Stepping Stones

YA he was glad to see her!!!!!!! :woot:
-HA I'm glad that Lauren was shocked when she found out they knew each other!!! :lol:
Great update!! Can't wait for more!! Thanks for the pm!!

ok, this was just adorable. thanks for the PM. i love how she reverted back to her 6 year old speak at the end. and i like how vaughn automatically called her his best friend. hope things keep going this well.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REUNITED!!! :woot:

PM ME! :D I would have commented earlier, but I was out of town... still am... Now I'm going to party in little Italy!!!!!!!!

~Anja

Aww.. This story is just so cute!!

Ha ha ha... Take THAT Lauren!! I can just Imagine Vaughn standing in the doorway with his jaw on the floor!

Can I get a PM when you update? I would love it ever so much!!

Update again soon, I can't wait to read more!

Great update! I loved how Sydney referred to herself in the third person again, just like when they were kids. Thanks for the PM!

A/N: Next chapter! Enjoy! :woot: :D ;)

Chapter 4-

Lauren Reed watched from this distance as she watched her man act intimately with some loser new kid. It drove her crazy that what she had tried to accomplish in four years, grab Vaughn’s attention, seemed to be acquired in four seconds by this nobody.

“Who is that girl!?” she snapped.

“She said her name was Sydney Bristow,” Lauren’s friend, Mel, replied.

“Well, I want to know everything about her! All of her classes, where she lives, her favorite food, everything!” Lauren said, before heading in the opposite direction.

Vaughn and Sydney walked side-by-side, down the hall and out the door, into the courtyard. Never in a million years did they expect to see each other again, especially under these circumstances. It all seemed like a pleasant dream.

“So, you had a run in with Lauren already?” Vaughn asked.

“Yeah…,” Sydney replied, the thought of Lauren crossing her mind.

“Don’t let her get to you. She gets intimidate by pretty girls very easily.”

“Oh? So you think I’m pretty?” Sydney asked.

“W-Well… you know… you’re not ugly,” Vaughn said, blushing.

Sydney laughed, remembering back to their childhood days. He was still the exact same. She couldn’t believe how big he’d gotten. She knew he’d look different, ten years would do that to you. It was a familiar different, though.

“So, why did you move here, and come to this school, of all schools?” he asked, taking a seat on a bench.

Sydney sat down next to him, and began to explain, “My father’s work. You know how taxing it is. We moved away from home last year, to Washington. It was horrible… but luckily, half way through the year, we moved again, this time, to Miami. It wasn’t much better. Then, he said we were moving to LA. To be honest, it didn’t even register to me that you lived in LA.”

Vaughn understood. His father, before he died in the accident, worked very closely with Sydney’s. That’s how they were such good friends. His dad was always away on business, along with Sydney’s dad. Luckily for him, he never had to move. It was his mother’s choice to move to LA, and get away from the old, familiar things. Vaughn always like the familiar things, though; Those were the most important, and what counted the most.

“Yeah. Who would have thought that ten years later, we’d meet again?” Vaughn said.

“Fate’s funny that way,” Sydney replied.

There was an awkward silence between the two, for a moment. Neither of them liked it. It was never awkward between them. However, they both knew what made things awkward was the one thing that both were avoiding.

“Well… I have to go talk to the hockey coach,” Vaughn said, scratching his head.

“You still play hockey?” Sydney asked.

Of course he did. Why did she even ask that? He always played, and always had a passion for the sport. It was the one thing left of his father that he had, and Sydney could totally relate. It was the same way with her mother’s books…

“Yeah,” Vaughn replied.

“Well, that’s okay. I promised I’d meet Francie, anyway. I’ll talk to you later?” she asked, standing up.

“Yeah, sure. Uh, just… meet me back here, after school. We can catch up some more,” he said.

“Sure. I’d like that,” Sydney replied.

“Okay then. See you,” he said, waving, as he jogged away.

She smiled, and waved back. It all seemed so surreal, and she felt that any moment now, someone would pinch her, and she’d be back in Miami, or Washington. However, instead of a pinch, she felt a slap in the face when she spotted Lauren walking over towards her, waving, like they were best friends.

“Hey, Sydney!” she said, running up to her.

“Uh, hi,” Sydney replied.

“Man, you’re just like Vaughn! Those are the only two words I can get out of him,” she giggled, locking her arms through Sydney’s.

“Uh… what are you doing?” Sydney asked, utterly confused.

“Lets take a walk, shall we?”

It wasn’t like Sydney had much of a say in the matter, because Lauren was basically dragging her across campus.

“So, how do you know Vaughn again?” she asked.

“We’re… we’re best friends, since we were really little, and then he moved away,” Sydney replied, still confused as hell at Lauren’s kindness.

“Aww… that’s so cute! I can just imagine a little you and a little Vaughn!” she said, again, with her annoying giggle.

Sydney didn’t know what to think of the situation. She knew Lauren was bad news, but it wasn’t like she could say or do anything, because Lauren wasn’t harming her.

