Superman Returns

Darrt

Cadet
Me and Sym just went to see it last night.

Short review: Awesome

Long review: The movie was awesome. If you didn't know, it continues after Superman 2, pretending 3 and 4 never happened. However, I barely remember the old movies and you don't need to to enjoy the movie. The acting was superb and CGI was great. They pulled off the SFX and the whole space thing very well. The movie also had plenty well-timed very humorous moments a la Batman Begins. The movie also did a great job of portraying Superman's character (Same with Lois, Lex, Jimmy, and everyone else). Damn it's a good movie. Go. See it now.

(Why are you still reading??? Go see the movie already! This post will still be here!)

Problems: Superman's costume is impervious to bullets and fire, but can be cut by a pair of medical scissors.

There's pretty much only one song (The awesome theme) but they pulled it off so well, you just knew when the song started playing something awesome was going to happen.

Is the next movie going to be called Superman's Still Here?

Lex makes an island out of a radioactive rock. Cancer, anyone?

(Why aren't you watching the move? And if you stopped reading earlier to go see it, why aren't you watching it again?)

i suspect it would be a good movie and all from the commercials, but i dont really like superman. i think its really lame how *everyone* from his planet has those superpowers.

superheroes who have unique powers and interesting stories just interest me more i guess.

Yea... Except he's the only one left... And they only get the powers from a yellow sun. They were normal on Krypton where there was a red sun. And there's no such thing as a superhero with unique powers. Every Marvel guy has a D.C. rip off and vice versa.

Heck, normally I don't really like Superman (I have my reasons), but this movie was awesome. It made Superman actually seem cool.

(Minus those three that got stuck in the wierd prison mabob)

Honestly, I never truely liked Superman Returns. it was incredibly slow in my opinion.

I thought it was good. I don't remember the originals to well but this one seemed solid enough. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor...priceless :smiley:

I'm old... I saw all the Superman movies, and I love them all. The only thing that has majorly irked me my whole life, was the PlasticWrap "S" shield thingy he did in one of his movies... where in the tar did that come from?

As Darrt said, the whole "super speed, strength, x-ray, heat vision, impenetrable" powers are from the yellow sun and all Kryptonians would have said powers due to our yellow sun. I too, will also not spoil the movie, but it was awesome. It is a drama, of sorts, with comic moments, and better realism than I saw in any of the X-Men movies. IE: in space, his cape did not flutter or fall; there was no sense of gravity or wind...

I was impressed with the movie in as much that, it stayed very close to the original superman movies, with modern day effects. People looking at the old Superman movies, will find them more cheesy than anything...

All in all 4.75 stars out of 5. I'm buying this movie!

~ Jaraeth

I watched the movie and I was very disappointed.

It seemed to me that the producers, directors and screenwriters came together before the movie to brainstorm as to what they needed to make the movie sell.... and then realised that they don't need anything: it's Superman, of course people will go see it.

The plot... well, wasn't really there. The title pretty much gives away the entirety of the plot: "Yeah guys, Superman like back and stuff and... well, here he is."

The acting and special effects were actually pretty damn good, and were the one aspect I truly enjoyed. Problem was: the parts were horribly scripted. Superman himself is a total perv: flying over to Louis' house at night all the time to stare through the walls. Lines such as:

L - "Well, see you around."
C - "I'm *always* around."

don't say "wonderful love story" to me.... they say "restraining order".

Lex: who is one of my favourite characters ever was written as basically a raving loonatic who keeps claiming he will have the most advanced technology ever, but far as I could see it came down to "add rock to water".

The implausibility of far too many things annoyed me.... but you had to ind of expect it, Superman being over-the-top. The internal inconsistencies of the movie like when Superman flies around carrying two million tons of kryptonite are what finally and irreversibly shattered my suspension of disbelief and all round generally irritated me.

MikeDold said:
ok, yea thats understandable. waht i meant to say as *unique* was not the generic powers like flying or superstrength.

ya know?

Seeing as how Superman was the first real 'superhero', he originally WAS unique. Those powers became 'generic' from all the copycats that came after him.

I really enjoyed the new Supe flick. I think the crew did a good job of trying to make a new, modern Spuerman movie, but also not tryign to utterly destroy the canon that had been set previously.

Of course I also liked the fact that we finally got a movie with a true hero, and not another chain smoking, whiskey guzzling anti-hero, because they're so cool and everything. *rolls eyes*

Back