Season 4 Sydney Bristow - what has happened te her?

Even in the horrors of S3, Syd had a driving force. S1 was taking down SD-6, S2 was SD-6/trusting or not trusting Irina, S3 was taking down *h**en and finding Nada... in S4, she doesn't have anything.

I love S4 myself, but I do miss a driven Syd, with a clear objective in mind. Instead, she's been relegated to reacting to other people's storylines: Vaughn's, Jack's, Dixon's.

As far as those reactions, I disagree with posts about Jack. SpyDaddy isn't unemotional at any sense, just watch his eyes. His body may seem like it's been carved from stone sometimes, but his eyes always give him away. Fabulous acting on VG's part. JG can do that too... but this season, she typically (with a few notable exceptions), hasn't even been doing that much.

Very odd indeed.

I agree with you Jinnie (more so prior to the last 3-4 episodes) but I agree with this, also:

Seems to me that if every single episode were entirely Sydney, they'd wear the character out . . . hm, sorta like season 3, when she seemed to be doing and saying the same thing all the time. But maybe you like that better. Me, I see they have a great ensemble cast, let them use it.

I'm just saying that I'm beginning to understand why it seems that Syd has had little to do this season. I believe the writers are leading up to a dramatic climax with Syd and I think it was important to this climax to tell some back stories and stories in general about the other characters of the show. I think if we are patient, the writers won't disappoint us where Syd is concerned.

verdantheart said:
Boy, let the emphasis go off of Sydney for a couple of weeks and see what happens . . .  :lol: --or was "Nightingale" too "Vaughny"? It had plenty of Syd in it, and also had something to say about her character, as in how far she would go for Vaughn vs the CIA. Yeah, I can understand objecting to seeing Vaughn (again!) in the field with Dixon (finally!)--with no Sydney around. But there's even a purpose to having the girls rattling around APO for awhile. Sydney knows there's something up with her dad, and she's becoming concerned.

Anyway, looking back over the earlier episodes, it seems to me that Sydney was very much the focus or a focus in every episode, with perhaps more focus on Vaughn this season as well (less interesting for me, perhaps) up to episode 12 (The Orphan). Pandora could be seen as being fairly Vaughn-centric with some Syd action, with AMS being mostly Sloane/Nadia.

But it's only been recent that the emphasis has come off of Sydney and it's sure to go back onto her. Seems to me that if every single episode were entirely Sydney, they'd wear the character out . . . hm, sorta like season 3, when she seemed to be doing and saying the same thing all the time. But maybe you like that better. Me, I see they have a great ensemble cast, let them use it.  ;)
[post="1319178"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The problem is not lack of emphasis on Sydney. Hell, I am one of the strongest proponents of Alias NOT being "the Syd and Vaughn Show." The problem is her character, which is not the same as it used to be, and not for the reasons the show purports. It's like she's Dead Syd Walking. Kinda just pathetic, really.

Well, it looks like next week Syd will get to show off her acting prowess! The promo following the show gave us reason to think that next weeks episode is going to be packed with conflict, emotion and history for Syd. I think she will be great! I miss her S 1&2 character as well, but I must say I have really enjoyed seeing more of the cast this year. Except in the opening of the show! :angry: Side note: it really annoys me how it is only Syd during the Alias theme song at the beginning. Especially since they are really just trying to sex her up to capture a certain demographic of viewers! Gag!!! :lame:

verdantheart said:
Boy, let the emphasis go off of Sydney for a couple of weeks and see what happens . . .  :lol: --or was "Nightingale" too "Vaughny"? It had plenty of Syd in it, and also had something to say about her character, as in how far she would go for Vaughn vs the CIA. Yeah, I can understand objecting to seeing Vaughn (again!) in the field with Dixon (finally!)--with no Sydney around. But there's even a purpose to having the girls rattling around APO for awhile. Sydney knows there's something up with her dad, and she's becoming concerned.

Anyway, looking back over the earlier episodes, it seems to me that Sydney was very much the focus or a focus in every episode, with perhaps more focus on Vaughn this season as well (less interesting for me, perhaps) up to episode 12 (The Orphan). Pandora could be seen as being fairly Vaughn-centric with some Syd action, with AMS being mostly Sloane/Nadia.

But it's only been recent that the emphasis has come off of Sydney and it's sure to go back onto her. Seems to me that if every single episode were entirely Sydney, they'd wear the character out . . . hm, sorta like season 3, when she seemed to be doing and saying the same thing all the time. But maybe you like that better. Me, I see they have a great ensemble cast, let them use it.  ;)
[post="1319178"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It's different with the earlier episodes (including Nightingale), because they were standalones and it was expected and acceptable that Syd wouldn't have a major arc.

