The 47th Piece

V

verdantheart

At last I'm ready to start posting this story! I hope you like it! I'm restarting from the beginning (the preview is not at the start).
;)

Disclaimers for "The 47th Piece," a short story based on the series, Alias.

1. Alias and its characters are belong to JJ Abrams, Touchstone, and ABC.

2. If any ideas in this story seem to be "borrowed" from other fic, it is purely a coincidence. I read almost no fan fic.

3. I claim no rights to events depicted in this story; however, please do not reprint this story verbatim without permission. (PM me if interested)

4. In keeping with Alias tradition, this story includes songs. Credits to be posted.
  • "Runaway Train," Soul Asylum, © 1992
  • "Song to No One," Jeff Buckley, © 2002
5. This story reflects one possible view of the character of Irina (and I'm not sure I subscribe to it). Other interpretations are possible. (No kidding!)

6. This story contains a great deal of speculation. This is not my prediction (!) of what happened. I expect it will turn out to be different from this.

For other fic, see the Column listing in my sig.

Jack sat in the uncomfortable chair in the bank and waited. He was pretty sure what his answer would be, but he waited anyway. Why do I even try? he asked himself.

Banks used to be ostentatious, Jack thought, in keeping with the idea that they were prosperous and staid bastions of society. Now they looked like the flimsy, spare street-corner outlets that they were. They processed their customers much like the cash that passed through their hands: like commodities.

Finally, the clerk returned. “Mr Bristow, I’m sorry,” the young man said. “Especially after all the business you’ve given this institution over the years.” Jack wondered if his boss specially instructed him to say this. Jack knew Mr Stanton. I guess he didn’t want to deliver the news himself, Jack thought. Too unpleasant. You hate to see a successful relationship go south. “But you don’t have any collateral whatsoever. Your property is mortgaged to the hilt. There’s no equity left in it. All of your investments have been liquidated. Your credit report . . . well, Mr Bristow, you haven’t had a good record of paying your bills lately--after creating a remarkably clean record up ’til now, too. We cant, in good conscience, grant you this loan.”

“I understand,” Jack said simply, and got up.

The clerk seemed surprised, but extremely relieved. A very long time ago, Jack would have been tempted to laugh. Did the little pipsqueak really think that he was worth attacking? That action would only give momentary relief and cause him a great deal of inconvenience.

:throb: :throb: :throb:

Jack settled into Dr Barnett’s couch, but didn’t relax. It seemed like everyone was examining him lately--and not without a critical eye. He was beginning to get very tired of it. Even people who were better disposed toward him were starting to head the other direction when they saw him coming. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling.

Dr Barnett looked at Jack and said, “It’s been several months since Sydney Bristow has been presumed dead, Jack. The evidence was convincing. Don’t you think it’s time to let this go?”

“The evidence,” Jack said. He considered and looked her in the eye. “The CIA had evidence that my wife was alive and chose to withhold it from me, Dr Barnett.”

“Are you saying that you believe that the CIA manufactured the evidence to deceive you?”

“Not necessarily. However, the presumption of death in Sydney’s case was made primarily on a lack of evidence--the blood, her disappearance. Sydney failed to report in. There was evidence that she was taken. There was not, however, convincing evidence of her death.”

“You are her father, Jack. Can it be that you are simply refusing to believe the unpleasant possibility that she is, in fact, dead?”

“Doctor, I know Sydney. I know how resilient she is. I will not give up on my daughter until I know what happened for a fact. I’m not going to simply accept what I’m told. Besides. Even if she is dead, I owe it to her to bring . . . her home.”

“Even if you destroy your own life in the process.”

“Dr Barnett, Sydney didn’t create the circumstances of her birth. I’m responsible for that. I owe her this. To find her. One way or the other.”

“Are you sure this doesn’t have something to do with your former wife?”

“You mean the fact that I accepted her death only to discover that she was alive 20 years later? That was a separate experience. But it taught me that you have to have solid evidence. I refuse to make the same mistake again. Not with Sydney.”

