ratings recap; renewal likely » GateWorld

If you follow the conversations on GateWorld there's enough detractors for this series popping up. Knocking the communication stones, certain characters, lack of adversary.

Admittedly there is starting to appear some holes in the show IMO and the communication stones scenes have been too close together and producing drab episodes for me. Need more action like the interesting: Time.

There have been some weak episodes, but overall I'd say it's one of the better sci fi shows going right now. I, for one, am glad it lacks the overt lightheartedness of the previous series; I like the more serious approach. I also really appreciate the fact that they're not constantly encountering planets where the inhabitants are either some branch of humanity, or aliens that look like humans with makeup. The feeling of claustrophobia I can understand, but hopefully that will lessen over time and they'll spend more time on planets. Some of the characters are annoying (especially LDP), but to me that only adds realism. I do think the communication stones are a cheap plot device and are overused, but still the show has more pros than cons for me.

Well, it looks like Rush is being put into position as a series 'villain' in the days ahead.

Prediction: He will get into the stranded ship, get it working, and will pursue the Destiny.

Well, it looks like Rush is being put into position as a series 'villain' in the days ahead.

Prediction: He will get into the stranded ship, get it working, and will pursue the Destiny.

My guess is it'll be a bit more roundabout than that. He'll trip an emergency beacon, or otherwise get the attention of some aliens (either the ones who lost the ship or others), and they'll rescue or capture him, and later they'll encounter the Destiny, and we'll have our happy (for Rush) and uncomfortable (for Young) reunion.

But yeah.... same basic effect. Rush will return.

I had to deal with my kids and missed what happened there! I went from them seeing the video footage to Rush on the planet marooned! I think I need to watch the last 10mins again or something.

I had to deal with my kids and missed what happened there! I went from them seeing the video footage to Rush on the planet marooned! I think I need to watch the last 10mins again or something.
You'll need to watch the whole episode to get the full reasoning behind what takes place on the planet between Young & Rush.

Cliff Notes: Young is not quite the man on the pedestal that some of his junior officers are making him out to be and Rush has some serious issues. The two characters are destined to clash again & again.

Hi all, new to the forum, would just like to say that for me SG-U has been a disappointment. I agree with the poster who said it is similar to the new battlestar galactica which i also did not like. the characters are really unlikeable for a start, so far not much emphasis on plot, more than anything, its boring!

Guess I'm in the detractor camp as well.

I hold out hope, but at the moment, it seems to lack any cohesion - unless you want to consider "everyone's so flawed that, if Destiny plunged into a sun during refueling, the only characters I'd feel sorry for are Eli and Chloe".

Hi all.

I am pretty disappointed with Stargate Universe. In fact, I can not watch it.
I really think it is that bad.
Way, Way too touchy, feely.
Way too much moody music.
And why are all the people operating the cameras drunk? My vision does not shake if I stand and talk to someone. My vision does not shake when I walk.
The only interesting character is the mad scientist, played by Robert Carlye. I hope the rest get stranded somewhere and are never heard or seen again. What a waste of the Stargate name!!!!!!!!

Well, it has aired its 11th episode now so that question has been answered and we'll leave off for now till everyone has watched it :smiley:

Back