That Summer

He was lucky that his degree allowed him to stay home and take care of his mother.
I hope eventually they got more modernized and had DSL or Cable-based internet instead of dial-up.

Can't wait to see what brought Sydney back to town.

Chapter 3
Like me, Sydney Bristow grew up with only one parent for most of her life. When we were both eight, her mama died suddenly, but I never knew why. For the rest of her time here she was raised by her father. I don’t remember much of Sydney before her mama’s death, mostly because I was in my ‘girls are icky’ phase of life at the time, but I always suspected her mama’s death was the reason for her quiet personality. It may not have been, I don’t know, it was simply my guess.

Like many of my other classmates, Sydney never returned to Liberty in the time since our graduation from high school. This surprised me more than it did for the other students, after all, she was all her father had and, as far as I could tell, they didn’t have a poor relationship. Then again, maybe they were just good at hiding it.

You see, in the south, another thing that ranked right up there with church going was the gossip mill. For example, if Sally kissed Robert on the way home from school, it was very likely that both Sally’s and Robert’s parents knew about the kiss even before their children arrived home. That was simply the way life was around here. Hardly anything happened without the entire town hearing about it, unless you were amazingly good at hiding it that was. For instance, I’m not sure that there was any gossip around the town about my daddy’s abuse. About his drinking, sure, but that was because he drank in public, but not about his abuse. Then again, maybe I just didn’t hear it because I was involved.

Anyway, I never heard anything poor about the relationship between Sydney and her father. Of course, I never heard much about them at all, except one rumor about Mr. Bristow having a fling with the pianist at Liberty Baptist, but I’m pretty sure that was just a rumor.

Something even stranger about this being Sydney’s first appearance in Liberty since ten summers ago was the fact that her father passed away not two months earlier; and she didn’t attend the funeral. This, as you might imagine, caused a major uproar in our fair town. Not attending the funeral of a parent was an unforgivable sin in the eyes of these people. Even if you hated your parent, you were still expected to be there, accepting condolences. Sydney didn’t show though, and for weeks afterward the town was abuzz about it. It had calmed down by then, but it was bound to strike up once more as soon as they realized she was back (which really would be in a matter of minutes).

Now, I’m not one to add to the gossip mill. I listen to what’s being said (it’s sort of hard not to) I rarely participate though. But, I have to admit, even this piqued my curiosity and had me wondering what exactly was the reason Sydney didn’t attend her father’s funeral. Surely, she must have had a good reason. After all, Sydney was such a sweet, good natured girl – it was easy to tell that even though she was quiet. It would be hard to imagine her as someone who would skip out on her own father’s funeral without a very good explanation.

So I stood there on Main Street, not twenty feet from Dobson’s Market, my mouth dangling open slightly, my eyes fixed upon her as she walked towards me. I must have been quite the sight to see because I noticed her brow furrowing at me. She stopped and pulled her sunglasses up off of her eyes and perched them atop her head. It was then I was able to see into the deep chocolate pools of her eyes for the first time; they were more beautiful than I remembered.

“Michael Vaughn?” she asked, a smile creeping across her face.

Now I should have responded to this, but I couldn’t, for something stunned me even more than her actual appearance in town. When she spoke, it was with a complete lack of southern drawl. Not even the tiniest speck or hint of accent was left; she sounded like a complete and total Yankee, one of them people who have never been south of the Mason-Dixon line in their life.

I stood there for a moment, making an utter fool of myself before finally croaking, “Y-Yeah, that’s me. It’s a pleasure to see you again Sydney.”

“Pleasure to see you too,” she smiled. “You still live around here?”

“Never moved actually; I still live in my mama’s house,” I told her.

“Oh, how is your mother?” she asked.

Mother - now there’s a foreign term to me. Sure, I knew what it meant, but I doubt I’d said that word in my life. “Actually, she passed away about eight months ago,” I said. Immediately, her face fell into that concerned, consoling one I’d seen all too often in these pass eight months. She told me how sorry she was and I gave my typical ‘thanks, but it’s okay,’ line.

“So where you livin’ now?” I asked, quickly changing the subject. I’d definitely received enough sympathy to last me a life time; I didn’t need anymore. I knew she’d be glad to give it, I just didn’t need it.

“Chicago,” she told me. I nodded, recalling that she was accepted to a college in that area after high school. She must have attended and never left. “Yeah, I’ve been staying up there with my job and all; been really busy.”

“What do you do?” I asked her.

“Investment banking,” she told me. Then, she briefed me in the financial aspects of her job, of which I understood nothing. Along with many other things, the stock market and investing had never been one of my strong suits. I simply smiled politely and nodded along with what she said, pretending like I understood a word of it, when really, she could have been talkin’ in a foreign language for all I comprehended.

“Sounds interesting,” I commended.

“It can be, yeah. Well, listen, I don’t want to hold you up or anything-”

“No, no it’s fine,” I assured her. Boy, she really had been in the north too long. No one in the south would apologize for stoppin’ you on the street to talk to you for an hour let alone the five minutes we had been gabbing.

“Oh, well, I’ve got some place to be in a few minutes, but… maybe we could get together later to, you know, reminisce or something?” she suggested with a smile.

“Absolutely,” I gave her a nod. Then, I told her that after I picked up my groceries at Dobson’s I’d be home for the rest of the day. This was the typical way of telling someone to just come over, but she, obviously influenced by the big city life for too long, asked for a specific time. I told her four o’clock and she agreed before flashing me a smile and going on her way.

Oh that smile, the one that made me go weak at the knees when I was fifteen years old, still had the same affect on me. I hurried off towards Dobson’s planning to get something special for Sydney along with my other needed items.

Big city(now anyways) girl Sydney and small town boy Michael, sounds interesting! Can't wait to see how their chat goes and find out what she is doing back in town. And I'm wondering too why she didn't go to her father's funeral.
Great update

Vaughn was always interested in Sydney, always intrigued. Now that she's back different than he knew her with all these unanswered questions... he can't help but be even more intrigued and going back to the young boy he use to be.

I hurried off towards Dobson’s planning to get something special for Sydney along with my other needed items

:D Me likes loves

I wonder what he's gonna get her???? :thinking: Hmm... chocolate? Flowers? some special cookies :woot:

Damn can't you just post the entire fic at once??????????? :angelic: I'm so curious it's killing me :P

Back