Talk About The Princess Bride, Book Club Book #1

Here is the official thread where you can now discuss The Princess Bride. If you came to this forum but are not done with the book you should not read on as the book will be spoiled for you...read at your own risk! :smiley:

Have fun everyone!

Kiki

:lol: thanks for putting this up, kiki. sorry i was so anxious about it. i just love this book so much. ^_^

reading it again, i'm still cracking up at all the same jokes. and some that i missed the first time!

okay, so let's start with this whole morgenstern/goldman thing. i already pmed vicki and kate about it, but i just want to let everyone else know. although it's important that you finish the book first. not that this "ruins" it, it'll just make you think about the book in a whole different light. ;) (i'm just going to copy and paste what i sent vicki and kate because i'm lazy like that :P)

okay, so here's the thing with goldman and morgenstern: they are one and the same. there is no morgenstern. or, rather, goldman IS morgenstern. goldman created the entire thing. morgenstern and florin are just as fictitious as vizzini and the cliffs of insanity. a lot of people think that morgenstern actually existed and i can definitely see why what with the way goldman writes about him. he even calls his own book "s. morgenstern's classic tale of true love and high adventure." and on the back of the 25th annniversary edition, there are even quotes from "critics" of the original morgenstern story. of course there is no original morgenstern story and these are just fake quotes, but it makes morgenstern seem that much more real. so this isn't really an abridgement - this IS the story.

i don't know if anyone's ever picked up on that the first time they've read the book. i certainly didn't. but if you did - kudos to you! :D

crazy spinster said:
:lol: thanks for putting this up, kiki. sorry i was so anxious about it. i just love this book so much. ^_^

reading it again, i'm still cracking up at all the same jokes. and some that i missed the first time!

okay, so let's start with this whole morgenstern/goldman thing. i already pmed vicki and kate about it, but i just want to let everyone else know. although it's important that you finish the book first. not that this "ruins" it, it'll just make you think about the book in a whole different light. ;) (i'm just going to copy and paste what i sent vicki and kate because i'm lazy like that :P)

okay, so here's the thing with goldman and morgenstern: they are one and the same. there is no morgenstern. or, rather, goldman IS morgenstern. goldman created the entire thing. morgenstern and florin are just as fictitious as vizzini and the cliffs of insanity. a lot of people think that morgenstern actually existed and i can definitely see why what with the way goldman writes about him. he even calls his own book "s. morgenstern's classic tale of true love and high adventure." and on the back of the 25th annniversary edition, there are even quotes from "critics" of the original morgenstern story. of course there is no original morgenstern story and these are just fake quotes, but it makes morgenstern seem that much more real. so this isn't really an abridgement - this IS the story.

i don't know if anyone's ever picked up on that the first time they've read the book. i certainly didn't. but if you did - kudos to you! :D
ohhh...how did you figure that out? i didnt notice that

I said it before, and I'll say it again: that morgensten/goldman thing was insanely genius. I had absolutely nooooo idea.

and then whyyyyyyyy did he have to write only the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby? whyyyyy????

*sniff* I KNOW they're going to live happily ever after, but still! I need some assurance that it's going to happen....

and also I just didn't want it to end. :D

ohhh...how did you figure that out? i didnt notice that

i really don't remember. i, personally, didn't figure it out on my own. but i can't remember if someone told me or if i read it somewhere else. like i told kate, maybe it was just too trauamatic for me when i first found out and i repressed it. :D

but yeah, it's craziness. crazy but hilarious. ;)

Well...I'm certainly picking up more here. Unfortunately, all of my library's branches only has the screenplay for it...so that's all I had the chance to read. 100 pages of the script for the movie...which upsets me greatly, b/c I have no way of reading anymore. But what I can say is that I found plenty of humor in the screenplay!

well, william goldman wrote the screenplay as well, so that explains a lot. ^_^

though it really sucks that all your library has is the screenplay. what's wrong with all these libraries?! :blink:

crazy spinster said:

wait wait now im confused

okay, basic bottom line: goldman wrote "the princess bride."

he didn't just abridge it. there is no morgenstern. he's as fake as rambaldi. ;) (and there are still people who think rambaldi existed too!) goldman just makes it seem as if morgenstern wrote "the princess bride" and that this book is just "the good parts version" that goldman abridged. but, in actuality, goldman came up with the whole darn thing himself. ;)

no, it's okay, it's hard to wrap your head around because then you think, "but wait a minute...WHAT?!?" yeah, i imagine my first reaction was something like that. :D

Back