Talk About The Princess Bride, Book Club Book #1

anyone who sees a film adaptation of a book should always read the book even if it's afterwards. because while the princess bride movie WAS great, it still didn't do the book justice because a movie can only tell so much, you know? i mean, you miss the whole morgenstern/goldman thing which is just the craziest thing ever. ;)

I have read the princess bride many times. Actually I saw the movie first and decided to read the book as well a few years ago. I love it. :woot: The movie is my favorite and the book is pretty damn close as well. It is amazing how close they are. Meaning the events that happen. Miracle Max is hilarious.

OMFI!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!!!!

I'm at the library and i found it... it's an abridged version though and i'm horribly confused... it's says:

"THe Princess Bride
S. Morgenstern's Classis Tale of True Love and High Adventure

The 'good parts' version

Abridged by WILLIAM GOLDMAN"

BUt I thought this books was written by William Goldman. :blink: And also... this is my first abrdged book... it's weeeeeeird... i mean there are parts typed in red which William Goldman is talking about why he crossed out this part... like the (this is before Europe) and (this is after Paris) and then he says but "How could that be? After europe... but before paris? HELLLLPPP"

Okay I'm done. I'm just really confused. :lol: S. Morgenstern is the author... but it's William Goldman?

I hope this is the right book :lol: The character's name is Buttercup... and the prince is humeprnick or some thing.... HELLLLPPPP MEEEEEHHHH

Ohh... so then this book ISN'T abriged... that's sort of funky. :lol: This Goldman guy must be really weird in the head then... :o_O:

So the stuff in RED is actually part of the story! RIGHT CHERRY? CHERRY!!! CHERRY!?!?? i can't continue on like this... i'm so incredibly normal campared to William Goldman :lol:

yes, the stuff in red is actually part of the story (although in my version, it's in italics). it might be easier if you think of it as a story within a story.

nance, you're like totally freaking out. it's kind of amusing. ^_^

i finished this last week and LOVED IT! i was very apprehensive about it because i remember seeing the movie when i was younger and i didnt really like it....i just remember the ROUS.....and being freaked out by them! :lol: and that the movie was very cheap..lol!!

but i read the book with an open mind and loved it! i couldnt stop laughing it was just brillant and the whole morgenstern/florinese/abridgement was just brillant and hilarous as well!!!

i loved the characters and all the things they went through it was just a great book!

Hehe i stayed up till 4 yesterday reading but i'm not quite down because i was also chatting with ally, bobo, and brian :lol:

but it's amazing... i reallly like the Westley :love:

mmm....westley. "as you wish." *sigh* :love:

and yes, the book is just laugh out loud hysterical.

one of my favorite parts that i just couldn't stop laughing at:

...and as the door closed behind them, two things happened:
(1) The door, quite clearly, locked.
(2) Out went the candles on the high walls.
"DON'T BE FRIGHTENED!" Inigo screamed.
"I'M NOT! I'M NOT!" Fezzik screamed right back. And then, above his heartbeat, he managed, "What are we going to do?"
"S-s-s-simple," said Inigo after a while.
"Are you frightened too?" asked Fezzik in the darkness.
"Not...remotely," Inigo said with great care. "And before, I meant to say 'easy'; I don't know how the 's-s-s-s-' got in there...."

:lol:

oh i love that part! and of course as you wish! :blush:

i also love the beginning where she is sitting in her room:
"it must be his teeth. the farmboy did have good teeth!" :lol: i couldnt stop laughing during this part from there till she goes up to Westley and pours her hear out then he slams the door on her! how sad but i was laughing hysterically!

and then in the fire swamp...this line was funny but it made me very upset with Buttercup but she is a blonde! :lol:
"well, because we're together, hand in hand, in love."
"oh yes, " Buttercup said. "i keep forgetting that."
Both her words and her tone were a trifle standoffish, something Westley surely would have noticed had not a R.O.U.S. attacked him from the tree branch.......

and i loved the fake out dreams where she strolled through the crowd and an old woman yelled at her saying she threw away true love! i was like YA! she is in love!
*also hilarous....after the dream fake outs, goldman inserted that morgernstern was a brillant man for inserting those and fooling us all that they were married! :lol: truly brillant indeed!

oh yeah, i was a bit annoyed with buttercup too because she was so airheady and bratty in the beginning but she got better towards the end. ^_^

the part that made me swoon:

I have stayed these years in my hovel because of you. I have taught myself languages because of you. I have made my body strong because I thought you might be pleased by a strong body. I have lived my life with only the prayer that some sudden dawn you might glance in my direction. I have not known a moment in years when the sight of you did not send my heart careening against my rib cage. I have not known a night when your visage did not accompany me to sleep. There has not been a morning when you did not flutter behind my waking eyelids....

le sigh... :love:

and the part after that that made me laugh:

That's all you need? Easy. I love you. Okay? Want it louder? I love you. Spell it out, should I? I ell-oh-vee-ee why-oh-you. Want it backward? You love I.

the part that made me like buttercup and redeemed her:

I'm getting much smarter as I age. I say you are a coward and you are; I think you hunt only to reassure yourself that you are not what you are: the weakest thing to ever walk the Earth. [Westley] will come for me and then we will be gone, and you will be helpless for all your hunting, because Westley and I are joined by the bond of love and you cannot track that, not with a thousand bloodhounds, and you cannot break it, not with a thousand swords.

i should just quote the entire book. there were so many good quotes in this book. ^_^

okay i'm not reading any of the stuff you guys wrote just YET because i'm not quite done...

but he dies. he dies. he dies. i'm freaking out here. this CAN'T BEEE.

WESTLEY IS DEAD... ::rips hair out::

::throws a plate at the wall::

NOOOO NOOOO NOOOOOO!!!! GOD FREAKKING DAMNIT... I HATE THE FRIGGIN PRINCE HUMPYOURSELF AND THE FREAKING COUNT... OMFI... die die die die die die...

okay sorry about that. ^_^

Back