That Summer

Four more chapters and the summer, this fic, Michael's happiness and her life will be over. I see a lot of angst coming.

Chris

Just four? -is sad-

Anyway, with that said, it makes me nervous about Syd...and how she's going to live/when she's going to die.

Yeah....anyway, I LOVE it. This story is absolutely adorable. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful job.

She was silent for a few moments before she burst out giggling. “You know what’s funny?” she asked; I grunted. “That your boxers are purple… I never imagined you with purple boxers.”

“And… how often were you imagining my boxers?” I asked, intrigued.

She giggled and looked up at me, “Well… the girls used to guess what kind of underwear the guys were wearing – in high school!” she added, almost as a defense, though there was no defense for that.

“Seriously?!” I gasped. She nodded with a laugh. “Who are these people and WHAT were they guessing?!”

“Dunno, just some of the girls. I never participated of course, but I listened. They had you pegged as black silk boxers typea guy,” she told me. My jaw crashed open and she laughed loudly.

“I soooo don’t own black silk boxers – that’s weird.”

“Mmm yeah but not as bad as poor Stewart Houser… they were all convinced he wore stained Spider-Man underoos,” she sighed. I laughed so hard that I nearly started choking. Poor kid, but the funny part was I could totally see that.

“This is such a bad game,” I laughed and cleared my throat.
I can really see girls in a small town having those type of conversations. I can picture the type of guy who would wear underoos. lol

Any guy in a thong is bad. That is a mental picture I don't need.

So, it's "bed" time again. They should do that as much as they can while they can.

I wrote something in my fic about Sydney offering a thong to Vaughn, but it was a Kings one :lol:
I'm sure you are going to kill Sydney by now, but it won't be at the end of the summer, it will be more likely some years later. I don't want this story to finish with a burial :cry:

I wrote something in my fic about Sydney offering a thong to Vaughn, but it was a Kings one :lol:
I'm sure you are going to kill Sydney by now, but it won't be at the end of the summer, it will be more likely some years later. I don't want this story to finish with a burial :cry:
i promise there will be no burial

Chapter 17
For the next few days, things progressed similarly for Sydney and I. On Saturday we ran to the home and garden store. I found a new shutter that matched the ones on my house and bought a tiny can of black paint to make it match completely while Sydney got more flowers. She spent a large part of the afternoon planting some of those flowers while I painted the shutter. On Sunday, we went for a long walk through town before I came home and finished my article.

By Tuesday we had fallen into an even pattern regarding our eating and sleeping activities. Meaning, we prepared ate and cleaned up every meal together and had even come up with a system for making the meals so that we didn’t keep bumping into each other in the less-than-spacious kitchen. In addition to being in-sync in the kitchen, we had to learned to be in-sync elsewhere as well.

As it turned out, my mama’s bed isn’t exactly conducive to two people sharing it. The mattress springs are old, I suppose, because by the second night I spent there they began to poke through, causing a very painful and unrestful sleep. We tried to turn the mattress over, but that didn’t work either. That actually made it worse, for we were unable to maintain our sides of the bed; we simply kept sinking to one side, which also wasn’t very comfortable.

In the end, I decided that if we were going to share a bed, we’d have to share the bed in my bedroom. I wasn’t sure if Sydney would go for this since my room is rather… well, let’s just say it really hasn’t changed all that much since I was ten (what do I care? It’s just a place to sleep). Surprisingly, though, she jumped on the idea – literally. She even moved her suitcases and things into my room, so she wouldn’t have to keep running back and forth across the hall. Whatever makes her happy, I suppose.

“Syd, you got a thingie,” I told her on Tuesday afternoon after I had retrieved my mail or, rather, our mail.

“A thingie?” she called back, sounding obviously confused.

“Yeah, a pick up your package ‘cause its too big for the mail slot thingie,” I told her.

“Ooo! I’m gonna go pick it up right now!!” she exclaimed. I laughed slightly at her child-like excitement over receiving something in the mail as I handed her the pick-up slip. She grabbed it and kissed my cheek before saying, “Back in a bit!” and rushing out the door.

She was gone about half an hour, which was the typical amount of time it took to reach the post office in the next town (we shared a zip code because we were, unfortunately, that small). When she returned, she was lugging a rather large box. “What’s that?!” I asked.

“Just some stuff from Chicago,” she said, placing the box down on the kitchen table. “Francie, this girl who lives next door to me and was probably like my best friend there, sent it to me. I called her Saturday and asked her to go into my place since she’s got a key and pick this stuff up, so she did.”

“I see,” I nodded. Then, I peered into the box when she opened it. It appeared to be a few personal items mixed with some CDs and then, at the very bottom was a large manila envelope. “What’s that?” I asked.

“My medical records. Just some x-rays, head scans and doctor’s notes and stuff,” she said with a casual shrug. Then, she pulled the folder out and held it in her hand for a moment, almost debating what to do with it. Then, she held it out to me and said, “You can see… if you wanna.”

Stupidly, I took it. I set it down on the table and pulled out what turned out to be a large sheet of x-ray type film, but really it was pictures of her brain. Of course, I have no medical degree, not even close, so I had absolutely no idea what I was looking at except that it appeared to be in the shape of a skull and, if I really strained, I could see what appeared to be the brain’s ‘grey matter’… I think.

“Here,” she said, taking it from me. She held it up to the light and pointed towards part of the film that had already been circled with a whiteish pencil. “See that – that’s my brainstem and that is the tumor,” she said while pointing with her index finger.

It appeared she could see this quite plainly (of course, a doctor had probably pointed it out and explained it to her). I, on the other hand, was having difficulty. I could almost make out the tiny vertebra that made up her neck and possibly her brainstem, but that was about it. It took a solid few minutes of staring at it until it all came into focus. I couldn’t for the life of me identify most of the things I was seeing, but the tumor was screaming obvious. It was a different color than the rest, and appeared to be a different density as well. Okay, really I had no idea what made it different, except for the fact that it was the thing killing the wonderful woman beside me.

“Kinda intense huh?” she said, laughing softly. I nodded, unable to form words, as I put the film I was holding back in the envelope. “Yeah, when I was first looking at these things I had no idea what the hell they were. Now I can see everything though. I guess that’s one nice thing about something medically wrong with you – you almost get a medical degree in it! If you pay attention of course,” she said, laughing softly.

“Yeah,” I managed. I was still having trouble grasping the concept of being able to see into Sydney’s brain (sort of, anyway).

“Anyway, I needed these things because I’m gonna go up to Birmingham next week and find a lawyer to write my will. I’ve got all my daddy’s things squared away now so I can take care of that. But enough about this – how about I make a cake? I’m in the mood for cake and I bought a mix to make up. You wanna help me with the frosting?”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, but really, I wasn’t all that hungry.

You know what intrigues and strikes me most? It's the fact that Syd seems to take everything so easily...

Since she's been with Michael she hasn't had on single breakdown? If I'd know that I'd die in a month or so, sure I'd try to keep up my spirit 'cause this what life is like, eventually we have to die some day...

But isn't she just mad that she would never be able to have children? especially now that she has a new romance with Michael? Plus is she not worried about her leaving him behind/alone???????? :angelic:

Back