The Beer (and Wine) Thread

Re: The Beer Thread

Beer? Be-er? Is that anything like a beir? I don't understand what this strange thing you refer to is, nor why anyone would drink it.

Blech. Can't stand the stuff personally, really in any form. Give me hops-free alcohol or give me... uh, water?... lemonade?... tea? I guess?

I homebrew. And I don't mean that manky stuff uni students make that tastes like an old sock. I do proper homebrewing. I tend it carefully, and it's usually better than anything you can get even down at the pub. I have currently in my garage about 20 bottles of stout that actually tastes better than Guiness (and is stronger as well), 15 bottles of a sparkling cider so crisp it would make a strong man weep, 30 bottles of black irish ale which is not for the faint of heart or liver, and (brace yourselves) 86 bottles of various shiraz, merlots, lavender wines, sparkling rose wine, rhubarb wine, black berry wine, cherry wine, strawberry wine, elderflower wine, and a few others that have been sitting ageing for a while which I actually don't remember about until I go and look at the labels.

Now I'm aware in the US this would probably label me an alcoholic (because enjoying oneself is illegal or summat heh), but I'm a firm supporter of the bartering system, and very few things barter better than six bottles of Dutch lager and several bottles of fruit wines. Holidays, in trade of services rendered, to give to students to help them move my house or clear some brambles I've been cutting on my allotment. I don't make a whole lot of money in the writing/jewelry business, so bartering with organic vegetables or my homebrew works a treat, especially if there's something I need doing round the house that I can't do or I don't have time to get to. I am just careful to tell people my stuff is a lot stronger than any rubbish Carlsberg's they got down at the local SPAR.

Good stuff...

It makes me feel good to know that so many HJ-Staff members are binge drinkers. Makes me wonder what's goin on back at Simu HQ. :P

But also. I LOVE beer!!! It just makes me feel so wonderfully crappy!!! MMMMM!!!!!! Yeah! Vomiting, woo!!! And all those flavors! Let's see... You've got...PISS flavored! YEAH! Oh...and...BURNING PISS flavor!!!

*Chugs a carton of milk*

Wow, Trillian got some huge ass cool points just now. I absolutely love wine :smiley:

As for beer? Eh, don't really like it but I am quickly realising it is a lot cheaper than buying Barcadi and mixing all the time, or vodka, or tequila.. or any liquour for that matter. No wonder college kids drink it so much. Mostly I just like Dos Equis because it's Mexican and so am I (well, mostly) and sometimes a Youngling. I had a Guiness over NYE and it was alright, but I had also had shots of rum and vodka before I got to it so who really knows.

Oh and Barcadi Gold is amazing. So here's a recipe we found online, called the "Chilled Orgasm"

1 shot Barcadi Gold Rum
2 shots Irish Creme (Bailey's preferred)
Starbucks coffee icecream
Milk

Blend together and enjoy :smiley:

Lets just first off say, for legal reasons, that I taste my parents alchohol...but red wine is yummy and beer is not.

I honestly think most young folk's hatred of beer is because they haven't had good beer. Come on, Budwieser? Miller Light? Fosters, Australian for Wee? But then most hate coffee as well. If it's not loaded with sugar and tastes like lemonade, they just won't drink it. There was an advert here for Hobgoblin, holding out a glass of ale with the caption reading "What's the matter, lager-boy, afraid you might taste something?" I want that as a t-shirt.

Don't worry, laddies, you'll grow out of it!

I know it's a foreign concept in the states, but you can enjoy an alcoholic drink and it doesn't make you evil, alcoholic, or irresponsible. We save that for the footy, actually, but I digress.

There's good wine too, and then there's felgercarb wine. I certainly wouldn't introduce a novel wine-drinker to cabernet sauvignon, or any chardonnay that comes out of a box of a screw top lid. I like a decent flavour beer because I actually tend to grow sick of the taste of alcohol, and I don't drink to get wasted - I've never been drunk in my life. I reach a certain point and my mind says "Right, you're going to be sober now." Any bloke who ever attempted to ply me with alcohol to make me a better target usually ended up giving up when he ran out of money.

Actually, Trillian, my father and several of his friends homebrew. I've tasted a wide variety of their beers as well as numerous microbrews around the country. I've never even tasted any of the giant brewing companies' products, so finding "a good beer" is not the reason I don't like beer.

Now a good wine? That I can appreciate. Lately I've been exploring a variety of Australian wines with some rather interesting names. Let's see, "Yellowtail" was a pretty good one. "Woo Woo" was just too good a name to resist. It was ok. but I admit I bought it only for the name.
Overall, I tend to prefer merlots but like a good shiraz on occasion.

