The Ashes!

Let's be honest here;

'86. Even if Maradona didn't handle the ball, they would've still beaten us. His second was the best goal ever by the way.

'98. There is no way we were cheated out of that. Beckham was a complete tit for doing what he did. Kicking out at another player is a sending off in my eyes...

'06. Rooney quite clearly stamped on Carvalho. Fair enough, had the ref done his job properly or if Rooney dived like Ronaldo and Co we would've got a free-kick before the stamping took place. But that's no excuse for what he did.

Lets say that he didn't handle the ball then we wouldn't have been trailing by 2-0 it would only 1-0 (I agree by the way, the second goal was just pure magical) There would have been more self belief in the team, they would have felt like they were still in with a chance, England went through a 5 minute spell where everything went wrong and went down 2-0 when it should have been 1-0. Linekar's goal was in the 80th minute, the game would have been wide open.

Yeah i agree, his actions were completely irrational, as a professional he should've known the consequences for kicking out at another player. Likewise, in my view i would've sent him off. My point though is, why do it when the game was levelled at 2-2?
The way i see it is, Beckham must've been annoyed at a referee's decision or maybe a previous challenge earlier in the match - I know someone who studies Sports Psychology, those are possibilities.

In 2006, the Portguese knew what Rooney's temperament was like (especially Ronaldo - being team-mates and all) he would've known only too well that if you push someone like Rooney so far, they're going to snap. Mind you, the refereeing at the World Cup was appaulling - the 3 yellow cards by Graham Poll :lol:

I think it's just too easy to say 'The only reason we lose is because we're cheated.'

Too many people I know use that excuse all the time. But the fact of the matter is, England are felgercarb. The whole World Cup this year they played felgercarb. Poor against Paraguay, struggled against T&T and scraped a draw with Sweden. We were poor against Ecaudor and the only person I feel sorry for is Hargreaves, because he was the only one giving it his all throughout the whole WC but against Portugal he was brilliant!

I think the only time England have been unlucky is when we lost to Portugal on penalties in Euro 2004. Sol Campbell done nothing wrong what-so-ever but the ref called a free-kick. Poor decision that cost us the game.

Yeah i think so too, but that is usually the case for in match for the team which loses, in the post-match interview the manager or players have got a lame excuse for defeat.

I didn't think we were that bad in last year's World Cup, but i do agree with you in the group stages against Paraguay we played poor and managed an unconvincing victory (but at the end of the day, its 3 points in the bag; which is what matters) I didn't think we struggled with Trinidad and Tobago i thought it was just a late showdown, i mean they are by no means the easiest team to beat and they showed it. With Sweden, they are one of the best teams in World, ranked somewhere in the top 20.
No doubt about it, hands down he did give 110% which i admired from Hargreaves, it was a shame there wasn't more of that in the rest of the team.

I can't remember that far back to Euro 2004 :lol:

I never forget. If someone asked me what I had for breakfast yesterday I wouldn't remember.

If they asked what England's results were in major tournaments I could answer them quick as...

:(

:lol: by the sound of what you said it would seem you live by Bill Shankly's famous quote “Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” Or it could be just my imagination.

FA Cup 3rd round this weekend (y) Brighton are going up to London to face West Ham, should be a good battle, lets hope the underdogs can pull off an upset. Who have you got Marshy?

Seriously, if Football didn't exist I think I'd just sit in a dark room all day.

We've got Chester in the cup. Chester lost to Bury in the last round but Bury fielded too many loan players or something so they got kicked out.

Chester should be an easy win. But saying that, we are Ipswich and we just had a brilliant result against Birmingham, so we'll probably lose.

:lol: ok i will take your word for it Marshy. If football didn't exist i would be watching the rugby or cricket.

I heard about that situation with Chester and Bury which i think is ridiculous. Anyway, you only managed a draw to Chester :lol: which is quite surprising. But i can't really talk, we lost 3-0 to West Ham (n)

Yeah. I listened tp the Town match on the radio, it sounded like we were fortunate to come away with a draw. We should beat 'em at our place though.

It's still good to be in the 4th round draw.

:lol: yeah i have faith that you should beat them at Portman Road. I missed all the highlights on Match of the day last night, fell asleep because i was so knackered from work.
In the Brighton match, even though we lost i think most of the players will learn from their experience against Premiership opposition, especially Alex Revell and Jake Robinson, they had quite good games. The youngsters in the back line had a terrible game (n)
But i can't blame them, Joel Lynch up against Carlos Tevez for 90 minutes; i don't think Tevez had even heard of him.

I agree he is a great player, its just because he's at one of the worst teams in the league, he doesn't get the service he needs to score goals. Tevez had a really good match against Brighton.
Wouldn't be surprised if Mascherano leaves West Ham in the transfer window.

I'd start the pair of 'em every game. I'd rather Tevez than Harewood, Teddy and Zamora any day of the week. (Although being a Brighton fan, you probably worship Bobby).

And I'd rather Mascherano over Bowyer and Reo-Coker.

It's mental to leave 'em out.

I would play both of them as well. To be honest i don't think Zamora will make much of a difference at West Ham, i think he's better off playing in the Championship. I would play Tevez and Harewood up front, when Dean Ashton comes back from injury i wonder what will happen. Most likely Tevez should have a nice comfy seat on the substitutes bench.

I heard Reo-Coker was on his way out of West Ham, mind you i think that was speculation. Personally i don't like Bowyer at all, especially after that attack on an Asian youth some 5 or 6 years ago whilst playing at Leeds.

Umm Guys err The Ashes? 5-0 I know it hurts and I know England are pretty much felgercarb at every sport right now I mean the last time Australia played you in football we won 3-1 so yeah you guys kinda suck!! But this is kinda the Ashes thread well it's over so you can use it now!!!

Have fun disscussing your woes!!

I like you ams4alias. :lol:

Let's get something straight though, I couldn't give a toss about cricket. It's a shite sport. But well done, I'm actually glad we lost because cricket will now not be mentioned for some time.

Oh, and let's face it. Your aussie team beat us 3-1 'cause we put out kids. ;)

I will agree that Cricket can be the most boring sport on Earth when it comes to watching a full match from start to finish. Actually i'm sure it will be, every time the Ashes is mentioned it will always be rubbed in our faces.

:lol: nice one Marshy

Back