The 6-letter word we all hate

TephieD

Cadet
Cancer. I hate it. Today I found out that my dad was diagnosed with it. I'm scared. I'm not afraid that my dad is going to die because the doctors are optimistic that they can get rid of it. No, I am afraid because what if I get it when i'm older? This kind of thing scares me because I think I have a pretty good chance of getting it. My grandma had it, My grandpa's sister did, and now my dad. Thats my mom and my dad's side of the family meaning I have a very good chance of getting it. My grandma survived but my grandpa's sister did not. This is one of the many things that scares me about the future. I don't live with my dad and I only see him a few times a month if that, but it's still a shock. I'm not looking for pity i just wanted someone to listen. Respond if you have similar feelings or just to state your opinion.

Oh thats too bad! Don't worry, like soph said, the percentage is small! I hope your family is handling it well!

-Roxy

My parents are divorced but my mom still cares. They get long so it's not like they hate each other. They are fairly confident chemotherapy will get rid of it. I hope so.

im sorry. that must be really hard. i doubt you will get it, and there are so many people that survive it every year, your dad has a good chance of surviving. thats cool that your parents still care. my dada HATES my mom, and i dont think he would care if she was diagnosed. im sorry to hear that. god bless you and your family. youll get through this.

poor u! i hope it all works out! and that u don't have cancer!

well my dad had a heart prob and has a stomach full of gas! poor him! but not cancer! poor ur dad! i hope it all works out for the better and that u have many happy years with him!

Sorry to hear about this ... but if the doctors are optimistic, don't worry ... just show love and support and everything will be fine ...

All the Best ... ;)

I am so sorry. It will be okay. My mom and 3 of my aunts had cancer and my dad and grandma have diabetes. I think there is a small percentage of you getting it. I wish you and your family all the best. :wish:

:eek: i sowwyyyy i think i bout to cwy now. . .

just don't worry about it u said u MIGHT get it WHEN UR OLDER , long time from now so don't worry about it. u have a small %! even if u do(not sayin u will ) ur a survivor i should no i'm ur e ~ budie.
GOD BLESS UR FAMILY ! i wish i could send u flowers! :Phone:

i feel bad for u. my grandparents both died from cancer my grandma died 8 years ago and my grandpa died 2 years ago. every time some1 dies, i think about them. it's not easy 2 go through

awwww. sorry to hear that. but cancer really isn't inherited. there might be a small chance that your inherited gene might mutates later on, but the chance isn't really that big. hope you dad gets better :D
--Mandy :angelic:

awwww. sorry to hear that. but cancer really isn't inherited. there might be a small chance that your inherited gene might mutates later on, but the chance isn't really that big. hope you dad gets better

It depends on the type of cancer. But cancer is known to skip generations. Tephie... don't even think about getting it. You won't. I hope the best for your dad.

Breast cancer runs in my mom's side of the family. My mom's mom and sister have it, as does my mom's mom's sister and other various reletives, who I think have been not so lucky and died... the most recent one I think about 2 or 3 years ago. My mom has it too, but it was very easily treated. So my sister and I are keeping very close tabs and crossing our fingers.

Back