Movies Stir of Echoes vs.The Sixth Sense

Which do you believe to be the better movie?

• Stir of Echoes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • The Sixth Sense

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Cannot decide!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Stir of Echoes
stir_of_echoes.jpg

After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around him.

The Sixth Sense
images

A boy who communicates with spirits that don't know they're dead seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist.

These movies were released a month apart and Stir of Echoes suffered greatly, being the later release.
Director/writer David Koepp-
"It completely screwed us… we finished shooting [and] we got ahold of [The Sixth Sense] script. We went to the studio and said, ‘Hey, there’s this movie that’s similar to ours with a psychic kid, we should probably get out ahead of that. We could come out in April,’ because The Sixth Sense was due to come out in August and we were set for September. [The studio] said, ‘No, we read that. It’s soft, and no one’s going to go to that.” Well, don’t you want to be the first psychic movie rather than the second? They said no, and then [The Sixth Sense] became The Sixth Sense [laughs]."
Kevin Bacon: 'The Sixth Sense' 'completely f----d' 'Stir of Echoes' release
*in article, Koepp also acknowledges the poor name, he wanted it to be named "Dig!"
There's more in Stir. More scares, more creative, more clever. Bravo to the scene with Tom Witzky dreaming the reality that's about to happen when he wakes. Bravo to the buzzing red lights leading Tom to his abducted son. Each time he's hypnotized and "in a dark theater", I get goosebumps. And applause for Kevin Bacon's intensity. He gave the role all he had. I believed the love between this blue-collar family. The death of this young girl/ghost was shown through her eyes. More applause, I was so angry! Lol.

The Sixth Sense is brilliant, of course. I'd say there's a greater sadness to it also. The twist at the end was a shocker for me, I was the rare unspoiled viewer. Toni Collette' performance brightened the gloomy settings. (She's a fave of mine though, biased)
Yet Stir of Echoes wins my vote, I simply feel more watching it.

Both are decent films but I went Stir over Sense.
I like Bruce Willis because he gets beat up in his movies, 6th Sense was a let down in that dept.
I kept waiting, anticipating him getting beat up.

While I agree with @sci-fi-dude that both are great movies I went with Sixth Sense. If you were able to avoid the spoilers ahead of time with Sense I think the Shyamalan twist and the end gives it just a bit of extra edge over Stir.

Kevin Bacon, as @Icky, mentions, gave a great performance but Bruce Willis also gave a great performance and it is hard not to have sympathy for his character.

Back