Feedback Startup Vista Problem

Tom

An Old Friend
Any ideas?

My wife took our laptop to work last night and now windows won't start

Start up repair doesn't work and I can't find the system recovery drive

I get an error that there is a corrupt file but I can't find anything about it.

I have no recovery disk and Vista was loaded when I bought it 2 years ago.

1245202 corrupt file

3221225624 corrupt file

os version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.2561

Startup repair v2
autofailover

problem signature02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386

problem signature03: 6
PS04: 1245202
PS05: corruptfile
PS06: corruptfile
PS07: 3221225624
PS08: 3
PS09: wrpRepair
PS10: 10

Locale ID: 1033

I can't even boot in safe mode

It is now one very expensive paperweight!

... any chance the hard drive has a hidden partition with the recovery software (a trick some vendors use)?

no flash drive was or is in use

as soon as it powers up it goes to startup repair. no log in screen

it says there is no recovery (drive D) zero bytes
It says there is no system restore yet during windows update it created a restore point

Yes it was working after the windows update

I was able to get to the prompt for safe mode but safe mode doesn't start either
Last known configuration doesn't work either
windows normal doesn't
debug doesn't

I downloaded a vista boot image but I have to figure out how to get it on a cd in a readable file. I will read up on that tonite after work.

PC doctor wont run either

I went to dos prompt and it shows my d: drive but it shows that at zero bytes used. I know the oem recovery files were on that drive

try booting up and hitting the function keys, F8-F11 and see which one activates the recovery. Recovery will fully format your master drive though, so you'll lose the last pics/docs you didn't backup in your normal regime.

"No valid backup locations can be found"
On diagnostics screen from the failed startup recovery I chose DOS and it reads

X:\windows\system32>

c: gives me C:\>

C:\>windows
gives me "unrecognised command"
C:\>dir
says drive c has no label
gives serial #
Then gives c content
content = 5.102 bytes
34,026,049,536 bytes free

I have the recovery image converted and burned to disk - still not working

I found this:

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues

Going to try these - Tried reinstalling and it says it cant

INTRODUCTION

You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the following items in Windows Vista:•A master boot record (MBR)•A boot sector•A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) storeNote When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool.uparrow.gifBack to the top

MORE INFORMATION

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:1.Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.2.Press a key when you are prompted.3.Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.4.Click Repair your computer.5.Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.6.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.7.Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.uparrow.gifBack to the top
Bootrec.exe options

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:•bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup•c:•cd boot•attrib bcd -s -h -r•ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old•bootrec /RebuildBcd/FixMbr

The /FixMbr option writes a Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR./FixBoot

The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:•The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector.•The boot sector is damaged.•An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe)./ScanOs

The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list./RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Maskwirl says she was watching a flash video and it just shut off - when she tried to start it up it went to startup repair and would not start.

I'm wondering if a video driver could cause startup issues?

er, was it a flash video or did she click a link to a so called video site that asked to install codecs to view the video? These sites install viruses. Although you should still be able to boot from a downloaded image and install vista normally with your serial off the sticker attached to computer

I'm running a comprehensive diag self test from CMOS
I already reset to defaults

The recovery disk finds my drives but I have an X: drive now that I did not have before.
Its trying to boot from the x:drive

It won't let me change it to boot from c:drive

While looking for drivers from the repair menu I found the driver repository but there are hundreds of drivers and I don't know which to choose.

I may be getting my electric shut off today.
so this is low on the problems totem pole.
If I can somehow convince the elect co to keep me on till my next paycheck I will let y'all know how this went.

er, was it a flash video or did she click a link to a so called video site that asked to install codecs to view the video? These sites install viruses. Although you should still be able to boot from a downloaded image and install vista normally with your serial off the sticker attached to computer

No she wasn't online - It was a video I downloaded and already watched...twice.

I have been using the laptop at work every day for the last 2 wks watching videos and listening to music.

The last download I did was windows update , restarted and moved the video to her desktop so she could find it. I played the video before she left for work so I knew it would play. I shut down the laptop and the rest you know.

I gotta head out for work, I'm taking the laptop with me and will dick with it at work if I can. If I get it I will use the wi-fi to let y'all know what I did.

hopefully I will still have electricity when I come home.

Hmm, electric still on...
Its only lunch time tho

The drive letter X: is what it is trying to boot from.
I never had a X: drive

I wonder if that is an indication of a virus?

Strange how it didn't happen the two times I watched the video?

I gotta figure out how to get it to boot from C: drive somehow

Microsoft is sending me a cd to fix the problem but they closed my case. Pretty sure of themselves...They must be aware there is a problem with the update. I wonder how many other people are pulling their hair out over this?

Dear Skwirli,

Thank you for your response. From your last mail, We have to repair system files with Windows Vista DVD.

I have ordered a new Service Park 1 DVD for you free of charge. This order is confirmed and the reference number is #########. You should expect to receive the DVD within 7 to 15 business days.

If you don't receive the DVD by then, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will look into it for you.

Thank you for using online support options. I believe that Service Park 1 can be installed in Windows Vista after receiving the DVD. Therefore, I will close this issue as resolved.
I say...OK but where is the cd again?

My goal is that you feel 100% satisfied with my overall service. If you have any suggestions or comments on the service provided, feel free to contact us. We always strive to keep improving our service level from capturing customers' feedback.

Again, thank you for using Microsoft Online Support Service. It was my pleasure to work with you on this issue.

Best Regards,
I did fill out the survey, best score was a 4.

Well, I had to reinstall windows with a new security code and everything. My files were saved to windows.old and I have transfered them all to my active desktop. It seems to be working right now.
I pity the people that don't have the cd fix. It was a bear.

My first reaction is :eek: at having to start from scratch... but then I thought about the fact that I end up wiping my boxes, for one reason or another, at least once a year to install fresh copies of XP.

From all of this... did you end up changing any of your habits (eg: keeping backups on a different drive or removable media)?

Yes, I also deleted all the old program installs of the programs I use and update regularly.

I have drive enclosures for about 500gb of storage and I just bought a 100 case of memorex dvd-r disks. I zip my files with 7-zip and burn them to dvd.

I didn't really lose anything - It was mostly a PITA.

Back