terraforming

pivoo

Cadet
for those people who dont know what terraforming is, it is changing an atmosphere, tempurature, and such to make a planet habitable for humans.

this forum is to pick which planet you choose, also try to put down the challenges and how they will be faced

now here are some planets and moons that you can pick from
mercury- problems way to hot, not a big enough atmophere, out of habitable zone
venus- to high of atmophere pressure, no megnetophere, in habitable zone
the moon- cant hold an amophere, no megnetosphere, in habitable zone
mars- small atmophere, small megnetophere, in habitable zone
titan- thick atmophere, no megnetic field, cold, out of habitable zone, possibly volcanicly active
europa-no atmophere, lotsa water, cold, volcanicly active, out of habitable zone

any other places you want you will have to reasearch them youself.

update: you dont have to do complete planet terraforming,
you could use a dome, or such, just try with this to be creative

Personally I would try for Mars or Europa. On Mars the effort would have to be focused under domes as the magnetosphere is too weak to shield the radiation and retain much of an atmosphere. It is also very cold because of the thin atmosphere.

By utilising a combination of below ground and above ground structures, water and plant life could be retained and developed. Industrial activity could be carried on below ground with some living accommodation located at the surface or just beneath it. Cultivatable land will, in the early phases be at a premium so the subsurface areas will offer the best option for living space, commerce and industry.

Humanity needs a certain amount of exposure to sunlight and UV. Recreation spaces would need to be developed to allow this.

The temperatures on Europa would present a challenge and so would the radiation from Jupiter. Utilising the geothermal activity could provide both heating and power generation, which would enable further development - once again a combination of surface and subsurface structures would be needed.

I vote for the moon, simply because its nearest, therefore easier to get to and transport things there. Again you would have to build modules/domes to live in and there would be problems like water and growing food - is there water on the moon?
hmmm...

I vote for the moon, simply because its nearest, therefore easier to get to and transport things there. Again you would have to build modules/domes to live in and there would be problems like water and growing food - is there water on the moon?
hmmm...

yes there is actully be water ice at the poles on the moon, although, it is where it is practacly absolute zero. in the polar craters, if it was the places where humans would be warm would also turn the water turned into hydrogen and oxygen.

Personally I would try for Mars or Europa. On Mars the effort would have to be focused under domes as the magnetosphere is too weak to shield the radiation and retain much of an atmosphere. It is also very cold because of the thin atmosphere.

By utilising a combination of below ground and above ground structures, water and plant life could be retained and developed. Industrial activity could be carried on below ground with some living accommodation located at the surface or just beneath it. Cultivatable land will, in the early phases be at a premium so the subsurface areas will offer the best option for living space, commerce and industry.

Humanity needs a certain amount of exposure to sunlight and UV. Recreation spaces would need to be developed to allow this.

The temperatures on Europa would present a challenge and so would the radiation from Jupiter. Utilising the geothermal activity could provide both heating and power generation, which would enable further development - once again a combination of surface and subsurface structures would be needed.

hmmm...

Good points both.......my only suggestion would be to use the Moon as a first location for terraforming before going to Mars or anywhere else. That way any problems encountered could be dealt with before attempting terraforming elsewhere.

for those people who dont know what terraforming is, it is changing an atmosphere, tempurature, and such to make a planet habitable for humans.

this forum is to pick which planet you choose, also try to put down the challenges and how they will be faced

now here are some planets and moons that you can pick from
mercury- problems way to hot, not a big enough atmophere, out of habitable zone
venus- to high of atmophere pressure, no megnetophere, in habitable zone
the moon- cant hold an amophere, no megnetosphere, in habitable zone
mars- small atmophere, small megnetophere, in habitable zone
titan- thick atmophere, no megnetic field, cold, out of habitable zone, possibly volcanicly active
europa-no atmophere, lotsa water, cold, volcanicly active, out of habitable zone

any other places you want you will have to reasearch them youself.

update: you dont have to do complete planet terraforming,
you could use a dome, or such, just try with this to be creative

