Sci-Fi Stargate vs Star Trek

Hhhhmm..... usually it is the 'Star Trek' versus 'Star Wars' debate. :P

While the various incarnations of Stargate have been good, and provided a lot of sci-fi action, I'd have to go with the Star Trek incarnations having the edge when it comes to story telling.

(y)

Petition to Save Stargate Universe ( SGU )

We have signatures from the USA, Canada, Australia , United Kingdom , Russia , The Czech Republic , Singapore , Germany , Brazil , Ireland , Will you sign and help save Stargate Universe (SGU) ? Help Us To Bring Back A Great Show. Pass Along The Info About The Petition. We are making History and We Will Make This Happen.
Sign the Petition

There is considerable evidence that SGU's audience is large, enthusiastic, and still clamoring for the
show's return:
• When Syfy announced SGU's cancellation, the resulting social media firestorm prompted an article by
Forbes,[1] and an unprecedented "open letter" from Syfy to fans.[2]
• The "Save Stargate Universe" Facebook page dwarfs all other "save a series" pages, with over 79,000
followers,[3] and has inspired two more Forbes articles.[4][5]
• On July 6, 2012, SGU won five out of the six Constellation Awards that a TV series can possibly win,
even defeating the hugely successful Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead in the "Best Series"
category by more than five to one. The voting public decides the Constellation Awards.[6]
• According to Alexa statistics, the Stargate franchise, led by SGU, brings more search traffic to
mgm.com than all of MGM's other movies and shows combined.[7]
• Smart-DVR manufacturer TiVo published an article about the extraordinary popularity of SGU re-runs
among its tech-savvy customers.[8]
• Over 11 million Netflix customer reviews rate the Stargate franchise an average of 4 stars out of 5; over
a million of these reviews are for SGU, and rank it the best part of the entire franchise.[9] As you know,
each Netflix customer may enter only one rating per series or movie.
• The fan fiction work "Stargate Universe: The Virtual Third Season" has surpassed 250,000 downloads.
[10]

I much prefer Stargate to Star Trek.

For some reason, I can ignore the shoddy acting in Stargate where I can't in Star Trek.
While I like the high concept of Star Trek, I find it's execution lacking. That said, the special effects are pretty great.

I also find Star Trek boring.

Star Trek all the way! only as long as its the original series, all the other series were pretty lame. I was never a fan of stargate though

I was never a fan of stargate though
None of them? :eek: I was not the biggest fan of SG: Atlantis and hardly a fan of SG: Universe but I loved the original series and the movie. The movie is one that I'll watch whenever it is on.

I'm equal on these. They each have their good and bad points. The first few series of Stargate were outstanding, but it tended to get a bit lame towards the end. The Atlantis spin-off was entertaining but it was too-often same old same old. Universe I just found bizarre. The set up was great, but the story arc took on too much of the great American TV series disease: namely that of a bunch of characters struggling against a hidden and never satisfactorily revealed problem (eg: Lost, Jericho yada yada yada ....)

Star Trek was great. I guess I would name TNG as my personal favourite because it seemed the most "grounded" in terms of nailing down the elements of its setting. I hated DS9. Voyager was a bit of fun though. Bacula's Enterprise was just embarrassing ... the characters appeared to have been lifted from the excellent comedy: Galaxy Quest. (n)

For me its a 50/50 split depending on the show, I think both had elements that were worth watching, but by the same token there were episodes of both that sometimes left a little to be desired, either way It was a bad day for sci-fi when they finished.
If I had to rate them though, in order of favourites it would look like this:

Atlantis
DS9
SG1
TNG
Voyager
TOS

I think they are different types of programmes. As Star Trek is galaxy wide like star wars, including planets etc. While Star gate is alot 'smaller'. I prefer galaxy wide stories as there is alot to get your teeth into.

I much prefer SG-1 although I'll happily watch any of the episodes from either franchise. I much prefer the inter-personal relationships between the characters, the lines are blurred between rank whereas Start Trek can be a bit formal.

None of them? :eek: I was not the biggest fan of SG: Atlantis and hardly a fan of SG: Universe but I loved the original series and the movie. The movie is one that I'll watch whenever it is on.
I finally signed back in just to tell you that you are crazy. SG:A was fantastic. I liked the premis of it. SG1 is still one of the best shows, but towards the end it was lacking. SG:U, eh.

I finally signed back in just to tell you that you are crazy. SG:A was fantastic. I liked the premis of it. SG1 is still one of the best shows, but towards the end it was lacking. SG:U, eh.

Come on, flying cities through space? At the moment I am not able to accurately articulate what it is I didn't like about the show but compared to SG1, which mixed humor with the action, SGA by comparison seemed more 'campy' in its presentation.

{Kevin is waiting for somebody to mention Dark City. :cautious:}

Never said the acting was good! lol. But I really liked the premise of SGA (flying city was eh, annoyingly iffy). Even the on world episodes were interesting.

Star Trek for me but only because I haven't gotten around to watch Stargate yet... I know know but so much tv and so little time!!

Other Tv can wait. Seriously SG1 is the best.

I'm almost done watching Doctor Who up until the end of season 6 so maybe I can get my tv partner to watch Stargate. He is picky when it comes to sci fi. He doesn't really like Star Trek either. Come to think of it... why the heck is he my BFF? :ROFLMAO:

Haha
I'm almost done watching Doctor Who up until the end of season 6 so maybe I can get my tv partner to watch Stargate. He is picky when it comes to sci fi. He doesn't really like Star Trek either. Come to think of it... why the heck is he my BFF? :ROFLMAO:

Lol. Good Luck.

Back