“I bet you’re happy to see him again. Now you two can continue where you left off,” she said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sydney asked.

“Well, he is your boyfriend, isn’t he?” Lauren asked.

“Uh, not exactly. I haven’t seen him in ten years,” Sydney replied.

“Yeah, those long distance relationships never work. Trust me,” Lauren said, rambling off topic.

“Oh, I trust you,” Sydney mumbled.

“What was that?” Lauren asked.

“Nothing,” Sydney quickly said.

“Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to come to a party Friday night. Its just a little get together, with a few boys. Its going to be at Mel’s house. How about it?” she asked.

“I don’t know…”

“Oh, it’ll be fine! Its just a normal house party, with cake and punch! Plus, Vaughn’s coming,” she said.

“Is he?” Sydney asked.

“Oh, sure! I was just talking to him! He says he’d love to get to know you a little better, catch up, and see the real you!” Lauren explained.

“Really?”

“Yeah! Friday night, nine o’clock, 1144 Riverside Drive. Don’t let me down!” Lauren said, walking away.

Sydney stood there, a look of shock and confusion across her face. She didn’t know what just happened. Checking her watch, she realized that she had to start heading back to class. She learned from their talk that she shared the same class with Vaughn, once again; Calculus, with Mr. Hale.

“Hey, lady! Where are you going?” a friendly voice said.

Francie ran and jumped onto Sydney’s back, making her laugh, “I have to head up to class.”

“You have some time!” Francie protested.

“But I don’t know my way around, and I don’t want to be late,” Sydney explained.

“Oh yeah, I forgot you were new. Well, we‘ll talk later?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’ll talk to you soon.”

She was kind of upset that she didn’t have Francie in anymore of her classes. However, that meant she had more classes with Michael, which was just fine by her.

----------

“Well, how did it go?” Weiss asked, running up to Vaughn.

“How did what go?” Vaughn replied.

“Don’t play the idiot, that’s my job,” Weiss said.

“We talked a little, that’s it. Weiss, she’s just a friend.”

“Uh-huh. Sure. Even I’m not that stupid. Everyone can tell there is something going on between Michael Vaughn, the most popular guy in school, and the new girl,” Weiss replied.

“Her name is Sydney,” Vaughn said.

“See! Why don’t you just ask her out, and get it out of the way?” Weiss asked.

“Because she’s my friend! You can’t date your friend! That would be too weird!”

“Come on, Vaughn! You’re practically married to the girl!”

“What’s that supposed to mean!?”

“I’ve never seen you look at another girl that way before, or act that way around another girl before. You’ve obviously been waiting for her, so ask her out!”

Maybe Weiss was right; he had never felt feelings towards a girl, except for Sydney. He just assumed it was because they were such good friends. Could it be something more?

“She’s too young,” Vaughn said.

“Stop coming up with excuses! Nobody cares about age in this school! Lauren dated like, twenty guys in their senior year when she was in the ninth grade! It’s a thing in the past!”

Vaughn, tired and annoyed with all the arguing, gave in, “Alright… I’ll think about it.”

“That’s what I’m talking about!” Weiss said, doing his little victory dance.

Vaughn swatted him in the shoulder, and laughed, “I said I‘d think about it.”

They had been waiting for the coach, who said he would be there, but was nowhere to be found. That’s when he finally decided to show up.

“Alright, boys! Good to see you all here this year! I just wanted to let you know that we have an exhibition game next Wednesday against the St. Cecil Steel! And, there’s a practice this Saturday at 6:00am sharp!”

The boys groaned, but they knew that wouldn’t change anything. They all hated the early morning practices, except for Vaughn. That meant he had all day to do whatever he wanted.

“Now get to class!” the coach shouted, dismissing them.

All the boys broke off, and headed in different directions. Vaughn and Weiss headed for their lockers. When they finally got there, Lauren was already waiting. Vaughn rolled his eyes, wondering what she wanted this time.

“Hi, Vaughnikins!” she said.

“Don’t call me that,” he said, sternly walking around her to get to his locker.

“Guess who’s going to be at Mel’s party Friday night?” she asked.

“Who?” Vaughn replied, not really concerned. He just wanted her to shut up and get out of the way.

“Sydney. She was hoping you’d come, too.”

“You spoke with Sydney!?” Vaughn said, not believing a word of it.

“Sure! We might have started off on the wrong foot, but she’s pretty cool, for a junior. She was really looking forward to seeing you there. Too bad you said you weren’t coming…,” Lauren explained.

“Why would Sydney want to go to one of “their” parties? Is she completely oblivious?” Vaughn thought.

He didn’t trust Lauren at all. Sydney obviously didn’t know what she was getting into, so he decided he’d tag along, just to make sure she was alright.

“I’ll be there,” he said, walking away.

As he turned his back, Lauren smiled wickedly, “Plan A is underway.”

hehe cool, Syd and Vaughn are cute :love:

what is Lauren planning, shes getting me all excited, wanting to know whats going to happen next

update really really soon :D :D

-luv Em 💘

Back