Funny, I just saw that Star Trek TNG episode in the first season entitled "Terraforming"

_ generally i think mars is-good for terraforming ! once issues like radiation and feasibilities for human-life there are met.. we should go ! also mars is good as an outstation for Man ! i think earth's moon is too-near. what about nuclear-war here on earth; and, a "rogue-world: on earth ??" in that event mars and planets further-away in the solar-system would be "more-suited" once those places have been "adapted _" [ _their: ISOLATION [in effect ..] "perfect !"]:smiley:

ok my turn,

first i wuold get a working moon base, a four chamber living facility would work to start, room one would use nuclear fusion to power the place, filters to resuse urine would be in this one room, another room would be the greenhouse, to grow food, a living space, and a science lab. once developed further, turn water and other molecules into hydrogen, to launch further into space,

for mars, i would go old fashion for power/ heating, burning ****. sulfer to be excact, because were trying to cause global warming, we could heat it dramaticly, once the atmosphere is there we add plants, simple mosses and trees, plus some geneticly modified plants, to resist, maybe feed on radiation, after a couple hundred years, we would be able to walk with nothing more than a mask, since we would want a major carbon dioxide atmosphere, to keep in heat. second i would put giant magnets miles away from eachither, to create a synthetic megnetosphere, plus many satilites orbiting with a strong magnetic field. of cource at first i would have underground bases of operations to begin with.

venus is tricky, i would create floating cities, floating on oxygen and hydrogen, using plants and chemical reactions to lessen the atmophir.

europa i would simply tunnel down through the ice to the sea floor to create a under water base

ok my turn,

first i wuold get a working moon base, a four chamber living facility would work to start, room one would use nuclear fusion to power the place, filters to resuse urine would be in this one room, another room would be the greenhouse, to grow food, a living space, and a science lab. once developed further, turn water and other molecules into hydrogen, to launch further into space,

for mars, i would go old fashion for power/ heating, burning ****. sulfer to be excact, because were trying to cause global warming, we could heat it dramaticly, once the atmosphere is there we add plants, simple mosses and trees, plus some geneticly modified plants, to resist, maybe feed on radiation, after a couple hundred years, we would be able to walk with nothing more than a mask, since we would want a major carbon dioxide atmosphere, to keep in heat. second i would put giant magnets miles away from eachither, to create a synthetic megnetosphere, plus many satilites orbiting with a strong magnetic field. of cource at first i would have underground bases of operations to begin with.

venus is tricky, i would create floating cities, floating on oxygen and hydrogen, using plants and chemical reactions to lessen the atmophir.

europa i would simply tunnel down through the ice to the sea floor to create a under water base

hi _. a concern i have .. is the use of nuclear power ! if u are on earth's moon say in a base pivoo, then there is a small possibility of mistakes and subsequent issues with the proliferation of the moon, not to say the earth's environment. your nuclear power as i understand it would be used to power the moonbase, but humans are prone to err. one mistake, and there would be a lot of problems there ! i see u have some good ideas, too ! creating Hydrogen & Water are positive steps towards survival. and independency.

my belief pivoo, is: there is no point transferring problems we face here on earth to "off-world !" the intelligent Race/Species ultimately will probably need to be good at Terraforming moons, satellites, asteroids etc ... so we [as a Race] "can continue...!"

my belief is, the task-ahead is gigantic ! there are so many pitfalls there, not to mention some cost to these things ! if you ever saw the movie with Arnie called "Total Recall" where former aliens had left a machine on Mars to do all the Terraforming for those that arrived later, well for me real Terraforming [.. planets etc] is about as-far from our own Civilisation, as that idea. i think Man will probably [.. in the next 50 yrs] find an exo-planet that suits our Race, so-much sooner ...

