Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Terminator 4...It's Gonna Suck!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SciFiFanboy, Apr 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. SciFiFanboy

SciFiFanboy Scout

Thanks to the recent success of the Terminator turned television series: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, fanboys everywhere are creaming for another installment of the Sci-Fi epic, The Terminator. As we have come to expect from Hollywood, the possibility of profit, despite the likelihood of a lackluster product, will always trump the urge to leave a classic well enough alone.

The speculated storyline places John Conner, played by Christian Bale, as the protagonist leading humanity in a war for survival against the artificial intelligence (Skynet) that has recently destroyed most of humanity in a nuclear holocaust.

It is my point of view that this is a story that should be left to the speculation only a few friends and a few drinks can create. My cynical nature expects this movie to be hugely successful. However, I also believe that like Terminator 3, this movie will not compare in quality or scope to the first two films (T1 & T2). Maybe, it’s the lack of James Cameron at the helm, or the fact that even Arnold will be able to avoid this probable let down, but I cannot help feeling as if this is a blatant commercial grasp by a Hollywood that is cannibalizing itself.

Let me know what you think.
    www.scififanboy.com

2. Gronicus

Gronicus Ensign

You're probably right that it will suck. But we were lucky to get the second Terminator with as good a quality as it had. When I think of how the movies started as practically "carnival" amusements it's amazing how far the "art/industry" has come. We've been lucky to get the great films that have come down the pike. I realize how many layers of my being are made up from the movies and books I've seen and read. I was lucky too to have been around during the time of Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, Bertolucci, Kurosowa and others, when their films were on the screens. Wow! What a feast. And so it goes.

3. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Just found this tidbit:

Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins has started production in the New Mexico deserts, with Christian Bale and Sam Worthington on board to star in the film as John Connor and Marcus Wright, respectively. The movie website is currently a blank page, but there's a strong possibility it will launch sometime tomorrow. (So keep refreshing, fanboys!) Directed by McG, the man responsible for the cultural institution known as The O.C., Terminator Salvation will be set in 2018 where John Connor is fighting Skynet to ensure the future he's destined for. More »

4. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Came across a tidbit this week that Bale is already signed on for three Terminator pics! :eek:

Considering the success of Bale in the Batman pics you know his price tag isn't exactly cheap so the producers of T:Salvation must be really putting some faith into it.

{PS: Yes, I know... the phrase "pics" instead of "movies" might confuse some of the youts' out there. Just think what they'd do if I started using the full phrase of "picture show" instead! "Hey, did you see that new Terminator picture show?" :ROFLMAO: }

5. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

Well you could also refer to them as 'Talkies"

6. Kevin

I've got a few nickels, we're good to go! :D

7. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

I'm seeing Christian Bale casted for John Connor, a split with Arnie, new technologies for creating effects and modern cinematography and thinking, honestly, this could be rather good!

Of course, it depends on a few things now. The script, the acting, the direction, the fact it is going to be a three film run.

Anyone else think it is amusing that it is almost at the point where technically, it could almost be like filming futuristic scifi in the past! I'm sure we are fast approaching the original dates in the original film series where the events occurred.

and why oh why must the worlds military still launch satellite systems with teh same name as a massive media baddie?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6434773.stm#

you'd think they wouldn't want to jinx themselves!

8. recall

recall Captain

I don't know why it couldn't be good. Some others like Babylon 5 had (I consider) excellent "spin-off" TV movies, but then they had a pretty good show to start with.

This is the reverse, a good movie series, then a TV show (which I missed for "can't remember" reasons)(Did I miss something?).

Is this typical Hollywood...ring it out for every penny, or will they enlist talent (in writing), invest money (in special effects), and possibly above all, keep children & animals out of it.

I wont condemn it until I see it, and if it stinks, I'll hurl the First tomato !;)

(the newest version of) Andromeda Strain looks like it may be good??

SkyNet ? name recognition...it eases the pain of using your money to pay for something that you'll have to pay to use, which is not much better than what you use now. Somehow it make it sound "happy" & "familiar", to distract you from the helplessness and sorrow.

9. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

I watched the Andromeda Strain mini series. It was quite passable actually. A modernised version, but definitely worth the watch anyhow. The way they detailed the virus and its ending was quite upto date and I like that change.

10. Kevin

Tim, Andromeda Strain has already aired in the UK or did you find a copy on the net?

It's not even starting to air here in the states until 9:00 PM tonight (about another hour to go).

11. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

er, I really don't remember how I came to be watching it! It came out on dvd about the 16th May actually and had aired about the end of April somewhere. But I had you guys in thought when I brought it up. Hence why I didn't give away the plot details!

and back to Terminator : Salvation, Warner Bro's has put up an official blog for it :

http://rss.warnerbros.com/terminatorsalvation/