Tell us about your rig...if you dare!

Nnem said:
have put vista on our lappys and have had a TERRIBLE time trying to develop in Visual Studio :(

Quoting you a second time. :smiley: Here is some info VS and Vista

FAQ: Visual Studio and Windows Vista

Q: What products are supported?
A: We are supporting Visual Basic 6.0, Visual FoxPro 9.0 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 with Vista Support Update applied.

Q: What products aren't supported?
A: Except for the 3 products above, Microsoft does not support Visual Studio 2003 or earlier.

Q: What guidance do you offer?
A: If you are currently using Visual Basic 6.0 you can continue to use it to create your applications. If you are using any other Microsoft development tool except Visual Studio 2005, we recommend that you upgrade to Visual Studio 2005. If you are using Visual Studio 2005 then we recommend that you install Service Pack 1 and the Vista Support Update.

Q: Can I run Visual Studio 2005 on Vista even if it is not supported?
A: While we do not block you from running any Microsoft development tool we only support Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 with the Vista Support Update. Running other Microsoft development tools will result in unexpected behavior.

Q: Is there any difference between Visual Studio 2005 RTM and Visual Studio 2005 SP1 on Vista?
A: No. The only change is a warning that Visual Studio 2005 should be run with elevated privileges on Windows Vista.

Q: When will the Vista Support Update be available?
A: We will be releasing the update after Service Pack 1 in the first quarter of 2007.

Q: By not supporting Visual Studio.NET 2003 on Windows Vista, aren't you forcing customers to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005?
A: We feel strongly that the new features available for developers on Windows Vista are best targeted using Visual Studio 2005. Windows Vista contains many significant advances, and Visual Studio 2005 is the best toolset for building applications that take advantage of those advances.
Examples of this type of support include:

* Enhanced C++ features for security and C++/CLI make it easier to develop applications that take advantage of managed and unmanaged code features in Windows Vista
* Support for the .NET Framework 2.0. (Windows Vista ships with .NET Framework 3.0 pre-installed. The .NET Framework 2.0 is a proper subset of the .NET Framework 3.0 and thus fully supported)
* Support for pre-releases and CTPs that are designed to provide support for Windows Vista development. Examples of these are found on the Visual Studio Futures Page.

Q: Why support Visual Basic 6 and not Visual Studio.NET 2003 on Windows Vista?
A: Visual Basic 6.0 is still being supported because that upgrade is more difficult. Microsoft is committed to making the developer experience on Windows Vista as simple and productive as building application on Windows XP is today. However, Visual Studio 2003 or earlier would require many changes that make that experience worse. Customers will find that upgrading to Visual Studio 2005 will not only improve their developer experience but make developing on Windows Vista easier.

Q: If Visual Studio .NET 2002 and 2003 won't be supported on Windows Vista, will my existing applications still work?
A: Yes. Only the development environments will not be supported. The .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 runtimes will still run on Windows Vista.

Q: What makes it so technically challenging to support Visual Studio.NET 2002 and Visual Studio .NET 2003 on Windows Vista?
A: As those of you who have tested your software on Windows Vista know, some of the changes in the operating system have a particular impact on developer tools given that most users run as an administrator on their local machine. We have made tremendous investments in Windows Vista to ensure backwards compatibility, but some of the system enhancements, such as User Access Control and changes to parts of the networking stack would require substantial work on Vista.

Q: Why are you only telling Visual Studio customers now of the support plans?
A: We are making developers aware of our support plans as a part of some of our larger announcements around Visual Studio 2005 SP1. We believe that making this information available prior to the release of Windows Vista gives developers sufficient time.

Q: Why are you encouraging developers to begin testing their applications on Windows Vista now if you still don't have tools that run on the operating system?
A: Early testing is critical to ensuring that developers are prepared for the impact the changes to the operating system may have on their applications. We are going through this process now with Visual Studio 2005. We are working to ensure that developers have the best possible experience working with Visual Studio 2005 on Windows Vista.

