Music Surround Sound Systems / Home Theaters

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Anybody using a surround sound system as part of your home TV watching? :headphone:

I've finally gotten around to hooking up a Panasonic 7.1 surround system here at the house in the TV room. It's an older system that was sitting new in a box for years and it was time to either donate it to somebody else or hook it up; I spent my busted snow day hooking it up.

If nothing else it taught me a few things for the future as till now I haven't used optical audio cables before nor ever worried about trying to hook up an original model X-Box 360 to a surround sound system.

Tonight I was going through the DVD & Blu-Ray collection trying to find any discs that supported 5.1 & above audio. :D

I have a JVC surround system hooked up. It has 7.1 but I use it mainly in stereo mode with 4 large MTX loudspeakers. ( actually have 4 loudspeakers, 2 rear, 2 midrange, 2 tweeters and a subwoofer)
I can certainly vibrate anything off the walls at my neighbors if I want.

I noticed that Walmart has a 55" HDTV on sale for $549 right now.
My 50" seems small in comparison.
My son tells me to get a projector. Says they are much better than those from years gone by, and pretty cheap.
Thing is, with my surround system and my 50"Tv I have all I need.
I remember back in the 80's taking apart my TV and hooking my sound to the stereo. This was before the RCA jacks appeared on the TVs.

Right now I have my computer plumbed directly into my stereo plus I have the TV output on RCA jacks to my stereo. The patchcords are pretty cheap. My X-Box is hooked to my TV and I have simulated surround thru my JVC via the stereo TV inputs. Gaming is awesome!

I have a JVC surround system hooked up. It has 7.1 but I use it mainly in stereo mode with 4 large MTX loudspeakers. ( actually have 4 loudspeakers, 2 rear, 2 midrange, 2 tweeters and a subwoofer)
I can certainly vibrate anything off the walls at my neighbors if I want.

I noticed that Walmart has a 55" HDTV on sale for $549 right now.
My 50" seems small in comparison.
My son tells me to get a projector. Says they are much better than those from years gone by, and pretty cheap.
Thing is, with my surround system and my 50"Tv I have all I need.
I remember back in the 80's taking apart my TV and hooking my sound to the stereo. This was before the RCA jacks appeared on the TVs.

Right now I have my computer plumbed directly into my stereo plus I have the TV output on RCA jacks to my stereo. The patchcords are pretty cheap. My X-Box is hooked to my TV and I have simulated surround thru my JVC via the stereo TV inputs. Gaming is awesome!
Tom, I didn't realize you were a gamer, let alone on X-Box. Wait, come to think of it.... I think I have your gamertag as a friend but haven't seen you online lately.

No big box speakers for me this go-round, just a bunch of small bookshelf speakers and the subwoofer on the floor. The setup is in our TV/family room and it's loud enough already that I think I'm starting to annoy the dogs, especially with 'thumps' from the woofer. I've got the speakers on stands that, when sitting down, position them at head level.

Not bad so far but finding some 7.1 discs in my collection hasn't given any results. I'm pretty sure my FiOS box only supports 5.1, same with my X-Box 360. I think the X-Box One X supports 7.1 though so at least I'll be ready someday when that happens.

The X-Box One X though won't come until one of the existing TVs in the house dies, then I can move the big TV to that spot and get a new 4K TV for movie watching. In the meantime movie watching is being done on a 50" Panasonic plasma (yes, plasma). The plasma has a great picture but is starting to show its age when compared against even some of today's cheaper units. My laptop is a 4K Dell XPS 15 and I keep visualizing a 50" version of that monitor. :LOL:

My JVC has a emulator so even when the input is 2 channel it outputs to surround.
I don't game much at all anymore on the X-box 360. As a matter of fact, I don't game on the PC much anymore either. I do have the X synced with my Windows Media Center but anything I want to do in that fashion I just do with my computer.

Having the computer hooked up to the TV and stereo is just standard procedure now.
Not sure if I could handle a small screen and twinkie sound?
My lappy is hooked up to a 22" HP monitor and I have a wireless keyboad and mouse for it too.
I only use it to run 32bit programs that won't run in my 64 bit system. I do have an adapter that allows me to plug into my TV tho. My TV has a VGA input too. I just don't use it much.

I think...The TV I saw on sale at Walmart was
Samsung 55" Class 4K (2160P) Smart LED TV

Key Features:
  • Screen Size (Diag.): 55"
  • Backlight Type: LED
  • Resolution: 2160p
  • Effective Refresh Rate: 60Hz
  • Smart Functionality: yes
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9
  • OSD Language: English, Spanish, French
  • Speakers/Power Output: 10W x 2
  • Sound System: Dolby Digital Plus
Connectivity:
  • HDMI Inputs: 3
  • RS-232C: 1
  • USB 2.0 ports: 2
  • Built-in WiFi: yes
Online the price is close to the sale at the store

$577.99 List $999.00

Tonight I was going through the DVD & Blu-Ray collection trying to find any discs that supported 5.1 & above audio. :D
Jackpot! At some point I bought the Blu-Ray collection of Star Wars I-VI from Costco; found it buried in the pile of DVDs still sealed. Next 'pizza & movie' night I know what'll be playing. :D

Back