The 2004-2005 NHL season has been can....

ivand67

Sydney's Lover
Tomorrow, unless a miracle happens, either in the morning or in the afternoon, commisioner Gary Bettman is expected to finally call off the 2004-2005 NHL season. -_-

It will be a relief of some sorts and at the same time a very, very sad day for all of us hockey fans. Mario Lemieux, my hero and idol and the most talented player in hockey history (Gretzky said that once), was still hopeful on Saturday that the players would come through in one final attempt to salvage the game this year, but most of us think he was just being too hopeful.

My hopes finally disappeared on Friday. And this is currently posted at NHL.com:

At the request of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, representatives of the NHL and NHLPA met Sunday in Washington. After the meeting, NHL Exec. VP Bill Daly said, "No progress in the collective bargaining process resulted from the meeting. We have no further comment."

They met today - it was just a pure technicality and I'm sure everyone involved was very annoyed by that meeting, since they know it's all over.

Personally, I blame the NHLPA. The NHL has forever been trying to be like the NBA (they expanded to 30 teams, and they've been paying players a lot).

Gary Bettman is the big reason for that, but at least now he's been trying to fix those issues.

A salary cap IS needed in this league, and the players, in my opinion, are not in touch with the reality that hockey isn't nearly as popular as the other 3 major sports. Hell, golf was more popular than the NHL a few years ago.

A lot of them probably agree with the NHL but they just can't do anything about it. The NFL functions beautifully with a salary cap.

This is just horrible. :(

It's very sad. I'm a fan of Montreal Canadiens and i will not see them play this year. And it will be no Stanley Cup final (the best part of the season) in 2005. (n)

Players should stop acting like children and accept salary cap.

And there is too much teams in this league.

The unfortunate thing is that there might not be hockey next year either. The sides are still pretty far apart on coming to an agreement. Like I said, I would not be shocked if there was not a 2005-2006 season. It's too bad.

GarnerForEmmy said:
The unfortunate thing is that there might not be hockey next year either.  The sides are still pretty far apart on coming to an agreement.  Like I said, I would not be shocked if there was not a 2005-2006 season.  It's too bad.
[post="1213208"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree. As sad as that sounds, I wouldn't be shocked either if that occured.

Every time I drive by the Shark Tank, I get sad. :( That poor place isn't getting any action.

Yeah it's horrible guys. It didn't happen today, but finally, the NHL will cancel the season tomorrow. ESPN.com has the story.

And as for no hockey next year, I think the NHL might just start using replacement players, and we may see a lot of guys trying to play even though they're part of the NHLPA. I'm not too sure how that may work and the legal problems with that scenario, but I seriously doubt the NHL will want to have another lockout next year just to force the NHLPA to accept their salary cap - it's way too much of a financial loss for the business of the game.

Bettman will most likely declare an impasse and try to play the 2005-06 season with replacement players. Maybe they'll lockout the season and they'll play about 50 games next year, wait til January to start the season.

What a long offseason it's been... it seems the Lightning won the Cup about 2 years ago. At the very least it'll be 16 months without hockey, most likely more.

Ah, it was expected. (n) I gave up hope a couple of weeks ago.

I get depressed everytime I reach downtown of my city since that is where the Dome is located. I miss the Flames and the players that are in Europe.

And I guess if the NHL and NHLPA doesn't reach an agreement in time for the 2006 Olympics, there's a big change the NHL players won't play in it. :(

Well, now it's official, the 2004-2005 season has been cancelled...sob!!!!

Hugs to all my fellow fans :hug: . Have to admit that while I have missed it hugely, my blood pressure is happy that I don't spend a couple of minutes muttering of a morning once I see the Maple Leafs score (lol)

Wonder what this will mean for the future of the game?

🏒 :depressed:

I can't believe the last 48 hours!!!!!

I came in here Sunday night thinking the whole thing would be over on Monday, and Monday, the NHLPA agreed to a salary cap!

But the difference in money was still way too much. Bob Goodenow and the NHLPA, in my opinion, are to blame.

They never cared for the Levitt report, which told the story of the league's financial problems and carefully detailed them. The NHLPA never even sat down with Arthur Levitt and still doesn't understand what's going on.

I just sat through the whole Bettman press conference.

It's over. :(

We won't be seeing pro hockey at least til October... 🏒 :( :(

:banghead: :shocked: :stretcher: I'm really in shock!

I think hockey will be less popular because of the lock-out. People will go to see others sports.

What a mess!

I just wanted to say sorry to all the Hockey fans. I can only imagine how it must feel to miss an entire season. I remember wanting to cry in 1994 when they cancelled the rest of the MLB season :(

It'll be interesting to see if this leads to a scaling back of the league (some say the recent expansion has been too great), with the game only remaining in it's 'strongholds' so to speak, namely in Canada and the northern US.

Personally I don't have an opinion on that, though I can see why it may be a good thing (less players and maybe an increase in the quality, though the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive!) I'm just hoping that the whole thing does get sorted out coz I don't want to go through another year like this one.

Hey!! The Hockey season might not be dead! From what I heard, they might bring back a short season, something like 27 games with a 16 team playoffs. I'm praying this is true!!

Here's an article on the story:
HOCKEY STORY

I'm pretty sure it isn't going to happen. The two sides did meet again yesterday but at the end, they were no where near an agreement. There was not another meeting scheduled either. Let's just face it guys, there probably isn't going to be hockey for awhile.

Back