Stepping Stones

I'm glad they decided to skip out on the party!!!!
-Now what does he want to ask her!!! See now I hope he's going to ask her out!!!! :angelic:
Can't wait to find out!! Thanks for the pm!!

jacks being protective
and i am glad syd n vaughn aren't going to the party
thanks for the chapter and pm
i can't wait doe more

luv Chicketepee :seehearspeak:

A/N: Update! Yay! Enjoy! :woot: :D ;)

Chapter 7-

Sydney spent the entire first period trying to figure out what Vaughn was going to ask her. Staring off into space, wondering, probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do during a game of baseball, either.

“Sydney, look out!” Francie shouted.

Sydney turned just in time for the ball to hit her right in the head, and she immediately fell over, dazed. Miss Bakes blew her whistle, and ran over, as did Francie and a few other girls.

“Sydney! Sydney, are you alright!?” Miss Bakes asked, kneeling next to her.

Sydney groaned, and rolled over onto her side. Through the crowd, she could see Lauren and her friends, standing in the parking lot, laughing at her.

“Nice catch, Sydney!” Lauren shouted.

Sydney was too confused to shout out a witty comeback, but that didn’t stop Miss Bakes, “Shouldn’t you girls be in class, or were you finding it a tad too difficult for you?”

Lauren shot Miss Bakes a dirty look, then headed back into the school with her friends. Miss Bakes smiled down at Sydney, and Sydney half smiled, still dazed and confused.

“Francie, take Sydney into my office. There’s a cooler in the corner; grab her some ice,” Miss Bakes said, helping Sydney up.

Sydney wrapped her arm around Francie, who half carried, half walked her to Miss Bakes’ office. Francie found the ice, crushed it up, and put it in a bag. She handed it to Sydney, who thanked her, and put it up against her head. She was going to have a big bump.

“Where were you?” Francie asked, sitting down next to her.

Sydney, who was able to finally make sense of the situation, replied, “Oh, nowhere. I was just thinking about someone.”

Francie smiled, and scooted closer, “Do I know this “someone?”” she asked.

“I don’t know, you might,” Sydney answered.

“What’s his name?”

“Michael. Michael Vaughn,” Sydney replied.

“What!? You know Michael Vaughn!?” Francie asked, jumping up in surprise.

“Yeah, he’s an old friend,” she replied, truthfully, “Do you know him?”

“I wish! He’s only the most popular guy in school! He’d never even look in my direction…”

“That’s not true! I know Michael! He’s a really sweet guy!” Sydney exclaimed.

“So, are you two an item, or something?” Francie asked.

“Huh?”

“Are you two dating!?” Francie shouted, plain and simple.

“Uh… well… no… but yes… but… not really… kind of,” Sydney replied.

“Uh-huh. Care to elaborate in English?” Francie asked.

“Well, he asked me out to a party, but we’re not going, so that’s kind of off, but we’re going somewhere else, so its kind of on, but we’re not officially dating. We’re just hanging out, getting reacquainted,” Sydney explained.

“Even still, you know Michael Vaughn! Why didn’t you tell me sooner!?”

“Francie, I’ve only known you for a day,” Sydney replied.

“Oh yeah. It feels like much longer, doesn’t it?”

Sydney and Francie spent the rest of the period talking about boys, crushes, and other girl things.

“Well, there’s this one cute guy I’ve had my eye on. His name’s Will Tippin. I should introduce you guys. You’d like him,” Francie explained.

“How long have you known him?” Sydney asked.

“Since last year. I don’t know if he feels the same way, though,” Francie said.

“Well, you’re never going to know if you just stand there. Why don’t you ask him?” Sydney asked.

“Oh, yes, this coming from the girl who’s too shy to admit that she’s totally crushing on her childhood sweetheart,” Francie replied.

“That’s not true!”

“See! I told you! Too shy!”

Their conversation was cut short by the ringing bell. Sydney gathered her things, and exited Miss Bakes’ office with Francie.

“Tell me how it goes!” Francie said, wandering off in her own direction.

----------

Vaughn closed his lock, and leaned against it. He was waiting for Sydney to come, but instead, he got Lauren.

“Guess who got nailed in the face with a baseball today?” Lauren asked, pushing past him.

“What!? Is she okay!?” Vaughn asked.

“I don’t know. See for yourself.”

Sydney came walking towards Vaughn, unable to walk in a straight line. All of the girls were laughing at her, but when they saw her approach Vaughn, they immediately shut up.

“Lauren told me what happened! Are you okay!?” a concerned Vaughn asked.

“Yeah, no thanks to her. I’m just a little dazed, that’s all,” she replied.

“Well, I’m glad you’re okay. There’s something I wanted to ask you,” he said.

“Yes? What is it?”

“I told my mom all about our unlikely meeting. She couldn’t believe that you were really here in LA, and insisted she meet you. So, this Friday, I have to go to some stupid charity formal that she helped organized, and she said I should invite you. Do you want to go?” he asked.

Sydney had never been to a formal before. She could have gone to her school’s formal last year, but refused to be within one hundred feet of the school after school hours, so it wasn’t an option.

“Sure. I’d love to,” she replied.

“Great. We have to be there by seven to make sure everything’s in order, so I’ll pick you up at six?” he asked.

“Great.”

Sydney and Vaughn headed to their English class together.

----------

Lauren, who was eavesdropping from around the corner, was furious; not only was this new girl impeding on her relationship with Vaughn, but now, she was taking her place at Vaughn’s side.

“I should be the one going to that formal, not her!” Lauren said, through gritted teeth.

A couple of boys her were walking down the hall saw her, and immediately stepped out of her way.

“There’s got to be some other way I can ruin her! But how!? It’d have to be public, where everyone, especially Vaughn, could see. But where am I going to…”

She smiled that same, evil smile she always had when it came to dealing with her enemies, “I’ve got it. I’ll just bide my time for now. Soon enough, though, I’ll humiliate that little bitch.”

----------

Sydney took her seat at the front of the class, with Lauren behind her, and Vaughn a few rows behind and away.

“Alright, class. Starting today, I want you working on your group projects in class. They’re due at the end of the month,” Mr. McMullen said.

“What group project?” Sydney asked, looking the teacher in the eye.

“Your group can explain it to you. Now, I’ve already assigned groups. You will be working with these people during class time, and during your own time, for the next month. There will be no complaints, because I’m not changing them. The first group is Eric, Luke, and Aaron,” Mr. McMullen said, looking at the boys who were surrounding Vaughn, “The second group is Alex, Maureen, and Beth.”

Sydney looked too see the three girls squeal in delight. She hoped Mr. McMullen put her in a group with Vaughn.

“Group three will be Sydney, Michael,” he said, looking at the two best friends smile at each other, “And Lauren.”

"What!?" Sydney and Vaughn said, simultaneosly.

Lauren took the desk next to Sydney, and wrapped her arm around her, "Howdy, partner."

Back