The Automatic Detective

Quite possibly the best Science fiction I've read all Year, the Automatic Detective.

Everyone Read it! it's got action, aliens, and romance (sort of)

9780765318343.jpg

Even in Empire City, a town where weird science is the hope for tomorrow, it’s hard for a robot to make his way. It’s even harder for a robot named Mack Megaton, a hulking machine designed to bring mankind to its knees. But Mack’s not interested in world domination. He’s just a bot trying to get by, trying to demonstrate that he isn’t just an automated smashing machine, and to earn his citizenship in the process. It should be as easy as crushing a tank for Mack, but some bots just can’t catch a break.

When Mack’s neighbors are kidnapped, Mack sets off on a journey through the dark alleys and gleaming skyscrapers of Empire City. Along the way, he runs afoul of a talking gorilla, a brainy dame, a mutant lowlife, a little green mob boss, and the secret conspiracy at the heart of Empire’s founders---not to mention more trouble than he bargained for. What started out as one missing family becomes a battle for the future of Empire and every citizen that calls her home.

I see Tim appended some info'. :cool:

let's see.... A. Lee Martinez. The book itself is about a robot who becomes, well, a detective of sorts.
Do you watch anime? If so, be on the lookout for a series from a few years ago named The Big O. There was an episode arc where a series of events was taking place that dealt with violent attacks on the robotic residents of the city. Sent in to help investigate the crimes is a police detective who happens to be... a robot. In the end the robot detective learns more about humanity then perhaps his human counterparts.

... and, yes, I'll be keeping an eye out for The Automatic Detective on my next trip to the local book store. Is it part of a series or a stand-alone title?

I personally would hope that it becomes a series, but the author apparently doesn't like doing serial features. personally, I'd be happy if it became a series, i need more Megaton in my life.

Back