Cadet
Hi all.

I am running out of decent spacey SCI-FI series. I have done:

Andromeda,
All the Star Treks: TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voy
Stargate SG1 and Atlantis
Farscape.

I am also aware of Doctor Who etc.

I still have Battlestar Gallactica to do, and please do not suggest Stargate Universe because it is terrible.

I know this kinda ties into the "Good 80s movies thread", but I am after TV series.

Any suggestions??

End of transmission...

neu-tron :confused:

Lately I've been watching...

Demons (BBC America) - Think 'male version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer'
Sanctuary (SyFy)
Warehouse 13 (SyFy)
Fringe (Fox) - Be sure to watch from the beginning; not a show to just jump into.
Flash Forward (ABC) - Same as above, need to watch them in order.
V (ABC) - Wasn't bad but I'm not sure if I'll be watching it regularly like some other shows.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have started 2 series I originally missed.

1- BSG.
I didn't think I would like it so I didn't bother. I was wrong. BSG is addictive.

2- Firefly.
Judging by the lack of DVDs for a second season, I figured there is only one series (and the Film).
Shame because it is good Sci-Fi.
Same with Space Above and Beyond, just 1 series.

And now I know where the gorgeous Jewel Staite & Morena Baccarin originate from!

Demons (BBC America) - Think 'male version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer'
Well, so much for Demons! Apparently the BBC only commissioned six episodes of it and that's all there is to it. Don't know yet if BBC America will be re-airing it.

Same with Space Above and Beyond, just 1 series
I think S:A&B was one of those shows that was before its time. If aired after 2001 then the dark tone of the series likely would've found a greater audience, much like the re-imagined BSG did.

Have you heard of Babylon Five? Or Earth: Final Conflict? Haven't seen them myself, sorry.

Caprica is perhaps the first scifi family drama, and I really think it's compelling.

I hope this falls under your classification of series, but I recommend highly to any sci fi fan to buy a box set or watch the New Years marathon of "The Twilight Zone".
Rod Serling is a highly underrated sci fi author and his stories in this show became classics of not only sci fi but tv in particular. This man had the entire country eating out of his hand between the years 1959 and 1964. The actors he used, William Shatner, Burgess Meredith, Jack Klugman, all cut their bones on this series.

Richard Matheson and Charles Beaumont wrote episodes for this show also when they were in their prime.

Television has never been able to reproduce anything like this since.

If, however this does not fit into your classification of series, then I recommend "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoohan. Very British sci fi, very dry wit and a thinking persons tv show......Hope this helps.

I would highly recommend babylon 5, one of my favourite ever sci fi tv shows. has so many levels to it and the seasons just get better.

I think if you did not like StarGate Universe you may not like BSG at all.

I would highly recommend babylon 5, one of my favourite ever sci fi tv shows. has so many levels to it and the seasons just get better. ...
The first few seasons of B5 were amongst the finest sci-fi shows shown on TV. By the last season, unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a roadmap anymore with where to take the characters & events.

Bablyon 5 should be your next step. Not perfect by far, but probably the best space soap opera out there, followed by DS9 and then BSG

The first few seasons of B5 were amongst the finest sci-fi shows shown on TV. By the last season, unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a roadmap anymore with where to take the characters & events.

to be honest you are right, the final season was a let down compared to seasons 1,2,3,4, but the banter between londo and g'kar was still great viewing even in season 5

The Series I suggest are:

SG-1
SG Atlantis
Babylon 5
Firefly (a must)
Farscape
Andromeda
Star Trek (Original, DS9, Voyager, New Generation and especially Enterprise, which I consider the best of all the Star Trek)
Space Above and Beyond
Earth2
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Red Dwarf (if you like comedy mixed up with Sci fi)
Earth Final Conflict
Battlestar Galactica
Eureka (another Sci fi Comedy)
Lexx (If you like strange dark sci fi).

If you like some of the classic series look for Blake's 7 and Buck Rogers in the 25 Century.

Honestly I could go on but I think this is a fairly complete list.

I would greatly recommend Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. I loved both. Not to mention, if you watch Battlestar Galactica, you can start watching "Caprica" which is still in production.

Back