Q: Why didn't you include Windows Vista support in Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2005?
A: Delivering great product quality is something that we have always aimed for. We wanted to deliver the update to Visual Studio 2005 as soon as possible to our existing customers. We intend to deliver a Windows Vista Support Update in the first quarter of 2007.

Q: What if developers want to upgrade existing applications to run on Windows Vista?
A: We are committed to helping developers move their .NET Framework 1.1 code to the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0.
Q: What about applications built on the .NET Framework 2.0?
A: The .NET Framework 2.0 is a proper subset of the .NET Framework 3.0 so applications are fully compatible.

Yay!

Its about time that Visual Studio 2003 got flushed out. This means Ill never have to see it when I get a job (a decent job).

P.S. I use 2005

I am curious, has anyone invested in the PhysX card yet? How about that new accelerated (and unreasonably pricey) network board?

Would love to hear some insight on those.

Presto said:
I am curious, has anyone invested in the PhysX card yet? How about that new accelerated (and unreasonably pricey) network board?

Would love to hear some insight on those.

I haven't personally experienced either, but from what I've heard of the network board, it's a moderate leap in performance for a massive leap in price over the competition. One of those things where if you have more money than god, feel free to throw it around, but otherwise choosing something cheaper from the competition isn't going to be too much of a noticable difference.

Just a minor update, EVE Online is having a 14 trial and I decided to see if it supported 3 screens.

Turns out it does and looks very pleasing to the eye. At 3840x1024x32, I saw no flicker at all, though I am not sure yet how to show framerate.

I'm starting to feel the outdatedness of mine. :/

Athlon 64 3700+ san diego.
2gb OCZ platinium, PC 4000
eVGA 7800GT 512mb.
Sata2.
DFI Lanparty Expert motherboard.

I keep having to delete stuff to make room on my 250gb hd too. :( Oh well it's lasted like 2 years and I'll be able to just upgrade a few things instead of build a brand new one like i did last time.

Just put this system together 3 weeks ago:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 overclocked to 3600MHz @1.45v (50% overclock so far)
Motherboard: eVGA NF68 (680i chipset)
Video card: eVGA 8800GTX
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 6400C4D (Dominator)
PSU: OCZ 700 GameXtreme
HDD: 150GB Raptor
Cooling: Thermaltake SI-128

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Lots of good overclocking resources online that can answer such a question from a wider perspective too, Presto.

My "rig" is this metal box with stuff in it and when I press the shiny button on it, it turns on. Stuff just works and it makes sounds. Then I dance around it in a fire while dressed in warpaint singing to the sun god. O.o

Presto said:
Farwalker, curious about overclocking. How much does it raise the temp of your CPU?
Overclocking has raised my Load/max temperature from 45C (stock) to 60C.

I believe that it is considered safe to run this CPU up 70C.

Farwalker said:
Overclocking has raised my Load/max temperature from 45C (stock) to 60C.

I believe that it is considered safe to run this CPU up 70C.

Ya everything I've read puts it at about 70c as the max recommended temp. But are you liquid cooling it atm or just using fans?

I think I'll start overclocking mine now that I put a new liquid cooling system in it to see how well it can keep the temp down. Atm I have it set to cool it to about 30C so I have some room to work with.

I have just enough knowledge of what's inside of my computer to be dangerous. I know a fair amount but not enough to really do what I might want to and that results in large amounts of unfulfilled longing.

If something in my case has a problem, I pretty much know how to diagnose what went wrong and replace it/upgrade it. But once you go into the world of overclocking and squeezing out the most performance from a machine, or building an entirely new machine, I'm out of my depth. I get rather intimidated by the sheer quantity of choices and compatabilities (or in-combatabilities) out there. "Oh no- you don't want the AEIOU100X you want the AEIOU100Y!" I'd say I'm only conversationally fluent in techie, not fully educated in it.

Back