Sydney

Azalea

Azy in Wonderland
Okay, this quote is from the Countdown reaction thread, but I thought this might be a good subject for a separate thread.

Aliaswannabe2 @Apr 29 2003 said:
Plus, I feel that ALIAS should focus more on Sydney, rather than on Dixon and Sloane and that stupid monk...

You know, I was thinking about this earlier, and it does seem like the focus of the show has moved away from Sydney's perspective lately. Now it's more of mulitple-character perspective, where the face-time and storylines are divided more evenly. (J.J. Abrams moved in this direction with Felicity too, after the first season.)

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. It gives the other stellar cast members a chance to shine, which is wonderful because they are all so amazingly talented. But the show seems more anchored when it's about Sydney and her actions, emotions, and relationships. After all, it's her journey. Alias was conceived as a show about a double-agent, not an ensemble CIA show. Sometimes lately it feels like Sydney is just another character, no more or less important than the others. Is this a good move? Or a bad one?

(Sorry if this should be in the "Sydney" forum, but I thought it was more about the show in general.)

I don't feel that it's that way, frankly. Yes, "Countdown" focused on Dixon quite a bit, but Dixon was out of the picture a great deal during the first part of the season, so it's nice to see him featured in an episode. I thought that "Endgame" featured Sydney, and if I think back over the previous episodes, all of them have a prominent Sydney storyline, including "A Dark Turn," which features Jack/Irina. I think of Alias as lead plus ensemble, with Sydney in the lead. I've always felt that she's the most "important" character. Various characters occasionally nearly (or completely) disappear at times to give other characters more exposure--including Jack (who occasionally turns into exposition man), everyone except Sydney, in fact. I'd hate to see such a remarkable cast wasted--not to mention their characters' storylines--just so that the star could get more air time.
;)

verdantheart said:
I don't feel that it's that way, frankly. Yes, "Countdown" focused on Dixon quite a bit, but Dixon was out of the picture a great deal during the first part of the season, so it's nice to see him featured in an episode. I thought that "Endgame" featured Sydney, and if I think back over the previous episodes, all of them have a prominent Sydney storyline, including "A Dark Turn," which features Jack/Irina. I think of Alias as lead plus ensemble, with Sydney in the lead. I've always felt that she's the most "important" character. Various characters occasionally nearly (or completely) disappear at times to give other characters more exposure--including Jack (who occasionally turns into exposition man), everyone except Sydney, in fact. I'd hate to see such a remarkable cast wasted--not to mention their characters' storylines--just so that the star could get more air time.
;)
eh ditto

I really like how now they are starting to focus a little more on other characters. We now are able to start to learn a little bit about each one, which I think adds to the show. I also think it adds to Sydney's character if we learn about the people she's surrounded by.

Vicky :smiley:

Yes, it did focus more on Dixon but that had to happen since Sloane wanted to get revenge on him. If the episode had centered around Sydney it wouldn't have felt right. Oh does anyone know the name of the new character who has a thing for marshall? lol i think its the cutest thing, but i forgot to tape the episode and didnt catch her name the first time around. If anyone could help me out it would be highly appreciated! Just send me a message. thanks! :D

vics2881 said:
I really like how now they are starting to focus a little more on other characters. We now are able to start to learn a little bit about each one, which I think adds to the show. I also think it adds to Sydney's character if we learn about the people she's surrounded by.

Vicky :smiley:
i agree but we dont see as much of sydney as we used to! i like the change up sometimes but yes sydney is our main character i just hope they realize that sometimes!

What did "Endgame" center around if not Sydney? The Caplans? Certainly not any other regular character. It had a snippit of this character and that, but it was about Sydney going off on her own to save Neil Caplan.
;)

I think maybe one of the reasons it seems like she isn't the focus as much anymore is that she isn't involved in as much personal drama. During season one, there was the whole Danny murder, the strain between her and Jack, and the stress of lying to everybody and constantly being on the verge of getting caught. Then, for the first part of this season, there was renewed tension between Syd and Jack, the emotional trauma that accompanied Irina's arrival, and the growing romantic tension with Vaughn.

Now, while there's still a lot going on, Syd's life has normalized somewhat (as much as her life can be normal.) She's not a double agent, just a regular CIA agent. Will's a part of her "real" life, and she doesn't yet know about evil Francie. She's in a real relationship with Vaughn, Irina's temporarily out of the picture, and she rarely has emotional scenes with Jack anymore. The center of action has shifted from Sydney's complicated life to the complicated interactions between characters involved in the Rambaldi story. (And I'm not necessarily complaining. It's just a slightly different direction for the show, and so far, it hasn't disappointed.)

I have no objections to the storyline focusing on othere characters...I think it's great...but the problem is when they focus on Dixon (or really anyone in the CIA who is not Sydney or Vaughn) you leave out Will (who, wasn't he strangly absent from last week-or not but I don't remember him) and Francie (who is evil now so I guess so what). That's just my only problem with the shows focusing on someone other then Sydney-but either way it's still great. ^_^

Azalea said:
The center of action has shifted from Sydney's complicated life to the complicated interactions between characters involved in the Rambaldi story. (And I'm not necessarily complaining. It's just a slightly different direction for the show, and so far, it hasn't disappointed.)
I think we're about to find out that she is--or is about to land in--the middle of the Rambaldi story herself. She's a central player in that story, IMHO.
;)

Azalea said:
Okay, this quote is from the Countdown reaction thread, but I thought this might be a good subject for a separate thread.

Aliaswannabe2 @Apr 29 2003 said:
Plus, I feel that ALIAS should focus more on Sydney, rather than on Dixon and Sloane and that stupid monk...

You know, I was thinking about this earlier, and it does seem like the focus of the show has moved away from Sydney's perspective lately. Now it's more of mulitple-character perspective, where the face-time and storylines are divided more evenly. (J.J. Abrams moved in this direction with Felicity too, after the first season.)

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not. It gives the other stellar cast members a chance to shine, which is wonderful because they are all so amazingly talented. But the show seems more anchored when it's about Sydney and her actions, emotions, and relationships. After all, it's her journey. Alias was conceived as a show about a double-agent, not an ensemble CIA show. Sometimes lately it feels like Sydney is just another character, no more or less important than the others. Is this a good move? Or a bad one?

(Sorry if this should be in the "Sydney" forum, but I thought it was more about the show in general.)
i thinkthat it was for that episode. she of course is still the main characters, but to have a good story line and plot it needs to go to another character for a while to be better.

i agree that sydney is still the main character.they are mostly focusing on poeple that are part of her life,the people that she has do deal with around her every day life.it also shows how other people are dealing with the cia life and how they haddle certain situations while on missions or their life in general.syd is still pretty important she is not gone completely we still see her relansionship with vaughn grow and the relantionships with poeple who she works with.

still the majority of episodes r based on syd. there just needs to be other background on the other characters so it will lead it something that will involve her.

Now with this latest episode and the Prophecy being about Syd and her being gone and all this new trauma im sure shes going to face...next season should definitely get back into the habit of being about Syd...most of the other characters are somewhat at ease now...as for Syd...she has a whole new thunderstorm coming her way.

She's MEANT to be the main character...they try to TELL us she's the main character...but it's possible they're just brainwashing us into thinking that and slowly having other people take over....like Marshall. :P

SydB_JenG said:
Now with this latest episode and the Prophecy being about Syd and her being gone and all this new trauma im sure shes going to face...next season should definitely get back into the habit of being about Syd...most of the other characters are somewhat at ease now...as for Syd...she has a whole new thunderstorm coming her way.
i agree!!!

Back