Terry Brooks - Original Shannara Trilogy

I also highly recommend the Sword of Shannara trilogy. Ages ago I also played the game which was entertaining enough.

Since there have been a few posts about the steps of the hero's journey lately I can't pass this opportunity up. If you take a look at the characters and events of The Sword of Shannara, there is an intense parallel to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. That being said, it's still far from a copy and doesn't diminsh my opinion of the books one bit.

I've read all the Shannara books... they're all good. Don't let the dolts out there tell you it's a ripoff of Tolkien... *everything* is a ripoff of Tolkien to them. I love Terry Brooks and David Eddings. Though, I have not read any Terry Brooks novels that were not part of the Shannara series.

Tales are told and re-told over and over in many ways and each has their own merit. Some are not re-told more closely to the orginal than others.

And this "dolt" thinks he has a pretty good point. I didn't insult the book, I just claimed that it follows LOTR much more closely than many other similar stories.

Actually Gate, that wasn't aimed at you. It was actually aimed at my BF. I Didn't mean that toward anyone here at all.

You may have a point, but "the hero or heroes of a story that go on a quest to save the world" generic outline has been done many many times over, and that's how my BF thinks, and if that's the case, then you may as well wipe 50% or more of the books out of the Science Fiction/Fantasy shelves.

... and that is merely my opinion, which may or may not be shared by others ...

~ Jar

Navarre said:
Binks? *duck* How wude.

LOL... you caught that just as I did ;) My 'net connection is dying and I couldn't edit it fast enough... nothing like paying $135 for digital cable, internet and digital phone, and it all dying from 9pm to 9am :-|

yes, I have been called JarJar before... and I have a syndrome named after me... "Jaraeth's Syndrome" or "JarS" for short, which is due to my apparent affliction with misstells and excessive typo's. Blame my DAoC guildies hehe.

Mmm, sorry I shouldn't have taken offense. It was just that the comment came two posts after mine. Oof, I really need to lighten up sometimes. ::bonks noggin::

Jaraeth said:
LOL... you caught that just as I did ;) My 'net connection is dying and I couldn't edit it fast enough... nothing like paying $135 for digital cable, internet and digital phone, and it all dying from 9pm to 9am :-|

yes, I have been called JarJar before... and I have a syndrome named after me... "Jaraeth's Syndrome" or "JarS" for short, which is due to my apparent affliction with misstells and excessive typo's. Blame my DAoC guildies hehe.

Heh.. sorry, I couldn't resist. I deleted it, though, right after I saw you edited your post from 2 Jars down to just one. ;)

Navarre said:
These are probably my favourite 3 books of all time. I highly recommend them.

Terry Brooks:
The Sword of Shannara
The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara

I have read a bit of the Heritage series and Landover series as well. I do hope to get through all of his books eventually.

http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels/index.html

Yes those were GREAT books. I was dissappointed with a lot of the rest of the series though.

I liked the Shannara books but was never a fan of them, prefer guys like Feist. With Brooks I could never get away from teh belief that I would hate to be a supporting character in one his books (their mortality rate is really high).

"WatchrrMaker" sounds like "Watcher-Maker" which sounds like which sounds like "watch her make her" which sounds very... (Taking a completely G rated route with this one.) silly.

You are, of course, right. Now let me try to come up with something completely British...hmmm...Watchrrmakebiscutsandteaer

Back