But now that we're in the giant season-concluding arc, where is Sydney? Lately she's been moral support for Vaughn on HIS arc, and now she's being protected like a little kid in Jack's.

And I resent that implication. Season 3 was the story of Lauren - but even so, you still knew what Sydney wanted, and her desire drove the arc of a dead Lauren to conclusion. And my hatred of S3 is pretty well-known.

They do indeed have a great ensemble cast - but the show (and the credits) clearly show that Sydney is the main character. My problem is that the episodes contradict this. Tuning in, a casual viewer could easily consider Vaughn or Jack the main, and that's not the case (although I do love them both). There is a way to further develop the outlying cast while keeping Sydney front and center - look at S1, for example.

But I guess I just demand originality and balance from my TV show, silly me. ;)

I was someone who was a bit annoyed at Syd's frequent tears and freak outs in prior seasons, and I've been frustrated by the lack of Sydney emotion like many others in this season - which do seem a bit contradictory. But as I think about it, though, I wish I could have seen more of the transition between the two Syds. I can accept that having her younger sister around now, going through many of the same things she went through, can give her a different perspective and anchor her a little bit. We saw that for instance when Syd finally came to terms with Nadia's need to be around her father, when equated Nadia's desire to learn about Sloane and have a relationship with him to Syd's own desire to have a relationship with her mother. That was an important turning point for Syd, I think. I wish they could give us more glimpses like that into her evolving view of the world.

Perhaps Syd's lack of emotion is because, compared to what her life was for the past three years, she's reasonably safe and reasonably happy. There aren't as many compelling reasons for her to get upset, and frantic, and happy, and worried and all those other ranges of emotions as she used to.

Although, I will have to say, I would have thought Syd would be more anxious to find out why her mother wanted her assassinated than she was. She found out, got upset, and then let it drop. And now that she's discovered her mother *didn't* want that, all the more reason to dig deeper and find out who caused her father to kill her mother. I think it would be a great opportunity for us to see how a more mature, more in control Syd handles a highly emotional situation.

As obsessed as she was with her mother for season 1 and season 2, it doesn't make sense for her to leave it alone now.

I had no problem with Sydney crying in Season 3, anyone who did, well, you have to realize that things are different from season to season and having everything be the same all the time sucks.

There were great crying scenes for Syd that year.

But anyway, I think we haven't seen that much of Sydney this year because:

1. Jennifer Garner has asked for a little less work. Working 14-hour days has tired her quite a little bit, and she asked J.J. to make things a little bit easier for her. This has been well documented.
2. To make the show more interesting and a little different, we need more background from other characters, especially Vaughn. So it makes sense that him, Nadia, Jack, Sloane, Marshall and even Weiss, would get more action and more focus this season. And I've liked what they've done. "The Orphan" is the first episode you think about with this, but also "Tuesday" (for Marshall), and "Nightingale" (for Vaughn).

Having said that, I don't think Sydney has missed a beat. She's had plenty of action, plenty of emotional scenes, plenty of confusion and crazyness. Just a little bit less.

Which is good. ;)

first of all i think some of you guys are not understanding me (I am really felgercarb at explaining what i mean) - i am not saying I am not enjoying the multi cast member side of alias - not at all - i totally understand jen wanting to work less hours and that meaning we have more from the other characters is really great news IMO BUT I don't see why this should remove syd from being a major player. As Jinnie said she doens't have her own storyline - she just seems to be helping everyone else along with theirs and it is just plain weird.

whocaffeinatedthecat? said:
I think maybe this jadedness is really due to a lack of a storyline to be passionate about. I mean, Sydney, the character herself, doesn't really have a storyline this season...she just seems to be riding on the coatails of the others...ex: Vaughn/ Dad mystery, Nadia/ Past/Sloane.

exactly! (y)

ms.katejones said:
The way I see it S1 focused on Syd's relationship with her father, S2 on her relationship with her mother, S3 on her relationship with Vaughn, and this season it's about her relationship with Sloane and Nadia. The more we learn about those two, the more we learn about the role they will play in Syd's life. *cough*prophecyandrambaldi*cough*

this is true but the show is about more than relationships and she is usually focused on a job thing too - season one taking down SD-6, season 2 finding out about sloane / irinas plans, season 3 taking down the covenant, season 4 ????? :confused:

AgentBlueEyes said:
I'm actually quite glad that the entire season hasn't focused on Syd. It's nice to see that other people around the office have lives too.....
[post="1318045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i totally agree. but her characters is being let down. -_-

Leslie said:
Ah Jems. :smiley: Now you know. This is exactly what is killing the show. :( -_-
[post="1318619"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

hmm not killing but just weird les. but yes i agree the show is not what it was but that is always the case with tv - it is usually the first season of any show which is the best!! The thing is I am enjoying season 4 but I just feel Sydney is still lost when really all things point to her being found this year. ;) Maybe I should be glad for our girl that she has no major hastle this year ^_^ that she can look after everyone else for once. But it just seems so strange. ^_^

OK, at the risk of digging myself in deeper because I don't entirely agree . . .

