The CoolSciFi Literature Poll

What fiction do you like to read the most?

• Hard SciFi

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Science Fiction

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Adventure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horror

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Alternate Reality

• Mystery

• Romance

• War

• Something Else

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
HHHmm... I think a multi-choice poll would've worked better in my case. Most of my reading is about split even between sci-fi/fantasy novels, with a trend towards horror like King & Koontz, and with 'suspense' type novels dealing with the Cold War, WWII, and others in the genre. Based upon my 2007 reading list I had to give the slight nod to the latter category so I went to the Mystery poll option.

Webster

The Red Tarheel
Interesting choices...........I don't have any particular favorites(over on the scifiexplorers website I've got some of the sci/fi novels I've read over the past year......look under the thread First Post over there..........

Anyway, I'm more inclined to read military sci/fi than any other sci-fi sub/genre(one particular favorite of mine is Starship Troopers..how a really good novel like that could get turned into an abominable movie is beyond the pale.......:mad:).....right now I'm reading some of the Honor Harrington series of novels by David Weber(a very good series of novels IMO)

.....oh, I voted for the war option on the poll(didn't see military sci/fi listed, so I went with the closest option listed).....

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
mlittle2005, it sounds like our preferred reading genres might have some overlap. I've already read Starship Troopers but am not familiar with the Honor Harrington series. What other titles/authors would you put on the recommended reading list?

Webster

The Red Tarheel
mlittle2005, it sounds like our preferred reading genres might have some overlap. I've already read Starship Troopers but am not familiar with the Honor Harrington series. What other titles/authors would you put on the recommended reading list?
There's a couple of authors and titles that come to mind......
~~Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
~~David Drake, Hammer's Slammers series
~~Wing Commander series of books(written by several authors including Mercedes Lackey and William Forstchen)
~~Joe Haldeman, The Forever War
~~Barry Longyear's novella Enemy Mine

Tom

An Old Friend
I'm still building the list and I am just going by the recommended titles but soon I will be adding the titles I own too.

Tim

Creative Writer
Can't see anything and I have a facebook account!

Could be due to not having the widget myself or simply not in friends circle

If I had to choose, I prefer fantasy in novels, and sci-fi in films.

I love it when I get an unexpected crossover, though... I just finally got around to reading all of Terry Brooks' "Shannara" titles; I'd read the earlier ones when I was a kid, but hadn't checked out the later series. The second book of the "Voyage" series takes a weird sci-fi turn; totally caught me by surprise! One moment, it's all "swords 'n' sorcery"; the next, he's talking about giant AI systems utilizing magic-weilding elves as energy sources?!? It was cool, though!

I chose 'fantasy', but I would qualify 'heroic fantasy' as being the specific genre I seek out above all others. Stuff like Robert E. Howard, David Gemmell, and Karl Edward Wagner.

I like both fantasy and sci-fi. However, if I have to pick one it's fantasy. I like the mixture of mid evil history and magic/technology.

Top Bottom