“And you refuse to accept the opinion of experts here--”

“Experts. Excuse me, Dr Barnett, but are we talking about the same experts who assured me that my wife was dead? The same experts who told me that my fears regarding Irina Derevko’s danger to this country and my daughter’s welfare were unwarranted? I think I’d prefer to make my own assessment, if you don’t mind.”

Dr Barnett shifted a little in her chair. “Is this about your being right and the CIA being wrong?” she asked.

“No,” he said. “This is about my not giving up on my daughter.”

“There’s the other thing.”

“What’s that?” Jack asked, tired. He knew what subject she was going to broach.

“We need to talk about what happened in Mexico City.”

“I was fully debriefed.”

“You were violated, Jack. You haven’t been willing to talk about it with me since it happened. That tells me that we do have something to talk about.”

“It’s all in the debriefing,” Jack said simply, but then he leaned back, resigned. “Fine. Let’s talk about it. What do you want to know?”

“It says that Sloane removed your natural heart and implanted the Di Regno heart. How do you feel about that?”

“How do I feel? How am I supposed to feel? Angry? Special? Sloane had a purpose in doing that, a purpose related to the Rambaldi machine. It is what it is, Dr Barnett.”

“Doesn’t this change your feelings about Sloane?”

“I knew what he was.”

“And about yourself? Your heart is no longer your own, but now an artificial thing--and not one put there by your choice. It was put there by force. Frankly, it’s like rape.”

“Let’s not get melodramatic, Dr Barnett. No, it wasn’t my choice. It . . . feels . . . different, but I’m alive. If it weren’t for the fact that it beats differently from a normal heart I wouldn’t notice it very much at all.”

“During the briefing you said that when they were working on the Rambaldi machine they started it up for a period of time and you felt something. Could you describe that?”

“Why? It’s in the transcript.”

“Humor me.”

Jack sighed. “As I said, it felt as though I were somehow connected with the machine--that it had an effect on me--but it was just a feeling. I can’t be definite about anything, what the nature or purpose of it was, anything. It wasn’t a particularly pleasant experience.”

“And how did you feel about being part of this machine?”

Jack was becoming very irritated. “I felt like I was being probed interminably--put under a microscope for examination,” he said pointedly, looking her straight in the eyes. “Let’s talk about something else.”

“Fine. Look, Jack. You understand that this evaluation goes beyond our continuing sessions. There are problems with your performance, as well as--”

“Other factors that threaten my position at this agency. Drinking. A deteriorating financial condition. Not to mention the fact that I’m spending every bit of energy I can on chasing leads on Sydney instead of living my life here at the office. My security clearance is in danger of being revoked, isn’t it?”

“Frankly, yes. An agent in your position, Jack--you know that selling intel starts looking pretty attractive after a certain point.”

“Well, I can’t say I wasn’t expecting this,” Jack said.

“You’re not accepting help.”

“What help? I don’t see that I’m getting any. As far as the CIA’s concerned, Sydney’s dead.” With that, Jack got up and left Barnett’s office.

cool absolutely cool, but did jack get his heart removed, thing is when people write about jack they make him sound weak but hes the strongest character in the show, everyone else has weak points

verdantheart Posted on Aug 3 2003, 08:30 AM
“It says that Sloane removed your natural heart and implanted the Di Regno heart. How do you feel about that?”

Sacre merde! Now if I knew Russian, I'd finish this out in that language.

However, all my personal yipes! aside, wonderful--keep going. Nicely ended to keep everyone edgy waiting for the next part.
:cool:

Yes, I agree this is brilliant! And also something I had never thought about, replacing Jack's heart with the Di Regno heart. Very good! Please keep on going! :smiley:

Jack went to his favorite restaurant and allowed Mary Ann to seat him outside. He didn’t remember when he’d felt quite so tired--and he’d felt abysmally tired lately. When he’d ordered the usual, she’d smiled at him and said “Right away, Mr Bristow,” but her eyes seemed really sad.

