The Catch going forward

Crew News

Official News Poster
From zap2it:

Abrams' 'Catch' Back on Track at ABC
(Wednesday, March 23 09:38 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) "The Catch," a long-in-development pilot from "Alias" and "Lost" creator J.J. Abrams, is finally ready to begin filming.

The show, originally about a pair of bounty hunters, first showed up on ABC's development slate last spring. At the time, it was intended as a midseason replacement starring "Alias" and "Felicity" veteran Greg Grunberg and Orlando Jones, with comic Don Rickles in a supporting role.

Jones later departed the show, and late last year writer-producer John Eisendrath, who has worked with Abrams on "Alias," joined the project with an eye toward revamping it.

Eisendrath, who also created ESPN's "Playmakers," has a development deal with Touchstone TV, which is producing "The Catch."

The rewritten pilot, in which Grunberg will play a private eye and single dad, begins filming this week, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Rickles remains on board as Grunberg's grandfather and business partner, while Kym Whitley ("Deliver Us from Eva," "The Parkers") will play their new associate.

Joanne Kelly ("Jeremiah") and Daylia Wallace have also joined the cast, playing Grunberg's sister and daughter.

I don't know...it just feels like a step backward for J.J. Abrams and ABC. After the phenomenal success of Lost, I was hoping that if they decided to go forward with this, they would revamp it to be similar to that - more mysterious, more sci-fi...more original. The premise doesn't pique my interest at all, as much as I love Greg Grunberg. There have been too many shows about detectives. I hope that at least they use a long story-arc setup, rather than a self-contained procedural format.

Back