The DaVinci Code Discussion

I'm dubious about it being a good film to be honest. Casting of Reno & Tautou isn't bad, but I ain't a Hanks fan & he ain't Langdon.

Plus, while i'm sure they'll be able to transplant the thriller elements well, I can't see them getting the theories over without doing it in a rush. How exactly can they do the Teabing/Langdon/Sophie exposition scene on film as in the book, one of it's standout bits?. They can't.

The jury's out on this one. Marvellous book, though.

And is it all true?. Who knows. I'm an open-minded sceptic... :D

plus, wont they have a bit of a christian bashing???

well I odnt think the film can ever beat the book, but everything is worth a try.

i mean all the symbols behind it, the pentagons, how can they portray all that information throguh spoken language?

I started to read it some days ago and I love it! I don't know why I haven't started before, because I already read Illuminati, and that was in summer!

cinders said:
plus, wont they have a bit of a christian bashing???

well I odnt think the film can ever beat the book, but everything is worth a try.

i mean all the symbols behind it, the pentagons, how can they portray all that information throguh spoken language?
[post="1203842"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly, it's going to be nigh-on impossible to recreate the complexity of the book on film. As you say, it's worth a go & i'll check out the movie, but I am very sceptical.

And the Christian bashing?. Quite possibly, but remember this is Hollywood. If a European studio were making it, the more controversial ideas & theories might be translated fully, but since we're dealing with conservative America, I reckon the whole melting pot of the truth about the Holy Grail will be extremely watered down. They'll focus more on the thrills & the action instead of getting across the ideas themselves.

Of course, I could be completely wrong & the film will do the book justice. I hope so... :D

cinders said:
anyone think theres any truth behind the whole holy grail story?? I do!! but maybe that's because I'm a christianity cynic
[post="1219069"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think its true ... maybe because I feel the depth of the story is too real not to be true ... ;)

yeh it was written so well, you almost want to find the painint in the louvre yourself to be sure. But yeh, i think there is a possibility, I mean it makes sense doesnt it?!

I finished it months ago and can't wait for the film. The thing is, I read it so long ago that I don't remember too much, but I can tell the movie will be faithful so I'll remember things the second I see them.

but it also looks even creepier than the novel....there will be plenty of *chills up and down your spine* moments. anywayz if you haven't read it, read it because it is one of the most intriguing novels i have ever read. although it is a work of fiction. you know that by the fact that it is a novel--not a non-fiction book (though certain threads contain truth, like the organization Opus Dei).

I just finished it on Friday, and I must say that it was one of the best books I have read (and trust me there are a lot :lol:smiley:. There justy so much in it that is interesting, and really makes you think. Like the thing about how Walt Deisney actually had things about Mary Megdalene(sp?) in his movie. I think that is juts so cool. Can't wait to see the movie on Friday :woot: !!!!

~Andrea :angelic:

I liked this book (meaning the plot and the concept) but I didn't like the way it was written. I found Dan Brown's writing style to be tedious and it took me two tries to get through the book. The book read too much like a movie (I dunno if that makese sense). But I'm excited for the movie :smiley:.

i read it, and i didn't really like it. it's genious of course, dan brown has done an amazing job writing it, and he writes well but all in all it wasn't as good as you'd think it would be judging from all the attention it's gotten...i think it's a little overrestimaded. i didn't like the ending, and the book could have been made like 200 pages shorter. technically there could be some truth behing the whole holy grail story, but what also bugged me was that while there was a lot of fact about history, religion and mythology, you never knew which you could trust, like what's fact and what's fiction? that annoyed me a bit. but i liked how there were a lot of interesting ideas and theories like the walt disney thing.

i'm gonna go see the movie next week, and it'll be really interesting to see how they've done it, i'm looking forward to it! :smiley:

Coming from a fundamentalist home, I'm always troubled by people being threatened by FICTION. To me, that sort of undermines your own beleifs if you think them on equal footing with the "occult" references in Disney cartoons of the "heresy" in a work of fiction. One should place their beleifs ABOVE that, and not go picking fights with what most people clearly know and understand to be simple entertainment.

I myself enjoyed the book and the film. But as someone who likes long films, this one was too long. I always like grail quest films (I hadn't read the book) so I enjoyed that aspect. It was a piss poor and at times grossly innacurate primer in the gnostic concepts it was trying to convey but as I said, if you just sit down and accept it as disposable entertainment, it succeeded adequately enough. Not great, mind you, but good.

Why the group felt the need to bring the albino along to England still escapes me though....

Back