Sci-Fi Tenet (2020)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Tenet

Tagline: Time runs out.

Genre: Action, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Kenneth Branagh, Dimple Kapadia, Himesh Patel, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Caine, Clémence Poésy, Martin Donovan, Andrew Howard, Yuri Kolokolnikov, Mark Krenik, Anthony Molinari, Rich Ceraulo Ko, Denzil Smith, Jonathan Camp, Julia-Maria Arnolds, Laurie Shepherd, Wes Chatham, Fiona Dourif, Kenneth Wolf Andersen Haugen, Marcel Sabat, Marek Angelstok, Klaus Peeter Rüütli, Daniel Olesk, Bern Collaço, Ingrid Margus, Carina Velva, Glenn Lawrence, Katie McCabe, Ronald Pelin, Schezaad Ausman, Anterro Ahonen, Aleksei Podlesnov, Lisa Marie, Trent Buxton, Jess Weber, Jeremy Theobald, Jefferson Hall, Tom Nolan, Adam Cropper, Josh Stewart, Juhan Ulfsak, Jan Uuspõld, Tony Christian, Jack Cutmore-Scott, Kaspar Velberg, Sergo Vares, Rain Tolk, Henrik Kalmet, Sean Avery, John Orantes, Seb Carrington, Matthew Marsden

Release: 2020-08-22

Runtime: 150

Plot: Armed with only one word - Tenet - and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.
Tenet (2020)

Tenet (2020)​

PG-13 | 2h 30min | Action, Sci-Fi | 3 September 2020 (USA)

Armed with only one word, Tenet, and fighting for the survival of the entire world, a Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.

I actually thought this film was over-hyped. Most of the video effects were simplistic. The basic story is "oh so common". Protect the world, save the woman, super-spy.

Time path is the focus in this fantasy. I found many problems with the premise and display of time running in reverse. The 'special effect' was merely running the film backwards.
The science fiction idea was sloppy and simplistic with no consideration of physics or duration, let alone cause & effect in a chaotic Universe.
The biggest SNAFU in my opinion was the 'doorway' between the dimensions. On one side, you had normal time and on the other side you had reverse time.
If this could happen (and it couldn't) the person using the doorway would be stuck inside the chamber forever. Kinda like being stuck on the head of a pin.
In the reversed Universe/dimension, entering the chamber is the final act. In the forward normal Universe/dimension, entering the chamber is the final act.
The two timelines converge at that point. In the center of the switch, the two "persons" become one. That 'one' person consisting of both would create a new reality which does not exist. The "One" would be forever stuck going forward and backward from that point in time. Essentially, canceling each other's action out.

Then, you have simultaneous groups of the same people in the same Universe/dimension moving in forward direction. Identified by colored ribbons and masks for breathing. This makes the final conflict impossible. Plus, for the reversed group, anyone who dies would know they will die and would not participate. Plus, the reversed group would know the outcome of the battle before the actual battle is fought.

It results in a confusing and messy movie which can give any thinking person a headache.

On IMDb it currently has a 7.6 out of 10 star rating with 212,990 votes.
Personally I rate it a (low)5 only because the actors did a decent job.
I like complex scifi but only when it makes scientific sense.
You know, the Science in Science Fiction.
This is what I consider high fantasy, nothing more.