Jack thought over the events of the day. It was no use trying to push them from his mind, not without help, anyway. Dr Barnett had to bring up the subject of his heart. She’d brought it up every session, just like clockwork, and every session, just like clockwork, Jack had resisted talking about it--until today. But talking about it hadn’t done a bit of good, had it? Just as he thought. He put a hand up to his chest and felt the strange feeling there. There was a sort of throb to it, but it wasn’t like a normal heartbeat.

And there was something else. The thing that he hadn’t told anyone. The time he was shot following up a lead on Sydney several weeks ago. Naturally he hadn’t any backup, no support, no help. He hadn’t even bothered to tell anyone where he was going. It wasn’t as though they cared anymore. His search was becoming a problem for everyone and he was becoming a problem for everyone. Much longer and everyone would look upon his departure with a great deal of relief, even Devlin. But on that particular self-assigned mission, he had been shot through the lung. He knew exactly what had happened. He’d been able to drag himself to a ravine and slid down for some distance.

He wasn’t sure exactly why they hadn’t followed, but he was pretty sure they left him for dead. He’d pretty much left himself for dead. With Sydney gone, seemingly unreachable, this lead as cold and dead as it looked like he’d soon be, he could feel the hope draining out of him along with his blood. Cold, sinking into the mud and rocks, choking on his own blood, more blood flowing and mixing with the stream at the bottom of the ravine, he’d waited for his lung to collapse and the strength to leave him completely as he bled out and went into shock.

But it didn’t happen. Hadn’t Marshall said something about Rambaldi’s manuscript? That the Di Regno heart--hell, the Bristow heart, now--was somehow associated with some kind of enhanced tissue regeneration? In any case, Jack had survived the incident and made it home. But he decided against briefing anyone about it. Why encourage them to make him their Guinea pig? He could just see Marshall’s eyes light up. And hear the whispering. There was already whispering enough.

But the experience didn’t encourage him any. As he watched Mary Ann return with his drink, he could only think that this heart was probably curing any cirrhosis he might have. It was probably ensuring that he lived a long, long, miserable life. Didn’t do anything for the hangovers, though. Too bad.

Mary Ann placed his drink before him and asked, almost hopefully, whether he’d like to order something to eat. “Maybe later,” he said, trying to sound reassuring. He looked at the amber fluid in his glass and wanted to down it at once, but forced himself to take only a sip. He knew everyone had noticed. Dr Barnett, Vaughn, Kendall, Dixon. No doubt even Marshall had noticed, not that he’d dare mention it. Without his daughter, Jack Bristow was beginning to come apart at the seams.

“Well, Jack,” said a familiar voice. “Ready to reconsider my offer yet?”

Jack closed his eyes for a moment. He really didn’t want this conversation today. He looked up. “I told you. I don’t want to become your partner.”

“Are you absolutely sure that you aren’t already?” Sloane asked.

“Because you put this object in my body? I suspect you did that because you didn’t have a lot of options.”

“You are right, there . . . and it wasn’t always easy, you know, Jack. Keeping you alive.” Sloane regarded Jack with a hint of respect. “You really did have me fooled in some ways. There were things . . . I would have followed up more closely . . . at SD-6 if I didn’t need to protect you. But, it was your treatment of Sydney that really had me fooled. I really thought that after Laura, you couldn’t handle it. You honestly had no interest in your daughter.” He leaned in close. “But now we know, don’t we Jack? How much she really means to you? Don’t we?”

Jack’s stomach clenched. “Leave my family out of this,” he said.

“Your family . . . is part of this,” he said simply. “I won’t stop looking, Jack. I love Sydney. She’s like a daughter to me.”

“You remember what I told you.”

“Jack, you’re falling apart. I have resources,” Sloane said, too close. “And you have resources, Jack. You can’t begin to understand the resources you possess. You can find Sydney right now. All you have to do is come with me. All you have to do is think about her and you’ll find her.”

“Rambaldi’s machine.”

