Teens Get Online 'Eraser Button' With New California Law

Azhria Lilu

Captain
California teens get an online "eraser button" under a law signed by Gov. Jerry Brown on Monday.

The law makes California the first state to require websites to allow people younger than 18 to remove their own postings on that website, and to clearly inform minors how to do so.

"Kids and teens frequently self-reveal before they self-reflect," Jim Steyer, CEO of Common Sense Media, told The Huffington Post. "In today's digital age, mistakes can stay with and haunt kids for their entire life. This bill is a big step forward for privacy rights, especially since California has more tech companies than any other state."

The law is meant to help protect teens from bullying, embarrassment and harm to job and college applications from online posts they later regret.
New Law Gives Teens An Online 'Eraser Button'
So, instead of teaching these kids the responsibility of thinking before they speak, they're going with the "oh, it's okay say what you like, you can always delete it later" theory. Bravo.

Quick question. How on earth will they make sure this is implemented properly? All the websites need to do is have their hosting outside of California and they can do frack all about that "requirement".

Azhria Lilu

I was thinking the same thing before you got to this:

So, instead of teaching these kids the responsibility of thinking before they speak, they're going with the "oh, it's okay say what you like, you can always delete it later" theory. Bravo.

It's unbelievable that this is happening. You don't learn from your mistakes if you're taught that your mistakes can easily be undone!

Have there been any updates to this? I would love to see the implementation of the system, and how they're going to try and persuade websites that have their hosting elsewhere to abide by the system.

I fear for the day when this kind of system goes global. Imagine the next generation's "great" politicians and debaters.. "OH felgercarb, people didn't like this. Better click this red X and remove it off of the internet!"

Back