The Beauty of the Rain

Wow!

This is truly fantastic. The way you write is so beautiful. I love that we see the story through Sydney's eyes, that we are her, seeing her life as it unfolds.

I love how Vaughn was waiting in shadow for her, their little clandestine meeting at the Ops center. And the invitation to the Pier? Wow!

Please do continue this wonderful work soon!!! And if not too much trouble, can i get a PM when you update? I Can't wait to read more!

Ellie

He shrugs nonchalantly, as if he lurks in dark corners on a regular basis.
...while you would love to stay in that semi-lit passageway all day, just looking at him, it wouldn’t be practical.

Those two lines made me laugh :lol: But they are meeting at the pier :love: So cute. Can't wait for more!
And thanks for the pm.

But could you please add the link to the current chapter in the pm so it would be esyer to find?

Wow, I love this fic please tell me that there is more soon
the syd vaughn interaction is fablous, and the syd pov and thoughts
i think you did it perfectly. Its everything we wanted to hear in the show but
was only hinted at.
Wonderful, pm me when you update please.
E

*sighs*

How much would we all love to write like you, cause this is so great, and *trys to think of new word...* different and *sighn*

thank you.

And thank#s for the pm

You wait. Isn’t that what you always do for him? He moistens his lips, as if he’s nervous. Maybe he is. Some more silence. It occurs to you that Kendall is going to curious about the gap between when the “homeless” man – you’ll have to ask his name of these days – notified the office that you were coming in and when you actually showed up in the rotunda. “Vaughn,” you prompt him, letting him know that while you would love to stay in that semi-lit passageway all day, just looking at him, it wouldn’t be practical.

“Meet me. Tonight. 11 PM, the pier,” he says in a rush. You nod in agreement, almost stunned, and walk away from him.
:love: Aww... what a chapter!! It was great!! Great job of describing the uncertainty and determination of their relationship.

You have to update soon!!! I want to know what's going to happen at the pier!!! Great chapter. Thanks for the pm.

fantastic fic!
i love it!
Your writng is amazing and a joy to read, can i please get a pm so i can read more
:super: :D

I love this so much, I cant wait for the next update!
The way you portray (right word?) the people is so good.
Amazing.
Fantastic job!
Thanks for the PM.
-Ash

Grumble grumble. Real life sucks. Hopefully the next chapter won't take so freaking long to write.

Three

The pier. 11 PM.

In reality, it’s about 11:04. You’re running late. Dinner with Francie and Will, since you missed going out earlier in the week because you were busy stealing something in Sweden. Afterwards, they insisted on drinks at a bar. “Come on, Syd. You never go out with us,” Francie had said.

Will had added to the guilt. “You’re always working.” He knows what you really do, he knows you have to work. His blue eyes were twinkling at you, so he was just needling you because he could. Gee, thanks, Will. There was no way to say no. So you had one drink, sipping slowly, and then switched to soda. Francie and Will were too drunk to realize. You drove them home, where they promptly passed out – Francie in her room, Will on the couch. At least you didn’t have to lie to them to get out of the house.

You gunned the engine to your SUV for a few blocks, driving recklessly, before you realized that it would do you no good to get into a car accident. Vaughn would wait a few extra minutes. He knows how complicated your life can get. It’s his job to understand that. You slowed down, drove a little more carefully.

Check your watch. Only four minutes late. Not bad.

You’re walking towards the pier, having parked inconspicuously next to a group of cars. It’s a foggy night, making lights hazy. You feel as if you’re in London, not next to the Pacific Ocean. The fog lifts slightly and you see his silhouette leaning against the railing. As if he feels your stare, he turns his head toward you. Suppress the smile that tries to creep onto your face. Act cool, as if you two didn’t have an intimate moment in a dark hallway earlier today. “Hi,” you say, sounding breathless again, as if the walk from your car to the pier was strenuous. As if the sight of him doesn’t take your breath away.

“Hi,” he says back. Then silence. You lean against the railing and look out at the fog sitting on top of the ocean, hazy against the dark of the water.

The silence is almost unbearable for some reason. You grasp at loose straws, though you really would like to know why he asked to meet you here. “Weird weather we’ve been having lately.”

