T-Rex Soft tissue found

A 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex fossil dug out of a hunk of sandstone has yielded soft tissue, including blood vessels and perhaps even whole cells, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday.

She said the vessels were flexible and in some cases their contents could be squeezed out.

"The microstructures that look like cells are preserved in every way," added Schweitzer, whose findings were published in the journal Science.

"Preservation of this extent, where you still have this flexibility and transparency, has never been seen in a dinosaur before." Feathers, hair and fossilized egg contents yes, but not truly soft tissue.

Studying the soft tissues may help answer many questions about dinosaurs. Were they cold-blooded like reptiles, warm-blooded like mammals, or somewhere in-between? How are they related to living animals?
Of course, the big question is whether it will be possible to see dinosaur DNA. "We don't know yet. We are doing a lot in the lab now that looks promising," Schweitzer said.
"Dinosaurs are relatively rare and we certainly think of Tyrannosaurus rex as being really rare -- although it really isn't -- so people tend not to want to cut holes into the bone or cut them in half," he said.

Another article here
Tissue Find Offers New Look Into Dinosaurs' Lives (Published 2005)

24dino.jpg

They're talking about Protein mapping. DNA molecules are unlikely to have survived but the proteins use DNA directly.

Regardless of the possible ramifications, If the process which allowed the soft material to exist for 70 million years can be identified, DNA discoveries may be just around the corner.

I'd like to go see a T-rex! Feed it! Pet it! Take it for a walk! I know a couple people I would introduce it to....Evil LoL!!!!!

yeah! after trying to feed it, the only thing you will be petting is it's intestines!

as for taking it for a walk, only if your name is godzilla!

Back