“Right you are. What do you say? Are you coming with me? Or do you prefer to rot here?” Sloane lowered his voice to a whisper. “And let God-knows-what happen to Sydney? You can save her, Jack. I can help you save her.”

Jack downed the rest of the glass and just looked at Sloane. He didn’t have to say anything.

Yipes! :eek:
Very dicey. Suspenseful. Keep it going.
I'll be waiting for the next part. Thanks for posting so quickly. ^_^
And hurry up ...
BTW the other story you mentioned...do that as well.

:cool:

ohhh! this is fantastic!!! (y) (y) (y) i love it! your dialogue is especially wonderful. please please please keep going!!! :D :D :D could you please pm me when you update???? thanks!

47th Piece said:
Didn’t do anything for the hangovers, though. Too bad.

Well placed bit of raw humour! Totally awesome piece! Thanks for posting it so quick! Absolutely awesome stuff! I eagerly await the next one!

And I love your little throbbing hearts at the bottom of each piece!

AllTheBest said:
your dialogue is especially wonderful.
Glad you like it. Playing around with Alias has helped me practice dialog--but I kinda think this story will have a little too much in it . . . we'll see . . .

K. Ackles said:
And I love your little throbbing hearts at the bottom of each piece!
Those are supposed to represent little Di Regno hearts. :D
;)

Sydney regarded Dr Barnett with increasing impatience. “When are you going to give the OK for me to be field-rated?” she asked. “My father’s out there.”

“It was his choice to leave the CIA, Sydney.”

“Yeah. I’m sure the CIA showed a lot of loyalty to him. I’ve talked to Vaughn, Dixon. You were on the verge of canning him.”

“Not necessarily.”

“Right. Fine. Whatever you say,” Sydney said. “Right now I need to get out there. Dad only left to find me. If I can find him, he’ll come home.”

“You have no idea how things have changed. How he might have changed.”

“Why don’t you clue me in, then?”

“Did Vaughn or Dixon tell you about the Di Regno heart?”

“Yeah,” Sydney said, and her defiant mood slipping just a little bit.

“When Sloane had it implanted in your father, it had a tremendous effect on him--an effect that he wasn’t willing to discuss with me. It was a profoundly traumatic experience, which he was unwilling to deal with. I’m afraid that he might behave in an uncharacteristic manner. You would have to be prepared for that.”

“Doctor, my Dad and I aren’t exactly the best of friends, but he’s always been there for me when it really counted. I’m not going to turn my back on him because maybe he’s had a rough time of it. We’ve both had a rough time.”

“Which is a good reason for you to hold tight for a while and recover. We have no idea where you’ve been, Sydney. The cause of your amnesia could well be a result of psychological manipulation--but if it is, we haven’t been able to test it out yet--it’s very, very good. It would be better to wait.”

“But what is your objective evaluation? Aside from the amnesia?”

“Your mind is sound. I have to admit that you’re adapting amazingly well given the disorientation one might expect from an apparent 2-year displacement. You’ve kept up with all of the briefings as one might expect--better, in fact. Certain cognitive factors have, if anything, improved--but, as far as I’m concerned, that’s another reason for caution. That doesn’t just happen.”

“So? There’s no real reason to hold me back, is there?”

“I think there is.”

“Well, let’s see what Kendall thinks, shall we?” Sydney said, finally.

Kendall regarded Sydney carefully. “Dr Barnett has reservations about field-rating you, Agent Bristow,” he said.

“But she doesn’t have any objective evidence that I can’t handle myself.”

“The missing time . . . is a problem, Agent Bristow. But I won’t lie to you. We’re in trouble. We’ve lost a lot of agents. The world situation has deteriorated, and it’s due in large part to your father’s partnership with Arvin Sloane.” Kendall sighed. “There’s no one more suited to bringing your father in than you. Therefore, against my better judgment, I’m going to field-rate you. I’m partnering you with Dixon. That should give you some sense of familiarity in what must be a very unfamiliar situation. If you have any questions about anything, I want you to follow his lead.”

