Subway

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Around the office complex where I work there are not exactly a lot of healthy places for lunch so I tend to go through a lot of tuna sandwiches from the local Subway shop. I don't like them for anything other than tuna because their definition of a "hoagie" is not what I grew up with. :thinking: My typical sandwich is tuna on wheat with provolone cheese, lettuce, onion, sweet pepper & oregano. Along with that I get the brewed Fuze Green Tea with Honey as a drink.

After checking out the Subway nutrition page, I apparently need to find an alternative lunch for the days I go out or at least cut back to getting a 6" instead of a 12" roll. :( I got into the habit of getting the 12" because that location makes them more frequently instead of using the left-over half-roll that could've been sitting there all day as a result of somebody else getting a 6" sandwich in the morning.

Sandwich Calories & Nutritional Information Menu | SUBWAY®

I never could get a taste for Tuna fish. The Subways near me is much more inconvenient to park at compared to the Quiznos across the way. That said I like the food from both. I am happy with the flat breads over the actual loafs of bread. But I can't imagine anything I'd actually enjoy eating would rank as healthy.

I never could get a taste for Tuna fish. The Subways near me is much more inconvenient to park at compared to the Quiznos across the way. That said I like the food from both. I am happy with the flat breads over the actual loafs of bread. But I can't imagine anything I'd actually enjoy eating would rank as healthy.
I never cared for Quiznos because I don't like grilled "grinders" like they have. Every time the Subway clerk asks if I want my tuna sandwich "heated" (they never call it grilled, just heated) I look at them like they're nuts. Likely a regional thing; around here the only things that get grilled might be a meatball sandwich on a long roll or a chicken parm' sandwich on a long roll.

I am mentally translating your "hoagie, grinder" and "long rolls" into the proper New York term, "Heroes."
In Philly there is no such thing as a "Hero", "Sub", "Submarine", "Blimpie" or other similarly named sandwich... it's a hoagie. :P

The only acceptable alteration to that is the zep which was born in Norristown, PA. :D Growing up it was either a hoagie or a zep. Zeps were great sandwiches for students on bus trips because they were smaller than a hoagie, on a Kaiser round roll instead of an Italian long roll, and with no lettuce they lasted the day until it was lunch time.

".... it's a heavy sandwich. Enough salami to cover a foot of wide, golden-crusted roll, enough provolone to cover the salami, thumb-thick chunks of raw onion and slabs of tomato across the whole thing. Add oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste. Hot pepper relish if desired. And that's it.
In a strict sense, the zep is little but a variation on the traditional hoagie, with no lettuce and only one meat. But don't talk it down in Norristown, where Katie Kohler describes the combination as a matter of local pride."

Where does Penn Station fit into this? http://www.penn-station.com/history.php They're "based" on what he found in philly. Popular around here (almost always packed).

The chicken is pretty good kevin, most of their lunch meats are tolerable. I ate subway lots because it was cheap and if you make the right choices way better than most other fast food. However they're just as bad if you're not careful.

Never heard of "Penn Station East Coast Subs" here in NYC... I thought this was a question about the train station. Didn't make much sense. :LOL:

Where does Penn Station fit into this? http://www.penn-station.com/history.php They're "based" on what he found in philly. Popular around here (almost always packed).
Seems like he was inspired by Philly sandwiches, hence the "sub" name, but is based out of Cinncy.

The chicken is pretty good kevin, most of their lunch meats are tolerable. I ate subway lots because it was cheap and if you make the right choices way better than most other fast food. However they're just as bad if you're not careful.
None in this part of the world either (about 30 miles NW of Philly). Looks like the closest one would be on the Eastern side of the state near Pittsburgh. From their nutrition FAQ page though it they look like it'd be a candidate for a healthier lunch.

It amazes me that there are more Subways than McDonalds now.

My first experience with Subway was in the early 90's (maybe even late 80's) in Florida. We'd go down to Florida for a few weeks in the summer (great time, right?) and there were a couple of them. One around Ft. Lauderdale not far from one of my friend's houses (who also would go to FL in the summer.) I don't remember anything fancy like chicken or meatballs being available in those days- it all seemed like cold cuts and you'd tell them to "Run it through the garden" to get all the toppings.. (lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, etc...)

Zachery Speaking of Penn Station Subs, you might want to check your recent debit/credit card statements! :eek:

Restaurant Chain Reports Card Breach

Penn Station Inc. has confirmed that 43 of its 235 U.S. restaurants may have been affected by a payments breach that exposed credit and debit details.

In a June 1 statement and list of frequently asked questions posted on Penn Station's corporate website, the restaurant chain identifies franchise locations in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Tennessee that may have been affected by the attack.

Penn Station suspects the compromise dates back to March, based on a preliminary investigation, according to its FAQ posting. Debit and credit cards used during March and April may have been exposed.

Penn Station says only account holder names and card numbers were breached. Whether PINs or card verification codes were part of that information has not been clarified.

Haven't had anything bad happen yet. :D

Edit: As far as subway goes I remember being introduced to them in the 90's. The first sub I had was a cold cut combo, mom had a seafood and crab and let me have a bite. I was hooked. I'm sad it so hard to find now. I know its not that healthy (covered in mayo) but it is tasty and I have never been able to replicate the taste at home on any level.

Went to Subway for lunch, got my usual tuna (only thing I will get from there)... on a 12" roll. I have no will power. :cry:

Edit: As far as subway goes I remember being introduced to them in the 90's. The first sub I had was a cold cut combo, mom had a seafood and crab and let me have a bite. I was hooked. I'm sad it so hard to find now. I know its not that healthy (covered in mayo) but it is tasty and I have never been able to replicate the taste at home on any level.
My wife loves the seafood & crab from there as well! For some reason though most of the local stores no longer carry it and there is only one, a new store that just opened recently, that does offer it.

I wish I could get the flavor the same at home, just can't be done. Don't know if its their crab, or their mayo. But I can't even get close to it at home.

Back