A nod from him as he gazes absently out into the ocean. A few more minutes of this strange silence, as thick as the fog, and you’re ready to grind your teeth in frustration. Why won’t he say anything? Why is it that you both seem to always be waiting for the other?

Clear your throat and say questioningly, quietly, keeping your voice even, “Vaughn?” Put a hand on his arm. Now he can’t ignore you.

He looks down at your hand on his arm. His brow is furrowed, which means he’s confused, conflicted, concerned, or angry. It’s starting to make you nervous. You, a double agent. Who faces Arvin Sloane on a daily basis.

Five seconds. You’ll give him five seconds to start talking, then walk away.

One… two… thr – “Syd,” he finally says.

Look expectantly at him, silently urging him on with your eyes. “Look, I don’t really know how to say this.” He’s shifting his weight nervously, swallowing once.

You’re instantly worried. Maybe it’s not what you thought at all. It’s your turn to furrow your eyebrows. “Vaughn, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he says instantly. He pauses, swallows. “Okay, I’m just going to say it.” Another pause. “I’ve always felt connected to you somehow, ever since you walked into the CIA with that clown hair. I don’t know how to explain it. But it’s changed my life.” He pauses again, then says more hesitantly. “I think you know where this is going, but saying it will change everything and maybe you don’t want that…”

Quickly say, “go on.” Your heart feels like it will beat its way up your throat. The fog surrounding both of you seems to come alive, swirling and dancing. Like magic.

He rubs his forehead, sighs. “Maybe you don’t feel the same way and I’m crossing a line.”

“Vaughn.” All you have to do is say his name to reassure that he’s not crossing any line that wasn’t meant to be crossed. A small smile plays its way onto your lips. You feel exactly the same way.

He smiles back, allowing the wrinkles in his forehead to relax. “I think you know,” he says, almost with wonder. As if he didn’t expect you to feel the same way. Which is ridiculous. You wouldn’t meet just anyone at the pier that late at night.

Nod slightly. You know.

You also know that he’s moving closer to you, almost unconsciously, and it’s just a matter of moments before your lips meet. A first kiss. The fog is ready to burst into droplets of water, a million colors under the streetlights.

Instead, a phone rings. His. He takes a sharp breath in, then takes the trilling cell phone out of his pocket. The name on the caller ID makes him sigh. He answers it. “Hi,” he says. Listens for a beat. “Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Another beat. “Okay. Bye.” He flips his phone shut and puts it back into his pocket. He gives you a wry smile. “Alice.”

Now it’s your turn to sigh. You’d almost forgotten about his girlfriend. A minute ago, you were three inches away from becoming the other woman. Some one you swore you never would become. Move away from him, look out at the ocean again.

“Syd.” He sounds afraid that he’s going to lose you. Turn your head, look at him. Smile a little sadly. “I should get going.”

He sighs again, rubs his forehead with his hand again. “I mean everything I said.” His eyes beg you to understand.

“I know. But I’m not going to be THAT woman.”

“What woman?”

“You know the one.” You’re ready to walk away, leave the scene of an almost crime. He takes your arm again. An endless cycle of the same gestures, the same words, the same disappointments.

“You aren’t,” he insists, giving you a meaningful look. Maybe the cycle is broken – no more disappointments. You smile at him again and walk back towards your car.

Grumble grumble. Real life sucks. Hopefully the next chapter won't take so freaking long to write.
'tis okay leah :hug: i know the feeling bout school :(

“You aren’t,” he insists, giving you a meaningful look. Maybe the cycle is broken – no more disappointments. You smile at him again and walk back towards your car.
ooooooooo i hope it is

great chap thanks for the PM

I will agree with Janet School stinks right now
so I suggest we all band together in the misery of 3 tests on the same
day and a 10 page paper due in a week.

And my preferred remedy for such occurrances is the following
1. Movie night with a comedy.
2. Lots of chocolate along the way.
my current chocolate munchie is my dad's chocolate chip pound cake
but if you can't get any of that Dove works too.

now on to the fic

ohhh my word
I love. But he's still with Alice.
sniffle on Syd's behalf.
well there has to be something to keep them from
cough. till SD-6 gets taken down

thanks for the pm and I cant wait for the next update.
E

Back