Sydney smiled, for the first time in what seemed like days. “Absolutely,” she said. “The sooner, the better. Do you have any leads on my d--Jack Bristow at all?”

“We’re about to start a briefing, Agent Bristow,” Kendall said. “This way.”

She looked at the villa through her scope. She was almost certain this was the location. It was stupid for her to expose herself this way, she knew--she should delegate this task. But she couldn’t resist. The opportunity was too tempting.

To be this close . . .

Maybe see him . . .

There he was--he looked so different, but it was unmistakable. He walked across the garden and took a seat on a bench looking out over the countryside. He looked ill, tired. The silver in his hair was now overcoming the dark strands. Even from this distance, his eyes seemed to hold a certain emptiness. It was heartbreaking to see him like that. She felt more defeated than ever.

It wasn’t supposed to turn out this way.

She wondered how she was going to secure a meeting with him. Sloane would have him watched at all times. He could escape their surveillance, of course, but he would have to be given reason to do so.

Jack almost smiled as he sidestepped his security detail. They had no idea how easy it was for him now. The way the machine worked made it difficult for Jack to hide things from Sloane, but for a fraction of a second they were held only within his mind before they were externalized by the machine.

Sloane couldn’t control that.

So if he acted, Jack could shut an image down before the machine could visualize it. He wasn’t sure that Sloane was aware that he could do that, but there wasn’t much Sloane could do about it. If Sloane sent one of his psyche men to go in after a vision that Jack clamped down on, he risked harming a precision instrument. Sloane probably thinks I’m slipping away to do just that, too, Jack thought, ironically. Harm my precision instrument with a little mind-altering alcohol.

But what he’d seen in the last couple of flashes he’d suppressed were a little more interesting than a drink at a bar. He’d also surreptitiously sent out a couple of emails that Sloane wasn’t aware of. It was nice to know he still had some skills, even with Sloane looking over his shoulder virtually around the clock.

His good friend.

His partner.

And even in the short time that he’d been with Sloane, Jack’s contributions had made the partnership unbelievably successful. He had located several Rambaldi artifacts for Sloane and a few of those had already been acquired and secured. Jack was able to combine information from Il Dire with game theory to refine probabilities for the success of various operational strategies so that mission efficiency was frighteningly high. The rate of growth of their enterprise was exponential. Sloane was ecstatic. Jack was glad it kept his mind off Sydney.

Jack slipped through a couple of buildings. He knew that the doors would be unlocked in just the right locations. He didn’t need a map. He dreamed things. Sometimes he almost seemed to be connected with the machine when it wasn’t even running. Maybe he was still processing information that he picked up subconsciously when the visions were pouring through him. But he wasn’t about to tell Sloane about it. Any card he could hold face down . . .

At last he spotted his destination, a little café he knew about, a secluded one with a nice, sunny courtyard in the back. He’d be able to sit back there without prying eyes staring at him for a few minutes--at least if you didn’t count the one pair of eyes.

Just as Irina was considering how to get a message through to Jack, she got a message from one of her outposts. Apparently they had received an anonymous email stating that Jack would appear alone at a certain café at a certain time. It was as though he knew . . .

After confirming that Jack was indeed alone, Irina observed from above and from a distance as he sat at a table in the courtyard and ordered a drink. She waited until he received it, watching as he arranged a rose in its little crystal vase on the crisp spring day. She sighed. Was she about to ruin this moment for him? A rare moment of freedom? Or would he--somehow--be happy to see her?

Quickly, silently, she trotted down the stairs, her shoes light and flexible. She looked carefully up and down the street before crossing it and moving down it towards the café. As she moved into the courtyard, an American tune started playing on the PA, and she wanted to turn back, it reminded her of Jack so much. But this was her chance.

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a blowtorch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
I promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

Jack received his drink from the waiter and exchanged a few words with him. He looked into the amber liquid for a long moment, then took a long, slow sip.

It seems no one can help me now,
I'm in too deep; there's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Of all the people in the world, there was only one that she dreaded approaching--only one that drew her irresistibly--and that was the man before her. The conflicting emotions she felt for him surged through her, but she forced them into a hidden recess inside her mind. Quietly, she sat next to him and said, “You drink too much, Jack.”

