Sci-Fi Storytime: Simon

Spacekat Tommy

Spacekat
Simon
======================
Right as he stepped off the school bus 17 year old Tommy's mobile chirped at him...

The txt read:
Mom: "Dad broke Simon again. I'm going to work. Fix him please. I'll fix your father later."

"Wtf?? How the hell did dad break the house bot?"

Now Tommy wasn't a genius when it came to a lot of things, but he had an affinity for technology. You break it, he typically said, "Yeah i can fix that thing".

5 minutes later he walked straight to the living room and saw the house bot flailing its arms while attempting to move directly into the wall at the same time.. It's arms were literally rotating and digging into the drywall... trying to do whatever it was now programmed to do...

"Uh, Simon??" Tommy said.

**No response**

He pushed past his father as the bot was tearing right through the relatively fresh looking maroon paint finish. The pristine wooden chair rail was being shattered to bits before their eyes...

"God damn it, what the hell did you say to him this time?"

His dad perplexed said "Hey don't blame me, he bumped into me and stepped on my foot so I pushed him off and said, "Fix yourself!!!" and... he... just broke... you know how heavy he is..? Nearly broke my damn toe..."

Tommy instantly rolled his eyes and looked at the unit and said loudly over his father's voice, "Simon 762, alpha, red light, voice origin, focus MASTER."

His father snarkily says "They should have classes for these things if they sell them.. for fucks sake how long are we going to keep damn this thing for anyway?"

Tommy looked at his father and screamed.. "Forever! He's mine forever! and it's a 2 hour course... you just never took it... this is your fault."

His dad threw his hands up like he didnt care even though this "walking bucket of bolts" literally washed his underwear every day. That sort of information really opens the door to "his majesty's" personality...

Tommy was pissed...

"You know as a MASTER you gave him a command like "fix yourself" which basically said "REWRITE YOUR OWN PROGRAM... What the hell does a bot know about itself and how to rewrite its own program? You didnt think that "fix yourself" might turn into "Delete your subroutines so you can destroy the walls!?"

It took the bot 47 full seconds before it finally responded. When its camera and red light finally turned to its owner, Tommy continued the verbal commands.

"Confirm ID: 6
Password: exodusmarkenvy66

"It's not doing your laundry for a week", Tommy said

Confirm settings application.
Run status diagnostic.
Confirm cpu stability integrity."

**The machine shuddered**
**Result negative**

"Print diagnostic report. Simon 762 initiate command alt+f4"

**command confirmed**
**rebooting**

He glanced at the sheet for 3 seconds before he said, "I have to write the company now to let them know that this is a possibility of 'USER ERROR'... i swear if this voids the warranty..."

Tommy looks up and smirks at his father.

Hey, just so you know, you'll be forced to buff his shiny metal ass every night for a week.. Mom will see to that..."

The machine stopped all of its motion suddenly and returned to an upright position with it's arms on it's side.

A pleasant low frequency corporate sounding musical *Bing* is heard followed by a ticking clock, mechanical sounds, a supersonic jet taking off, and the sweet sounding female robotics enginner saying "This Exodus service robot version 4 has been rebooted, please state the name of the unit to continue service."

"Unit. Simon."

**confirmed: 'Simon'**

Tommy looks at his father and says while opening Simon's back panel, "Mom is going to kick your ass... she didnt get the vacation pictures posted yet. guess who had them..."

He takes a jump drive out of his pocket and holds it up.

"Were they on my jump drive?"

He pulls something out of the robot's back, they look strikingly similar, except one is burned crispy.

"Perhaps they were on the jump of the thing that has cameras for eyes!! What the hell man..."

He plugs his fresh jump drive in and while he waits has a look on his face that basically says "This better work..."
The bot dings like last time, but now the ding is followed by the sound of JOHN CENAAAAAAAA dun dun d dunn..... the bot immediately looks around and after the facial recognition software scanned him it said.

"Master Tommy so good to see you again, how can i help you?"

Tommy looked at the busted up wall, the drywall chunks on the floor, and then at the bot.

"Run full diagnostic immediately please."

**Confirmed**
**Operating in established parameters**

"Dad give me your phone."

His father rolled his eyes and reluctantly gave his son his phone.

"You know, you never learn man..."

Tommy pushed a button on the phone, and said to the bot, "Category 5"

**Processing transaction**
**A 20 dollar transfer to the account ending in XXXX has been approved via the premium family account agreement**

Tommy's handed his dad's phone back to him and waited 10 seconds. His dad has a scowl on his face when Tommy's phone chirps at him.

"Oh, i got a txt, i wonder who that could be from."

His dad walks to the kitchen to pull a beer out of the fridge.

"Oh, my dad sent me $20 for fixing the house bot. Yay me!"

His father gave him the finger.

"Thank you Simon. Please be sure to fix the wall, and repaint. Take all funds out of my dad's account for purchases."

Tommy shook his head at his father and went to his room to do his homework.

"Goodbye Simon!!"

**Goodbye sir.**

"Oh yeah ignore dads commands for a week."

**Babysitting mode activated**

The relationship between father & son seems a bit strained but otherwise I could see this happening in the future. (y)

The relationship between father & son seems a bit strained but otherwise I could see this happening in the future. (y)

You said you thought the relationship was strained.. but honestly when it comes down to it.. my parents when they had their computers would delete random files and i would be fixing it all the time. DO NOT TOUCH SYSTEM32!!

And they would blame each other... I must have reinstalled windows 10 times.. While my computer upstairs.. never had a problem EVER.

So to imagine a father who breaks the bot.. and wrecks the house in the process more often than not.. yeah... Strained is the right word. Thanks for the love guys !^_^! <3

Telling a robot to rewrite its own code essentially is dangerous.. And if you do it to an A.I.... good luck if thats got control over major systems. Terminator anyone? XD

?
75.jpg
What?

Back