thxs pivoo _. i enjoyed reading your message. its given me some ideas. amenhotepi

ecs8sf14.jpg

Venus- In my mind this planet is not even an option, it's far to hot nearing 900f and the pressure is far too high.
Mars - I think this planet is overrated when it comes to terraform, distances and time it would take to get there would do damage to the human body persevering in zero gravity. The fact that the atmosphere is very thin and the amount of time it would take to build up an atmosphere wouldn't make this worthwhile. Plus the deadly ultraviolet rays getting through.
Europa- not an option in my opinion, Theory is it holds 3 times as much water as earth but i am sure this is yet to be confirmed. The main reason I would dismiss this planet is that it falls in the radioactive bands of jupiter, a human wouldn't survive more than a few hours fitted with lead suit in this environment. If one of the Galilean moons was a candidate I would choose Ganymede, it falls outside jupiters radiation belt, and is closer to earths gravity, plus it's got the added bonus of having it's own magnetosphere.
Titan - Too Cold, Too far, nothing I can see good from terraform titan apart from mining it for its lakes of methane.
Our Moon - would be my candidate, closer to earth, it falls into the Goldilocks zone (I know mars and Venus do but the distances are to vast) and I feel the moon is the obvious stepping stone to other planets, moons of the solar system. ;)

Venus- In my mind this planet is not even an option, it's far to hot nearing 900f and the pressure is far too high.
Mars - I think this planet is overrated when it comes to terraform, distances and time it would take to get there would do damage to the human body persevering in zero gravity. The fact that the atmosphere is very thin and the amount of time it would take to build up an atmosphere wouldn't make this worthwhile. Plus the deadly ultraviolet rays getting through.
Europa- not an option in my opinion, Theory is it holds 3 times as much water as earth but i am sure this is yet to be confirmed. The main reason I would dismiss this planet is that it falls in the radioactive bands of jupiter, a human wouldn't survive more than a few hours fitted with lead suit in this environment. If one of the Galilean moons was a candidate I would choose Ganymede, it falls outside jupiters radiation belt, and is closer to earths gravity, plus it's got the added bonus of having it's own magnetosphere.
Titan - Too Cold, Too far, nothing I can see good from terraform titan apart from mining it for its lakes of methane.
Our Moon - would be my candidate, closer to earth, it falls into the Goldilocks zone (I know mars and Venus do but the distances are to vast) and I feel the moon is the obvious stepping stone to other planets, moons of the solar system. ;)

i agree Shelley_c with everything u say about mars. well said. the problems are very real.

i wonder if like a planet like mars it would be possible to build like a nano shell to encompass the entire planet from an orbit distance, transparent to allow light in/out, and the purpose of the encompassing shell to eliminate most radiation. also the shell could be used to encompass an atmosphere for mars, beneath it. maybe allow a porthole somewhere in the shell for spacecraft etc as well. prehaps the shell could repair-itself where meteor and debris damaged-it. in time the shell could be thicked to so many/of metres. of course the obstacles from the micro to the macro are an enormous task, but it may be feasible... ALSO, [.. in this case] economics may factor in ....

well actully all of mars's atmospher is locked into the soil, get it hot enough, and some of it would come out, now mars has a carbon atmoshere, which is a good one for trapping heat, so when it would be replenished, humans could survive without much more than possibly a gas mask,(if we made oxygen)

plus, in time, we could possibly be able to go nearer to the manle, maybe even the core of a planet, which i say neuck it,just to create heat to get marses volcanoes working again, and possibly the megnetosphere.

plus, if you rotate, say a disk, in space, you could use syntrifical force to symulate gravity, and when there more of an atmophere, pressures would make it more earth like.

i wonder if like a planet like mars it would be possible to build like a nano shell to encompass the entire planet from an orbit distance, transparent to allow light in/out, and the purpose of the encompassing shell to eliminate most radiation. also the shell could be used to encompass an atmosphere for mars, beneath it. maybe allow a porthole somewhere in the shell for spacecraft etc as well. prehaps the shell could repair-itself where meteor and debris damaged-it. in time the shell could be thicked to so many/of metres. of course the obstacles from the micro to the macro are an enormous task, but it may be feasible... ALSO, [.. in this case] economics may factor in ....
you dont have to worry about costs,

also, diddnt they use a shell like thing in spaceballz

Back