The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee

The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee

The Birthgrave was first published in 1975, and I read it not long after. It made such an impact that it joined the select group of books I've read more than once, and now I've read it for the third time, decades later. I had forgotten almost everything except the general outline, so I was able to enjoy it all over again.

The story is set on another world, with an early medieval culture; small city states, nomadic groups, constant little wars and skirmishes, swords and primitive cannon, and multiple deities. The nameless heroine is the sole survivor of a race of cruel, humanoid, super-beings who had previously ruled this world before being wiped out by disease, leaving their human slaves to carry on. She wakes after a long coma and goes out into the world, where she is hailed as a goddess but finds herself strangely powerless, haunted by dreams of the magnificence and horror of her past. She is controlled and manipulated by ambitious men, and only breaks free right at the end of the book, which suddenly includes a science fiction element to add to the fantasy.

Tanith Lee's writing is rich and strong, powerfully evocative of the cultures her heroine moves through. It is frequently gritty and brutal; the death rate around the heroine – among friends as well as enemies – reaches epic proportions. There is a sustained account of a vicious form of chariot race, in which the tension is gradually built up from the initial preparations, through the training and into the race itself, until its crashing climax. This passage is so well-written and gripped me so strongly that I couldn't put the book down until the race was over.

If there is any criticism I could make of the book, it is that a greater than usual suspension of disbelief is required to accept an almost invulnerable super-race of god-like powers, who can live on air and even survive for years in a coma in an airless environment. There is also an unexplained inconsistency in the basic timeline of the book: the heroine grows from child to adult while in a sixteen-year coma and is supposed to be only twenty, yet the cities of her youth had fallen into ancient ruins and the memory of her race had faded into legend.

One thing which slightly surprised me: a couple of scenes which I recalled from previous readings weren't actually in the book; they must be in the sequels, Shadowfire and Quest for the White Witch. Oh well, they're sitting on my shelf with a rather expectant air…

(This entry is cross-posted from my science-fiction & fantasy blog.)

{Kevin makes a mental note that once he is done with his 'real world' stuff that is keeping him offline these days, to go back and build a master list of Tony's recommended reading material. :cool: }

A very nice blog, Tony does a great job!

I read some Tanith Lee many years ago
(Tales From The Flat Earth) I believe it was.
If I remember it was pretty dark.

Here is a link for more

You might find this an interesting source for more books

Here is a review of Tales From The Flat Earth series
Although seemingly the final volume, Delirium's Mistress was followed one year later by a fifth volume, Night's Sorceries. On the surface, this book is a collection of short stories, loosely related to the previous volume, since they take place at roughly the same time. Each is introduced with a note explaining the temporal/spatial relationship. "The Prodigal" provides some insight into Narasen's reign as Queen Death, after Uhlume's abdication. "Dooniveh, The Moon" is a marvelous story, almost a fairy tale, about a monk from Nannafir, who flies to the moon on a winged horse and has many strange adventures leading up to the wedding of the Moon Queen and the Sun King. The horse was a gift from Hazrond to Azhriaz when he courted her before the fall of Nannafir. The final tale, "The Daughter of the Magician," recounts the story of a mage who resurrects the soul of Azhriaz. Though successful with the resurrection, his overall plot fails and the child, Ezail, ends up as a sacrifice to a monster, created as the counterpart of the winged horse in "Dooniveh, The Moon." Recognizing the creature as an undelivered part of Hazrond's gift, she regains her memory of self and reunites with Chuz, who happens by in the reincarnation of a young boy named Chavir. Taking their monster with them, they elect to live out the game of love and the game of death once more.

I've never read Night's Sorceries. I guess I need to add that to my reading list. {Now to dig out the series again- where did I put that box?}

Back