The Criticism Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hibou

Cadet
OK. Sorry if there is already a thread like this, but I didn't see it.

Everyone has problems when it comes to making fanarts, etc. I think we should have a thread where people can ask others in the community about what they need to improve on, etc, and get some fresh inspiration. But this can only happen if everyone follows the rules.

RULES
1. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS (ie. XYZ can't make art for felgercarb, my three-year-old can do better than you.)
2. Only ask if you are willing to take the heat. Don't come crying to somebody about what someone else said, it was your choice
3. Don't comment on people who haven't ASKED to be commented on. You can't just say "ABC's latest piece is really bad" when they haven't asked for any input.
4. Use 'nice' words. Don't say 'your text looks like s***'. Instead say 'one thing you can work on is your text placement.' that way no one's feelings get hurt just from the words themselves.
5. No pre-posting art in order to get an opinion on it before you submit it to a competition. This is past-works only! That way nobody gets a little extra help on something that they will be competing with other's who did it alone. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT DOING THIS, I WILL REPORT YOU TO THE CHALLENGE HOST
6. If you are new, or just want input on a specific piece you made, please post the piece too. And don't forget credits

OK, well I guess I'll be the first one...What do you think I could do to improve my work? Here's my latest piece (Already posted in the December Fanart Challenge)

Title: So Enchanted
Pics: Alias-Media, Stocks from Jems
Brushes: AWB and Vered, umm one more but I forget so I'll list all the brushes I have: Damnapple, Evenstar, Misprinted Type, AVH, Roshiweb, Misty Illusion, Total Immersion, Hybrid Genesis, Aurora, and Echoica
Textures: Krisnreine
Lyrics: Enchanted by Katy Rose

looks great. only thing (which sometimes doesnt look good anyway) is maybe less saturation on the pics. but thats my preference, i like black and white or nearly black and white :smiley:

See, that was the perfect reply ^^. Thanks DB

I personally think my text placement is something I have to work on but, ehh

I love the use of texture. :smiley: The one thing I would change is, as you said, the color of the text (tho the font and placement IMO is perfect), and the pictures in the polaroid frames. They could use some effects, possibly similar to the effects used on the main picture. But otherwise, it is a great piece. ^_^ I like the lightness, and the brushes, too (forgot to mention that before :D).

Thanks. I actually did use some effects on the polaroids, but I guess the texture smoothed them out (I did smudge stick, err I think that's what it's called).

Critisize away!

TITLE: Everything
PICS: Alias-Media
BRUSHES: tere, evenstar, damnapple, vered
TEXTURES: Amanda, me, Bad Karma, Jaimie, Leah
FONT: Georgia
LYRICS: My Happy Ending//Avril Lavigne
EPISODE: Truth Be Told
post-6100-1103412583.jpg

mmkay, my three entries in challenges that i'm unsure if i like them....please give me some imput because i think they're missing something.

first one's credits are in the Dec. challenge thread
second is in the textless
and the third is in the default challenge

hmm is this thread really necessary?? :thinking: I would like to think people give critical feedback wherever art is posted - at least the other artists do. For example - if I am hosting a challenge I comMent on every piece and say what I like or do not like about it. I would hope everyone here does the same - if not why are we posting our art - are we simply looking for people to lie and say everything we do is great?????? :confused: cos if that is why we post art then thats sad. -_- I post art to share with others and so that I can get critical feedback from others about what i create. Perhaps it would be better if people simply read THIS THREAD and started making decent comments about the art posted rather than simply posting art in this thread which has already been posted elsewhwre. There really is no need for continued reposting the same attachments over and over in a challenge thread - a wallpaper thread AND a critisism thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We may have a lot of web space but seriously guys - there is no need. -_-

and as far art the art here goes some criticism-

UncoveringAlias - i love the arrangment of your piece - the brushwork is really great and goes well with the layout - its perhaps a little pale for my taste but it works well with the theme. I feel it needs more text and in a darker color so it stands out a litle more :smiley: I disagree with salad about the pics needing to be desaturated - i like the natural colors under the white. :smiley:

rileylovesalias - really gorgeous! the darkness is the best thing about it cos it defines the ending and overall theme - sadness. lovely blending and filter work.

jaimie
- first two both pretty and sparkly. I feel the mia piece - the picture of her standing is not very well blended (which from you is very unexpected as you blend so well) - it looks too much like she has been cut out. but the overall layout of the piece is very good and the colors are so pretty!! the colorblind piece is fantastic - blending at its best - and a gorgeous arrangment too! (y)

seriously guys - if you are so desperate feedback - ASK FOR IT WHEN YOU POST!!!

i am closing since this thread is just encouraging people to repost stuff which is already viewable elsewhere. please read leslies thread about commenting on peoples work from a more artistic point of view.

Any questions feel free to PM me. :smiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back