Comedy The Breakfast Club (1985)

sugababyboo

mrs. charlie
Title: The Breakfast Club

Tagline: They only met once, but it changed their lives forever.

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: John Hughes

Cast: Emilio Estevez, Paul Gleason, Anthony Michael Hall, John Kapelos, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Perry Crawford, Mary Christian, Ron Dean, Tim Gamble, Fran Gargano, Mercedes Hall

Release: 1985-02-15

Runtime: 98

Plot: Five high school students from different walks of life endure a Saturday detention under a power-hungry principal. The disparate group includes rebel John, princess Claire, outcast Allison, brainy Brian and Andrew, the jock. Each has a chance to tell his or her story, making the others see them a little differently -- and when the day ends, they question whether school will ever be the same.
The Breakfast Club (1985)

Who else loves this 80's classic? This by far is the best teen movie because of its writing (John Hughes is a god), the acting and the comedy. I was shocked to learn that the scene when they're all sitting on the floor was ad-libbed. Bravo Brat Pack, Bravo!

I love ANY John Hughes production from the 80's even some of his non-teen movies like She's Having a Baby and Planes, Trains, & Automobiles (the latter movie I bought on DVD yesterday, btw).

My favorite scene is where Andrew explains why he really is in detention. It's a very powerful scene. In the edited for tv versions on cable networks, they actually cut out all doobage smoking scenes ("Chicks can not hold the smoke, that's what it is.").

Molly Ringwald was so great! I know that she's doing broadway now, but I'd really love it if she came back to the movies. I love Anthony Michael Hall too!

The director's cut of the movie is over 2 hours long and John Hughes is the only one in the entire world that has it! I would absolutely love it if he and the studio released it on DVD with commentary! It would be great to see the gang back together again.

For a different point of view,

I thought this movie was stereotypical and contrived. It also preached and preached and preached. The whole thing makes me groan. :o_O:

It's in my list of the ten worst films of all time (Bollywood not included :lol: ). And I generally love 80s films, as that's what I grew up with.

Compared to today's teen films, this has to be one of the best. Everything today is so PC and at least the film doesn't have everyone at a dance performing a choregraphed dance sequence (that's right "She's All That" I'm talking about you). Grantedd the actors look too old to be teens but a lot of teen roles today are still portrayed by adults.

Let's not forget that most of them (the characters) had gotten high which explained their openess to one another later on in the film. The ending implied that four out of the five of them may have gotten together instead of showing them on Monday morning walking through the school hallways holding hands.

Personally, I wouldn't call this one of the worst films ever (Has anyone seen feardotcom??) Is it the greatest, no but it is one of the best.

I'm a Breakfast Club fan and always have been.... and I just saw on MSN that during the MTV movie awards on June 9th the cast is going to be reunited (Emilio Estevez is the only one who hasn't confirmed).... Yellowcard is going to be playing the theme from the movie "Don't you forget about me".....

I didn't have a reason to watch the MTV movie awards... Now I do... (y)

freakforalias said:
I'm a Breakfast Club fan and always have been.... and I just saw on MSN that during the MTV movie awards on June 9th the cast is going to be reunited (Emilio Estevez is the only one who hasn't confirmed).... Yellowcard is going to be playing the theme from the movie "Don't you forget about me".....

[post="1362135"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Me too! I hope someone who has a wire image account or getty one can post pictures. I'm really hoping that imdb does!

freakforalias said:

[post="1362135"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

On the Subject of a reunion... apparantly the original idea was to make one film every ten years charting the lives of the club as they all grow up but for some reason (probably Estevez) these never got made.

Well, I think recently all the actors (maybe not emilio) have accpeted that TBC is what made them a household name. All of them took roles to distance themselves from TBC but I think them agreeing to reunite is a sign that they're embracing their past.

I would love to have a sequel made and John Hughes wrote and directed. I miss him, the only work he has done of late is coming up with the story for "Maid in Manhattan" Come back John, the movie industry needs you!

I really liked TBC. But it's not my favorite 80s movie. That honor would belong to one of John Cusack's many movies, because I just love him so much :love:

I loved John Hughes movie because of Anthony Michael Hall..hubba hubba what s sexy geek he was but now, he is a grown man :D I can't wait to see him on the mtv movie awards!

i've never seen it, but they showed a little bit of the movie at the mvas, so now i'm interested, i think i'll try and rent it- it looks really good :woot:
and i love molly ringwald, pretty in pink and 16 candles are awesome!