The DaVinci Code Discussion

^ Well, films do usually have to leave out a lot of the details. After all, they have to try fit in everything in about 2.5 hours.

I think Tom Hanks could work. He may look nothing like the character in the book, but I don't doubt he can pull off the personality. He's pretty much guaranteed to provide a great performance. Also, I don't mind if they seperate book-Langdon from movie-Langdon. That way, both would have two different identities. You don't need to follow the book exactly on everything.

Now, I wonder who's going to play Sophie. I don't know that many French actresses. Because Hanks is in his late forties, they could make her a little older too.

I love Tom Hanks, and though he may not be my first choice to play Langdon, I don't think he will disappoint. And I'm glad they cast Jean Reno!

According to this article, they are planning on casting foreign actors for the other parts:

NEWSWEEK EXCLUSIVE: Tom Hanks Cast as Lead in 'The Da Vinci Code'

Perfect for Cerebral Role; 'Hanks is an Exciting Actor to Watch Thinking,' Director Ron Howard Says

NEW YORK, Nov. 14 -- Tom Hanks has been pegged to play the
lead role in Sony's upcoming film "The Da Vinci Code," the adaptation of author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller, Newsweek has learned. Director RonHoward and producer Brian Grazer, the duo who helped make Hanks a star with their 1984 comedy "Splash" and rehired him 11 years later for "Apollo 13,"
cast Hanks as the globe-trotting scholar Robert Langdon, a decision based partially on the cerebral (riddle-solving, code-cracking) nature of the action in "Da Vinci," Newsweek reports in the November 22 issue (on newsstands Monday, November 15).

"Tom is an exciting actor to watch thinking," Howard tells General Editor Devin Gordon. "We probably don't need his status from a box-office standpoint" -- by now, "The Da Vinci Code" sells itself -- "but he gives Langdon instant legitimacy."

Howard and Grazer are taking their time casting "Da Vinci," but plan to hire actual foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters. "If there's any book that's supposed to be an international thriller, says Grazer, "this is it." Grazer tells Newsweek that one recent Oscar winner inquired about the
role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu, "and she could easily do it. But I think the audience would be let down a bit. They expect a French girl." As for the role of bullish cop Bezu Fache, Gordon reports that Jean Reno is on Grazer's short list.

Grazer first got wind of "The Da Vinci Code" early in 2003, when Joel Surnow -- creator of the acclaimed TV series "24" -- thought "Da Vinci" would make a terrific story line for the show's third season. Surnow asked his boss, Grazer, to look into acquiring the rights, Newsweek reports. But as Brown had
no intention of handing over his book to a mere TV show, Grazer says that "it quickly became clear that we had no chance." A few months later Sony paid $6 million for the movie rights -- and hired Grazer as the producer for the biggest film adaptation since "Harry Potter."

The 53-year-old Grazer, who also paired with Howard on the Oscar-winning "A Beautiful Mind," has several upcoming projects on his slate, including an animated "Curious George" film with Will Ferrell and "Fun with Dick and Jane" starring Jim Carrey. Grazer is also producing a documentary about the notorious skinflick "Deep Throat," Gordon reports. Due out in February, it may be the first NC-17 movie released by a major studio in years.

I wonder who's gonna play Sophie..

Espionage82 said:
I though that the Davinci Code was very cool! I liked it alot! Dan Brown is up there on my favourites list now and i plan to read Angels and Demons.

Oh yeah, btw, did anyone else who read the Davinci Code keep thinking that Teabing's name was Teabag? Well, i did. LOL! Everytime i read his name in the book, my mind would always say "Teabag". I know, i'm weird :smiley:
[post="1066458"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
OMG! that's so scary! Me too! I always always think "Teabag" because the first time that I read it, i read it as Teabag so it never got unstuck :lol:
--mandy :angelic:

I am now at Chapter 47 ... and I just have to say ... so far what a great ride ... (y) (y)

I was left at :wtf: ... after Ch. 46 ... cause I have no clue how the Teacher knew about the clues that Sauniere left ... :blink:

P.S. don't tell me ... I will read some more chapters todnight ... ;)

Just read the next 10 chapters ... I am dying to find out who "the Holy Grail" really is???

do you guys think Constantine really did what he did as suggested in the book???

ms.katejones said:
I hope whoever they get to play Silas is really creepy looking.
[post="1073248"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

This newspaper suggested Paul Bettany once and I think the writer got it right on. He would be a perfect Silas. He already has the sort of sickly skinny assassin look going on.

^ It's an interesting read with all the theories about DaVinci and Jesus. But, the book lacks a good ending. It just kind of stops abruptly, as if the author ran out of ideas. Also, you may be a little disappointed by the story because of all the hype. This is a good book, but it just doesn't compare to George Orwell, Ayn Rand, etc. Although, this book isn't really famous for its writing, but rather for the controversy it created.

Wow. The director is thinking like me! I think Julie Delpy would be great.

Looks like they're going for an older cast.

Source: www.comingsoon.net

Julie Delpy Up for The Da Vinci Code
Source: The Boston Herald November 25, 2004

The Boston Herald talked to French actress Julie Delpy (Before Sunset) who is on the short list to play the female lead opposite Tom Hanks in director Ron Howard's adaptation of Dan Brown's best-seller The Da Vinci Code.

"I'm praying," Delpy told the newspaper. "But we'll see. You never know until there is a solid cast, but I am going to meet them."

Delpy will get a sit-down with Howard and producer Brian Grazer, who are currently casting the film and say they are committed to hiring foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters.

She is up for the role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu who helps Hanks' character - Harvard professor Robert Langdon - find the Holy Grail. "I don't know what their idea for it is," she said, "or if I am right for it. The character is French, in her 30s and has a shade of red in her hair. I can become a redhead!"

Delphy is currently wrapping-up the filming for thriller The Legend of Lucy Keyes in Central Massachusetts.

I totally loved it! And I liked the ending, it gives you something to think about. I read Angels and Demons too but DVC is my favourite ^_^ Gotta love all those riddles and codes.

Speaking of which - does anyone play the Da Vinci Code Web Quest?

I thought this book was entertaining, but it annoyed me in a way :lol:. I think it was because a lot of the random facts the author throws in about many subjects (museum security, historical documents, etc) have turnedo out to be untrue or half-truths. I hate when writers pass false things off as the truth. Pet peeve lol.

^ Well, I didn't mind that as much because this is just a work of fiction after all. It's alright to make stuff up.

But, accuracy does matter to me when watching documentaries or reading information books. There, they're actually trying to (directly) convince you of something, so they should at least tell the truth. That's why I can't stand Michael Moore. He's famous for twisting or manipulating the truth so that it'd look a certain way.

Ew...Tom Hanks is going to be Langdon? Sorry, no offense to any fans but whenever I see him onscreen I just imagine a volleyball named Wilson and a big fuzzy beard. Couldn't they have cast someone like Viggo Mortensen at least?

However, Julie Delpy is a great consideration :smiley:

i liked this book--nice and fluffy--made work go faster on those long summer nights

i still have to read the prequel: Angles and Demons

and can you believe some of the "controversy" surrounding the book? it makes me laugh :lol:

^ It's an interesting read with all the theories about DaVinci and Jesus. But, the book lacks a good ending. It just kind of stops abruptly, as if the author ran out of ideas. Also, you may be a little disappointed by the story because of all the hype

Exactly ... the ending was too abrupt and disappointing ... :(

hopefully, the movie based on the book will be good though ...

Back