Can you help me remember how to smile?
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded?
Life's mystery seems so faded

He didn’t look up. “I’m an addict, Irina,” he said simply. “Do you know why alcoholics drink? Of course you do. It’s not because it makes them feel good. It’s because it numbs them.”

Finally, he lifted his eyes and looked into hers. Irina was horrified by what she saw there. She had seen depths of pain in them before that she had thought impossible for a human being to experience over such simple things as betrayal and loss, but she had never before seen anything like this alien, haunted expression. Il Dire, she thought, and her heart skipped a beat.

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just a-drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

“Don’t you like what you see?” Jack asked, noticing something in her expression. “Since you left so many years ago I haven’t been particularly popular, you know--I think people would even have described me as intimidating. But now . . . now people look at me and I can see it in their faces. They no longer fear me because I’m intimidating. They fear me because I’m frightening--because I’ve become some sort of freak of nature--or force of nature, as Sloane prefers to see it.”

“Jack--” Irina said, her eyes filling with tears. “Believe me, I never meant it to turn out this way.”

And everything seems cut and dried,
Day and night, earth and sky,
Somehow I just don't believe it

“Of course I believe you, Irina,” Jack said smoothly, taking another sip of his drink. “You meant to have Il Dire for yourself.” He frowned slightly and handed her his napkin. “Please. Spare me your tears. Aren’t we past that by now?

You know, when I first knew you I was left with my heart proverbially torn out. The last time I met you my heart was literally torn out. When you left the first time, you took Sydney from me emotionally. The second time, your actions took her from me altogether. You’ll forgive me if I really don’t want to dance. Why don’t you simply tell me what you want from me?”

“What if I came to help you?”

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughing at the rain
A little out of touch, a little insane
It's just easier than dealing with the pain

Jack almost smiled, sadly. “To help. Me.” He took another sip. “You came to me to spy on me for your country, Irina. You never told me what you were doing; I had to find that out for myself. When you returned, you came only for intelligence and Rambaldi artifacts.” He sighed. “I’m not saying that Sydney and I are meaningless to you, but all existing evidence suggests that we are a great deal less important to you than Rambaldi, power, knowledge, and control--Ah, here it is. Merci, Thomas,” he said. “I took the liberty of ordering for you, I hope you don’t mind. Vodka?”

“That’s not true. Everything in its time, Jack,” she said. “You know Sydney has surfaced?”

“Yes. Sloane’s reported on it to me,” Jack said, then a small, sour grimace passed over his face. “He’s rather disappointed in me for not predicting it for him.”

“You wouldn’t?”

“I have some control,” Jack said, simply. “She would have been in more danger if I sent someone for her.”

Runaway train, never coming back
Runaway train, tearing up the track
Runaway train, burning in my veins
I run away but it always seems the same

As the song reached its end, Jack’s hand tightened around his glass, but his eyes remained cold and steady. “Sydney’s in the CIA’s hands,” he said with a hint of satisfaction. “She’s much safer there. Before then, it was enough to know her life wasn’t in immediate danger. So what do you want? Your bargaining position isn’t strong--or you don’t want me to think it is . . . but Irina, I’m in a much better position to know . . . now . . .” and his eyes became shadowed.

“Very well, Jack. Why be Sloane’s partner? When you can partner with me?”

Jack stared at her. Finally an expression that was almost a smile, but was mostly extreme sadness crossed his face. “There are so many reasons,” he said.

“You know what Sloane is--” Irina began.

“He told me--he claims--everything he knows about Rambaldi. You can’t begin to claim that level of openness with me. Even when Sloane set me up as Emily’s potential kidnapper, he didn’t begin to manipulate me at the levels you have.”

“You think he’s told you everything,” Irina snorted.

“Not in the least,” Jack responded.

“Good. Has he told you the story of how he became Sydney’s godfather?”

Back