Jinnie said:
And I resent that implication. Season 3 was the story of Lauren - but even so, you still knew what Sydney wanted, and her desire drove the arc of a dead Lauren to conclusion. And my hatred of S3 is pretty well-known.
I'm not sure what implication you mean . . . that you loved season 3? If that is what you mean, have you ever got the wrong number. :angelic: I'm just using that as an example of a situation where lots of emotional Sydney scenes do not necessarily equal Alias excellence. (Besides, I certainly wasn't responding to any particular person, just to the sentiments in general. If I quoted, it was meant to be representative.)

They do indeed have a great ensemble cast - but the show (and the credits) clearly show that Sydney is the main character. My problem is that the episodes contradict this. Tuning in, a casual viewer could easily consider Vaughn or Jack the main, and that's not the case (although I do love them both). There is a way to further develop the outlying cast while keeping Sydney front and center - look at S1, for example.
[post="1319583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Jack? You must mean during "A Clean Concience"? Because he certainly has been absent. Follow my columns link and look at the Spy Dad columns for this season if you want to know--fewer even than last season. He hasn't been around. Unless the casual viewer happened to tune in last Wednesday, there's no way they'd mistake Jack for the lead. :lol:

Vaughn, on the other hand, I can see. :hmm:

(And, personally, I have a problem with the credits.)

Anyway, I'm just not seeing the "unemotionality" thing so much. Sydney didn't jump on investigating why her mother would have put the hit on her--yeah, I would have, so what?--but maybe the idea was that she couldn't face it, especially with the idea that her father killed her mother and having to deal with that if she investigated. If she set it all aside, she could avoid dealing with the whole mess. It seems that she's been emotional with Nadia--had fun with her, cried over her . . . . maybe it's the whole reserve with Vaughn thing. But for me, that makes a lot of sense. She's been burned. Sydney seemed angry enough with Sloane plenty of times, not like anything was missing there. I feel like the tension is there. And I feel like she was emotional in "Nocturne" . . .

I think she was less involved in the last three episodes, and with "The Orphan" plus the recent emphasis on Vaughn and the highlight on Marshall in "Tuesday," people are getting antsy, and it's understandable.

As far as the storyline thing goes, I think that the problem is that hers is not as well defined as it has been in past seasons. Threads (the hit/Jack's supposed response) were established early on, but pushed to the background. Other things, the growth of her relationship with Nadia, her reconciliation with Vaughn, her (with others) watch of Sloane, are important threads, but do not feel like part of a major arc--yet anyway. Maybe they need to get a better handle on making us feel that Sydney has a plan--rather than is just fighting for right week after week.

Oh, and BTW,
having everything be the same all the time sucks.
No kidding. Like having Sydney cry all the time--like all season long. :lol:

corect me if im wrong but wasent Jenfer, working on her movie Electra over the last couple of months ??? or is that why this season was 6 month late??? still recoring a move is much more demanding than doing a tv show .... even thought Alias is the best tv show ive ever seen it would not be as dificult as doinga a movie so no wonder she asked JJ to cut her houre down a bit ... the majority of ppl only work 9am-5pm and thats not full on physical work ... yes ther er some exceptions but can u emagane trying to do 14 hours a day and be as good as jenfier??? h@!! if i turn out half the actress she is i would be very happy!

bep said:
corect me if im wrong but wasent Jenfer, working on her movie Electra over the last couple of months ??? or is that why this season was 6 month late??? still recoring a move is much more demanding than doing a tv show .... even thought Alias is the best tv show ive ever seen it would not be as dificult as doinga a movie so no wonder she asked JJ to cut her houre down a bit ... the majority of ppl only work 9am-5pm and thats not full on physical work ... yes ther er some exceptions but can u emagane trying to do 14 hours a day and be as good as jenfier??? h@!! if i turn out half the actress she is i would be very happy!
[post="1320436"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The show started later because JJ asked the network to, to raise ratings and avoid the loooong breaks in between. And yeah, totally agree she's a great actress, i would love to have her ability...hell, i'd like to have her job...Micheal Vartan not so bad on the eyes....oh yeah and the action stuff :P Lauren

I think she was also partially laid up with a back injury. I believe the worst week was during the Orphan episode, then slowly got back in shape over the next couple weeks.