Red Stripe's the only pale ale worth drinking. Tho' Corona if nothing else is around.
Other than that. Oatmeal stout.

I think I'll change this to the 'beer & wine' thead :smiley:

Yes, if you drink wine from a box or beer from companies whose target audience salivates over Super Bowl half-time commercials, then I can see why you don't like the taste of either.

I posted about beer, but wine is my drug of choice. Really good wines don't have to be expensive, but you usually won't them at the 7-11 next to the srawberry ripple. I find a lot of good wines from Chile, Australia, and even Oregon. They tend to be less expensive than the Napa valley or Bordeaux regions, and you can find some great bargains on very highly rated wines.
World Market has a great selection, if they have the store in your area.
I get a lot of wines from Costco too.

My fave wine list:
89' Clos Du Bois - Marlstone (Meritage Red) Yummy!
90-92 Opus One

Other consistently good brands I like:
Ferrari-Carano
Stags Leap
Frog's Leap
(I like things that leap :smiley: )
Wild Horse
Rex Hill
Oh.. nm.. there are too many to name.

Lindeman's Bin 65 is a consistently good, inexpensive Chardonnay
that I love to drink during the summer.

I usually drink Red wines, though.
Cab!!, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Shiraz, Zin, Meritage, Sangioviese, Petite Sirah, Malbec...

I do dessert wines once in awhile, too.
De Loach - Late Harvest Gewürztraminer - yum.

No Ports or fortified for me.

No, I don't have a stockpile of Chateau Margaux or Lafite Rothschild. For shame. :D

I rarely drink at all.

Ocassionally on a hot summer day after some hard work outside a good beer with a heafty burger is a pretty good treat though.

Michelob Dark.

Its got a nice thick heafty taste and texture to it.

I do like white wines though. Red ones always give me a headache.

The most wonderful beer in the world, which I can always find time to drink, is Crown Lager.

Crown Lager was originally brewed in 1919 as "Fosters Crown Lager" and was initially only available to visiting dignitaries that visited Australia. During the first royal visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Australia in 1954 Fosters marked the occasion releasing Crown Lager to the general Australian public.

Crown Lager - Wikipedia

I am partial to the Spanish reds. They're considered a "poor man's red" because they don't come from such distinguished areas where reds are famous, but I once had a merlot (gods wish I could remember the label!) that amazed me with its dominant fruit flavour, only the merest taste of tannin. I'm very fond of those as a result.

Wolff Blass (I may have spelled this wrong) makes a brilliant Cabernet.

I'm partial to a Riesling from time to time, but it has to be a good one or it's just like drinking tonic water.

I turned my ex into a bit of a wine snob because he used to hate the stuff as well, but once I got him to try a few Spanish reds and the local strawberry fruit wines, he's managed to come over and knows more about wine than I do now.

....the thing with wine is I usually enjoy it with food, so talking about it is only going to make me hungry and possibly turn this into a beer, wine and food recipes thread. Which might possibly be silly.

Wolf Blass... yeah! Oh you SO have to join TCO now :smiley:

Wolf Blass is from South Australia - specifically the Barossa Valley.

Trillian said:
I honestly think most young folk's hatred of beer is because they haven't had good beer. Come on, Budwieser? Miller Light? Fosters, Australian for Wee? But then most hate coffee as well. If it's not loaded with sugar and tastes like lemonade, they just won't drink it. There was an advert here for Hobgoblin, holding out a glass of ale with the caption reading "What's the matter, lager-boy, afraid you might taste something?" I want that as a t-shirt.

Don't worry, laddies, you'll grow out of it!

I know it's a foreign concept in the states, but you can enjoy an alcoholic drink and it doesn't make you evil, alcoholic, or irresponsible. We save that for the footy, actually, but I digress.

There's good wine too, and then there's felgercarb wine. I certainly wouldn't introduce a novel wine-drinker to cabernet sauvignon, or any chardonnay that comes out of a box of a screw top lid. I like a decent flavour beer because I actually tend to grow sick of the taste of alcohol, and I don't drink to get wasted - I've never been drunk in my life. I reach a certain point and my mind says "Right, you're going to be sober now." Any bloke who ever attempted to ply me with alcohol to make me a better target usually ended up giving up when he ran out of money.

Being a Kid and all...
I've had 2.5 beers that I ever liked:
Murphy's Irish Stout
Guinness
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (.5)

It's been so long since I realy drank/tasted any that I only remember the taste of guinness.
BALEYS FTW

I think some people do have this puritanical fear of alcohol which is almost as unhealthy, in some ways, as actually being an alcoholic.

Back