Talk to me about... families

blur

Cadet
Guys, how much do we know about families?

Like, if I come up with a cool surname, backstory, etc... and I'm playing a human... is it pretty much the case that anyone who wants to be a part of that family has to be human, too? Or do the rules get bent? Or do we not know yet?

This seems to be the one area in which the family/guild/house system falls down... not everyone in a small group will, neccessarily, want to have characters who would, in reality, be from the same family. :confused:

All that's been said is that they will act as a "group" defined by last name. It doesn't have the same function as a guild, but rather a serious way to keep in touch with friends. IE, Family Restricted Chat, House Colors, ect.

The only real downside is you have to have a last name that everyone agree's on.

Right, I know all that.

My point was: not everyone in a small group will, neccessarily, want to have characters who would, in reality, be from the same family.

ie: How would a Human and a Ilvari and a Suwari all come to have the same surname?

ie: Will families have to be, to use an awful expression, "racially pure" to work?

I don't believe such restrictions will be in place. Humans, Suwari and Ilvari could possibly exist in the same family simply by adoption. Racially pure? Probably not, due to the above stated reason, as families adopt, they carry their surname with them when their children marry, on down the line.

Right; adoption could indeed be the answer!

Another thought that comes to mind, however, is what if the group was primarily human, but someone playing a Suwari wanted to join... but wanted to be the same age as the other players, wather than RPing their adoption by one of those players? Just tossing ideas around here.

OK, if you consider that point... I would say, you could accept them as an honorary member of your family. Sort of like servants or non-family members that have served your own family, or that would die along side you, for you and you would consider "blood brethren" for so long, they have become 'like a brother/sister' to your real family.

I can sense a whole storyline to create the scenario of a young man whose family was killed, but loved the family he served. He grew up alongside the families children and now being an adult, stands next to the current masters of the house his own once served, and stands next to them as an equal, likened to that of a blood brother. :smiley:

Also good for consideration is the fact that you don't need to be in a family to join a guild. That allows a bit more leeway for RPing.

Oh for sure... I just have a particular interest in families because I think I want to build a small, core group of people, before getting to the guild stage. Crawl before you can walk, and all that good stuff :smiley:

Back