OK, at the risk of digging myself in deeper because I don't entirely agree . . .
I'm not sure what implication you mean . . .

Seems to me that if every single episode were entirely Sydney, they'd wear the character out . . . hm, sorta like season 3, when she seemed to be doing and saying the same thing all the time. But maybe you like that better.

(emphasis mine)

Jack? You must mean during "A Clean Concience"? Because he certainly has been absent. Follow my columns link and look at the Spy Dad columns for this season if you want to know--fewer even than last season. He hasn't been around. Unless the casual viewer happened to tune in last Wednesday, there's no way they'd mistake Jack for the lead. :lol:

Ah, the burden of speaking with future knowledge.

The arc coming is Jack, Sloane, Elena, Irina, Katya. Syd is a bystander. That's what I meant. It makes no sense whatsoever to for the main character to be shuffled aside in the major arc of the season.

Vaughn, on the other hand, I can see. :hmm:

I adore Vaughn to pieces, but I didn't sign up for The Michael Vaughn Show.

(And, personally, I have a problem with the credits.)

I don't. They show the main character, which is fine. Now, had I been doing them, I would've leaned more with the Buffy approach - SMG was emphasized, but all the other characters had a little moment. But if JJ chooses to focus only on Sydney, I find it understandable. Everyone else is expendable.

I think she was less involved in the last three episodes, and with "The Orphan" plus the recent emphasis on Vaughn and the highlight on Marshall in "Tuesday," people are getting antsy, and it's understandable.

Well, part of my apprehension comes from that, but not most of it. I think the upcoming arc kicks all kinds of ass, sure. But where's Sydney in it? That's my worry, 'cause right now, (tagged just to be cautious, nothing major)

I don't see a distinguished role. Heck, Vaughn has more of a connection in the grand scheme of things then she does, due to his William investigation.

But I'm also spoiler-free for the finale, so who knows? They could refocus the spotlight on her.

I actually found the sisterly moments between Nadia and Sydney almost off-putting and corny. Its odd because usually I liek this kind of thing, but with Alias, I dont like it at all.

I hate the way they keep referring Nadia as 'your sister'. She has a name for pete's sake! I cant explain it, but Im not very keen on the family affair happening between Nadia, Sydney, Sloane and Jack this season. I feel like its almost taken the edge away from the show.

thats what my boyfriend said this season too (y); he hates all the relationship stuff too - not the interesting relatio ship stuff but the cutesy weiss and nadia stuff. he just wants action with the realy spy family intrigue I suppose. He stopped watched after The Orphan :(

nobody has convinced me sydney is involved yet - i didn't read jinnies spoilers and have no idea what is coming up but i don't really see how another, what 5 episodes can suddenly give sydney a major storyline to work on and achieve closure in. -_-

the credits discussion kind of makes me giggle cos when you see the credits you think you are in it for sydney but this season thats so not true - kind of ironic that the credits changed this season if you ask me ^_^ and i am with jinnie on liking that the credits focus on syd, although i am not to into the beatsy music and there are too many aliases for my tatse but she is the star after all :smiley: anyway i'm getting off topic here........

verdantheart said:
As far as the storyline thing goes, I think that the problem is that hers is not as well defined as it has been in past seasons.
this i exactly what is a little weird. it's like this year isn't her story and thats what is off. ;) cos it is supposed to be sydnrey's story but isn't!

now again i stress i am enjoying having other characters developed more and i am forgiving of jens bad back and wanting to work less hours BUT that said, I think they ciuld have reduced her work load without removing her so much from the actual plot -_- if her story this year is about having a sister then that's pretty weak :confused: now if they are gonna do battle it might make sense in the end fair enough but i guess we'll have to wait and see. :P

Jinnie said:
Ah, the burden of speaking with future knowledge.
[post="1321201"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: Oh, those arriving in a time travel device would think Jack was the lead. I see.

I avoid spoilers like the plague (geez it's hard to avoid them while quoting!!!).

Well, I hope that they can reassert Sydney. They have lost track of her a little in the last couple of episodes, but I maintain that she was indeed the focus of more than the first half of the season. The problem is that most of those were stand-alone episodes, so there is no continuing storyline to carry us through to now . . . unlike Vaughn. -_-

verdantheart said:
The problem is that most of those were stand-alone episodes, so there is no continuing storyline to carry us through to now . . . unlike Vaughn. -_-
[post="1323874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

(y)

Back