Season 5 Surprisingly Pleased

J Jones

Cadet
I'm surprised at myself so far this season. I'm liking Alias better this year than the first four of last year! True, a pregnant Syd is a little tough. I wasn't a big Vaughn fan after the second year, so that's not bothering me a lot. I love the new baddies.. Gordon and Kelly. Tom Grace I also think is great.. I'll withhold judgement on Racheal. Weiss I'm going to miss A LOT. I'm hoping we'll see him back. I believe so far what we've seen was filmed prior to his show not being picked up. (DON'T tell me if you know differently! I PREFER to make up my own endings <grin>) .. IF he should come back, he's working 'steps from the President' .. along with 'you wouldn't believe who it is if I told you' .... all sounds like it could become a SUPER story line!
Sloan let loose by the bad guys? Good twist. Jack knowing something about Tom's background that he figures he can deal with ??? Who REALLY ordered the hit on Vaughn. And of course, the BODY! Is it Rambaldi?
To date it looks to me like the writer's have put a lot of thought into the season and into the story line. It's always hard when actors leave, but once again, I'm really looking forward to next week!

I also think there's more humor this year than in the past. Which, BTW is one thing that I've always loved about ALIAS and sets it apart from some of the other nail biters.
(y)

We know going in nobody of importnat would die. SEason 1 they took
people out in almost every epsode. It is not the same. Vartan being wouldn't
have made this work for me last night.

Hey--I miss Vaugh too but I like Tom Grace. I enjoy seeing Dixon more. And of course, Syd is the heart of the show. Rachel's character is still developing so we'll see what happens with her but the show has promise still.

I'm glad to see some positive statements about this season - I choose to look at the positive and I strongly believe that Vaughn is alive. I see alot of potential for character development. We have Rachel, who has the makings of an agent and Sydney the one that will be training her. This will allow us to see more of what makes Sydney tick. I am looking forward to see how Thomas Grace's character will develop - I think that he is going to add alot of excitment.

And now we have the twist of Sloane being set free by the bad guys....I think this all has the makings of a very good season.

I am enjoying this season. Sure I have some gripes...like HELLO Nadia??? They just kind of left that hanging. I know she has been mentioned, IMO the handling of that has not been stellar. HOWEVER, Sloane going back to the darkside....yummily complex...I mean is he really or is he going to try and be a good guy from that end? And what the hell was Jack thinking when his pardon stood! Jack has got the BEST expressions. I like Rachel and will look forward into some delving on the character of Tom. Any ideas what his "issue" was that Jack could handle?

I do feel badly for huge Vartan fans. I am not so attached, but if they killed off Spydad, I would probably boycott as well. He is my staple (other than Syd of course) for the show. I am bummed about Vartan, but not crushed, like I would be if they took away Spydad!

Again, I'm happy to see that not all fans are bitter and leaving. Some still love the show for the dramatic, intense, entertaining show it is.

I have been....somewhat pleased with the season. I can see it's high point and low points, and I really do believe that the storyline will pay off when everything comes together.

I was FLOORED by the premiere. The death of Vaughn, to me, wasn't a "betrayal of the character" or a "let down to fans". It was a shocking, surprising twist and was handled in a dark, dramatic, intense fashion. It was incredible.

"...1..." I didn't love so much because of the rather awkward introductions of Rachel and Tom. But I appreciated the complexities of the mystery of the box, and what Dean was up to. And it was rather sad to see Weiss go.

"The Shed" was probably my least liked episode this season, not because it centered around Rachel and how her story was similar to Sydney's, it's just that I felt that they lingered on that story too long. There was little action, or excitement except for the ending, and it seemed they just COMPLETELY forgot about the box.

"Mockingbird" was probably tied with the premiere as my favorite episode this season. I just loved how the intense spying of Alias returned, along with the intrigue, action, suspense, and writing. I love Rachel and Tom now, and I really do feel that everything that the writers have done so far has made a good impression on the show. I feel that the missions are BETTER with the new team rather with the old one. Rachel being the more tech-spy-geek like Marshall, Tom filling the role of Vaughn, Dixon finally sharing some spotlight thanks to Weiss and Nadia leaving, and Sydney taking it a little easier. It makes for a more intricate, interesting, and unique mission. At least from "Mockingbird" it was...

And Sloane finally being released has opened so many questions. Is he reformed? How is he going to avenge what he did to Nadia? Is he really the father of Nadia? Is he going to join Dean? I cannot wait!

I totally agree! Alias is not at the peak it was in the first two seasons, but it is definitely better than season 3 & 4. The missions are fun, they're finally giving us some interesting Sloane stuff, Rachel and Tom are fitting in quite nicely. I'm having lots of fun.

will look forward into some delving on the character of Tom. Any ideas what his "issue" was that Jack could handle?

Gut feeling here... But asking Jack if he's OK with something suggests a link to Irena Derevko! It makes Jack who he is! And OH, wholdn't that be GREAT :woot: :woot:

At times we have seen Jack "bend the rules" to protect Sydney or to get the job done...He worked with Irena..(which we all knew was ok, but Washington did not)...I think that Jack has found someone on Tom who is willing to "bend the rules" like him...

"Mockingbird" was probably tied with the premiere as my favorite episode this season. I just loved how the intense spying of Alias returned, along with the intrigue, action, suspense, and writing. I love Rachel and Tom now, and I really do feel that everything that the writers have done so far has made a good impression on the show. I feel that the missions are BETTER with the new team rather with the old one. Rachel being the more tech-spy-geek like Marshall, Tom filling the role of Vaughn, Dixon finally sharing some spotlight thanks to Weiss and Nadia leaving, and Sydney taking it a little easier. It makes for a more intricate, interesting, and unique mission. At least from "Mockingbird" it was...

Mockingbird has definately been one of my faves this season. I thought JG was amazing playing the pregnant gambler. It just seemed like an effortless, but excellent performance. I think Jack brought Tom to the team because he's more like Jack than any other character we've seen previous. I think Jack knows he can trust Tom to protect Sydney... (not that she necessarily needs it, but he's her father, and he worries... ahhh! :sigh: )

I love seeing Rachel being groomed in to a field-agent, feeling responsible for stopping Dean, much like Syd does/did/will-again with Sloan.

Back