The Chronicles of Spellborn

Dyngo

Cadet
I tried to find if this game had its own thread, but didn't find any, so here we go.

I'm very interested in this game, however, I have to admit that I'm seduced by the visual design... and almost only that. I know very little of game mechanics and endgame but maybe you could help me fill out those blanc's.

It should be released Q1 2007 (mmorpg.com release list), and I think I will take a closer look. Hopefully get an invitation to the last beta phase.
And as HJ probably wont be released Q2 2007 (even tho I really really hope so) I need something to do.

What is your impression of this game?

WatchMaker said:
Looks like a refined L2 to be honest.

game mechanics or the visuals?
Cant say about game mechanics, but the visual design is far from Lineage 2. However, L2 look fantastic as well, allthough I hated that game (played it 2 years)

I've been beta testing this for a while. To be honest, it doesn't do much for me. The mechanics are very strange, and the storyline is so "hidden" it's pretty difficult to follow.

However, there's still quite a bit to do with it so who knows.

I have been checking up on this game from time to time. I, too, find the visual format enticing and unqiue, and the concept is a refreshing step away from your traditional fantasy fare. The few movies I have watched did not reveal anything startling in regards to gameplay, but I do not know much about the mechanics.

I tihnk my favorite aspect is the look of the characters. It does feel a bit foreign, like it might be difficult to relate to, epsecially when the majority of games follow a more or less standard fantasy pattern, but I think I may try it out. At the moment it is a toss up between Vanguard, LOTR, and Chronicles of Spellborn (with HJ at the top of course), I may wait and check out the reviews once the games are released. Or I may just wait until HJ is released...:smiley:

Not in beta. Lore concept is interesting, not sure they can pull it off though. Graphics seem fine. Haven't checked in for a long time so no idea if they ever got game play info posted. Will have to check it out some more.

They do have a few interesting features, some even close to what we might see in HJ.

A few that woke my interest:

You create your outfit when you creating your character.
Cloth, armour and weapon. There's no stats on those items.
"skill"-based system. Almost classless. You will, however, form you character into a certain archetype as theres some skills bound to these archetypes, but start classless.
You will be able to change stats and skills with sigil's (place in jewellery and weapons, but as far as I know, not in armour) (Socketed items with a cherry on top?)
No autotarget (finally), they use something they call a FPS-based aimsystem. You have to aim to hit, and at the same time be able to dodge attacks.
A totally screwed (in a good way) skilldeck for combat that nobody seems to understand. :smiley:
No Raids. Max PvE groups will be 4, and 8 in PvP. It might be up to 12 in future patches/expansions. (small guilds.. nice nice)

The visual design is very nice (I like toon-ish style), and the lore seems interesting. I dont no much about the RP status yet...

CotS was right up there with Vanguard once upon a time as my most waited for MMOs. Tyrswind I know is still excited about it, honestly I haven't read up very much about it.

... I should send a link to Vahsyl.

Looked promising to me. Watched some of the available vids on character customization and, well I guess I would need to see more as it wasn't to my liking.

Other games manage to make places post-cataclysms and such that tore the entire world asunder without having that sort of art direction, but it might not even be the "dark" that I dislike. I'm just not fond of the art and trying to pinpoint a reason why.

perhaps its the toon-ish art?
Some people like the more realistic visuals, like in HJ. Some prefer Toon-ish, like wow or, in this case, Spellborn. (or it's something in between, some like toonish but not the design..and so on)

I don't really like realistic art, usually because its never really look good, and even look stupid somtimes. And it usually get outdated faster.

CotS was right up there with Vanguard once upon a time as my most waited for MMOs. Tyrswind I know is still excited about it, honestly I haven't read up very much about it.

... I should send a link to Vahsyl.

You are evil, do you know that? Don't you dare. Evil.

perhaps its the toon-ish art?
Some people like the more realistic visuals, like in HJ. Some prefer Toon-ish, like wow or, in this case, Spellborn. (or it's something in between, some like toonish but not the design..and so on)

I don't really like realistic art, usually because its never really look good, and even look stupid somtimes. And it usually get outdated faster.

I actually liked WoW's art. It's not really the way it's done so much as the style makes me sick to my stomach. It's sort of meant to, I think, but I don't like that feeling.

I thought WoW was a bit too brightly colored. Or maybe it was because I was playing an orange dwarf. It could've used more brown in either case.

Though I LOVE what I've seen of HJ's in-game art. Normally I hate game forests, but what I saw on the movies makes me want to make a ranger.

I'm also looking forward to this game. Although I agree about the world seeming colorless. The art direction is very strong, though, and I hope that will balance the aesthetics.

The style is very much Eurpean comic-style... similar I suppose, to Saga of Ryzom, only more exaggerated. I don't really like how the humans' faces look, but the Daevi (my race of choice) look great in my opinion.

Back