The Carl Lumbly Thread

Yay for Dixon! Carl Lumbly is great...it's too bad I never watched Mantis. But I did see Buckaroo Bonzai, and I think Carl was one of the Aliens? I don't know. He was also in the Color of Friendship, a nice Disney Movie.

A guy in my grade at school's dad "knows Carl Lumbly". Actually, this is very possible because Carl went to college here, as did this guy's dad (and when he first heard I liked Alias he was like "Isn't Carl what's-his-name in that show?").

This is a half attempt to breathe life back into this thread.

You can find his credits on his IMDB page. Gee, I hadn't remembered he was on EZ Streets. Now there was a good series that was wasted by preemption and being kicked around the schedule!
;)

Carl is so cool. He's a really great actor. Plus, he's from Minnesota! It is always cool to see people from where you live make it big. I'm happy to see his character Dixon getting more involved with the storyline.

What? No one has posted here after Carl Lumbly's performance in the finale? OK, I will, then. He was incredible. Just incredible. Enough said.

It's odd to see Alias actors appear in another movie/TV show when you didn't know it was coming. It's mostly repeats for me, because there is often an article posted about any new TV/movie appearances, but when I first saw Merrin Dungey in Ed TV, it was so odd, especially because Merrin's (minor) character in Ed TV is so different from Francie.

Widely recognized by television viewers for his role as Agent Marcus Dixon on the popular sci-fi action television series Alias, actor Carl Lumbly has been appearing on both the big and small screens since the late '70s. With early appearances on Cagney and Lacey and L.A. Law, as well as roles in such high-profile releases as Pacific Heights (1990) and How Stella Got her Groove Back (1998), chances are you'd recognize Lumbly's face even if his name doesn't immediately ring a bell. A native of Jamaica who attended Minnesota's Macalester College, his career in journalism eventually led to acting when he was assigned to write a story about a local workshop theater. Subsequently immersing himself in the improvisational company for the next two years, it wasn't long before Lumbly made his film debut in Escape From Alcatraz (1979). Gaining an impressive list of small-screen credits with appearances in such popular sitcoms as The Jeffersons and Taxi, the 1980s proved both busy and fruitful as offers continued to roll in. Cast in the lead of the series M.A.N.T.I.S. in 1994, Lumbly essayed the role of a paralyzed scientist who dons a specially designed exoskeleton in the name of fighting crime. Though the show had a small devoted fan base, it was soon taken off the air, and Lumbly rounded out the decade with roles in such made-for-television films as Nightjohn (1996), Buffalo Soldiers (1997), and Border Line (1999). After returning to series work in Alias, Lumbly provided voice work for the animated television series the Justice League, and took the lead in longtime friend Danny Glover's family-friendly drama Just a Dream. The following year found the popular Lumbly remaining family-friendly with a featured role in the made-for-television remake Sounder. ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide

Back